Topic Title: Windows volume controls not affecting actual volume over HDMI with 13.1 (resolved)
Topic Summary: The Windows 7 volume level no longer works to adjust real world volume on my TV
Created On: 01/24/2013 10:32 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/24/2013 10:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
jjr120
Peon

I have an issue with volume settings on my HTPC. Previously, when I would adjust the volume in Windows, the actual volume coming out of my TV would be affected. Since updating to Catalyst 13.1, there is no effect. Volume remains consistent from 1 through 50 on the Windows volume meter in Media Center and when manually adjusting the slider in the desktop mixer or in Media Player. The only effect I can get to work now is mute.

This was previously working on Catalyst 11.x through 12.6.

My hardware configuration is:

CPU - AMD Phenom x6 1045T (not overclocked)

RAM - 6GB DDR2 800MHz

MB - AMD 785G chipset (Gigabyte GA-MA785GM US2H)

Graphics - AMD Radeon 6770 1GB (integrated video is disabled)

HD - Two WD Green drives (1TB for boot and games, 2TB for DVR storage), plus a 32GB Sandisk ReadyCache drive for accelleration.

Tuner - Hauppauge WinTV HVR-2250 dual clearQAM internally, Silicondust HDHomeRun Prime three tuner running over the network.

TV - Vizio E500AR 50 inch LCD

OS - Windows 7 64- bit, with SP1 and all current updates.

Please note that this isn't a problem with sound not working. Some kind of signal is making it to the TV, but since I normally use a wireless multimedia keyboard/trackpad combo with volume buttons, it's very annoying to need the TV remote and keyboard in my lap at the same time. I've tried enabling/disabling CEC on the TV and using a variety of stereo vs surround options, but nothing has had any effect so far.

Update: 1/24/2013 11:30 AM - The problem appears to have spontaneously resolved itself. I turned the TV on this morning and Windows sound level adjustments are working again. It's a mystery, as there has been zero maintenance on the computer since I last had the issue yesterday. Not even a reboot or logout.

Update: 1/24/2013 4:00PM - The problem came back. I tracked it down to some kind of interaction between my VOIP application and Media Center causing a conflict. I went into the sound settings in Control Panel and unchecked the boxes that allow applications to take exclusive control of the sound device. This has permanently fixed the issue.

Edited: 01/24/2013 at 04:53 PM by jjr120
Statistics
84136 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.