Topic Title: No HDMI Audio on ATI Radeon 5750 - Is It an Install Issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/25/2013 05:24 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/25/2013 05:24 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

I have Sapphire Radeon 5750 PCI-E.  When I install the AMD 13.1 Catalyst Driver, afterr completion, I get the message Installation complete - Warnings have occurred during installation.  View log for details"  When I click on the "View Log" button, nothing happens.  Only the "Finish" button gets me anywhere.  When I look at Playback Devices, I only see Speakers, and Headphones.  When I open Device Manager, I see an Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus with an Exclamation Point.  When I try to update driver I get the message "Windows found a driver for your device but encountered an error while attempting to install it.  What I'm trying to do is run an HDMI cable to my surround sound to the HDMI2 on my TV so I can watch movies from my computer on the TV.  I'm using the DVI port for computer monitor display.  What am I missing?

01/25/2013 05:30 PM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

My computer setup is

ASUS M2NPV-VM motherboard

AMD+ 6100 Dual Core Processor

4gb RAM

01/31/2013 02:18 AM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

I spoke to ASUS and they say the HDMI audio is controlled by the card.  My display is OK.  Why can't I see the ATI High Definition Audio Device when  click on Playback devices>  I already tried two different 5750 cards.  Could I possibly have had two bad cards?

02/04/2013 02:00 PM

Author Icon
Phoenix18253
Peon

I may have a solution, but I'm not sure it applies if you do have a driver problem.  After installing video card, if you reboot the computer with the tv powered on and connected directly to the PC (not via Suround Sound Unit), do you have sound?

02/04/2013 02:56 PM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

Yes, I have sound, but the sound comes from my PC speakers.  I'm pretty sure the issue lies with my PCI-E slot on my motherboard preventing the HDMI audio from passing through the card.  I took this same video card and put into my son's PCI-E slot on his PC, and the audio comes accross fine on his surround sound system,  My motherboard was purchased in 2007.  I think it's time for a new one.

02/04/2013 03:23 PM

Author Icon
Phoenix18253
Peon

Okay, I am certain the problem has nothing to do with your PC, card, or motherboard.  When you plugged into your sons PC, he had a surround sound connected, but on your PC, you are connecting a TV.  The two devices are likely set up differently.

Check your TV for a INLINK setting, and make sure it is enabled and that the "power on" and "power off" features are enabled.  I think INLINK is an industry standard, but it may be called something else.  It's funtionality is to control attached HDMI devices.  For example, when you turn your TV off, it shuts off the blue ray player connected via HDMI. Look for a similar setting in your TV if it is not called INLINk.

If that does not work, I would try leaving your video card in your PC, and plugging your PC into your son's surround sound system.  Also try installing your card in his PC and plugging his PC into your HDMI device.

Keep in mind that HDMI communicates more than just video and audio.  It is also a data communication between the TV and video card.  Eliminate "ALL" the variables before purchasing another motherboard.  

02/04/2013 03:26 PM

Author Icon
Phoenix18253
Peon

Also, if you find that INLINK setting was not enabled, you may need to reboot and/or check your audio output devices and make sure the HDMI is the default.  Also, after each change close out and open your media program or internet browser before testing again.

02/04/2013 04:33 PM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

My son has the exact same setup as me - we're using HDMI2 to vieww movies located on the PC and viewed on the Hi Def TV.  We're using the the video card's DVI-D port to view on the PC.  The video card's 2nd BUS is using the HDMI connector straight into the surround sound stereo system, and then another HDMI cable from the stereo to HDMI2 on the TV.  I can view the movie located on my PC on both the computer AND TV when I switch the TV's input from HDMI1 to HDMI2, but the sound always comes from the computer's speakers.  To mirror his setup, I'm using the exact same surround sound receiver and video card as he has, and I asked him to configure it the same way as he has it

Weird thing - when I install the drivers for the video card, it tells me warnings have occurred and to view the log, but when I click on the "View Log" button, nothing happens.  The only button I can select is "Finished". When I right click on the Speaker Icon (I'm running Win 7 32 Bit) and open "Playback Devices", it never shows my ATI High Definition Audio Device.  It does display on my son's PC.  Sorry for the italics, accidentally hit the Ctrl key.  When I go into Device Manager on my PC, it shows that a High Definition Audio Device is detected, but it needs a driver, but when I try to install the audio driver again, I get caught in the loop with the "View Log" thing.

02/04/2013 05:18 PM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

This is why I think it has something to do with the PCI-E slot.  I can't even get to a point where I can eliminate all the variables until the PC actually recognizes that there is a HDMI sound device installed.

02/04/2013 06:45 PM

Author Icon
Phoenix18253
Peon

Your problem may have nothing to do with the setup of the TV or Surround system, but I would eliminate it as an option before investigating the PCI-E slot.  Since you said you have already tried swapping the card to his PC, I am assuming he lives relatively close.  

By profession, I deal with these types of issues on a much larger scale with far more redundancies.  I cannot tell you how many times I have set up a system identically to the way I have done it a hundred times, only later to discover something simple that I simply forgot to set up.  It is almost always very simple, and rearely ever has it been hardware.  

Unless you have done something to physically damage the port or unless the card is not compatible, the odds of it being the "Slot" or miniscule.  Electronics do not go bad due to age.  They have no moving parts.  You have to physically break something, apply too much or too little voltage, or overload them to the point something heats up and gives out.  Unless you have done something to cause that kind of damge, I would focus first on eliminating any possibility of human error, and plug you pc into his system, not a system just like it. 

Think of it this way, 

1.  Eliminate human error. If you plug your pc into his system and it doesn't work, you know for sure, without any doubt, that it has nothing to do with the external devices.

2. If you haven't done anything or used any other cards in that slot that have gone bad or done some damage, then there is almost no chamnce the slot is bad.

3. If you have checked compatibility and the card is compatable with your entire system, then the only thing you have left to solve is the driver issue.

4. If it is a driver issue, I would uninstall any and all drivers for any card you have ever used in that slot, then find a driver wipe utility to make sure all remnants of the driver are removed, run a regitry cleaner program.  Use "CCleaner" It is an excellent program.

5. Then try reinstalling the driver.

02/04/2013 06:48 PM

Author Icon
Phoenix18253
Peon

I just had another thought....before doing anything, try uninstalling the driver, and run "CCleaner".  You'll have to re run it several times until it stops finding abandoned registry keys, then reboot and run it again to make sure you got all the registry errors fixed.  THEN, try reinstalling your driver. Download CCleaner here: http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner

02/04/2013 06:54 PM

Author Icon
Phoenix18253
Peon

Oh, and I apologize for not addressing the PC not seeing a HDMI Sound device installed.  Mine was doing the same thing when I lost audio to the tv, and after enabling that INLINK, when I powered the tv on, not ony did it show the HDMI audio driver, but it automatically made it the default audio output device.

02/04/2013 07:45 PM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

Thank you for all your insight, Phoenix.  It is greatly appreciated.  I will try all you suggested, especially the CCleaner.  My son actually lives in the same house as me (upstairs).  I have the house hard wired, set up some shares, and he views movies located on my PC all the time.  I'll go ahead and have him physically move my PC to his setup and see what happens.  First I'll investigate the NLINK thing on my TV and ensure it is active.  FYI, I'm disabled with MS, and if I don't get back to you for a status in a timely *****, it's because I have to wait for my son to become available so he can do any physical work for me.

02/05/2013 12:04 AM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

I did the uninstall of the card, ran ccleaner, and reinstalled the card.  Same issues.  When my son comes home from work I'll see if he can haul my PC upstairs.

02/05/2013 12:06 AM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

Sorry - also checked my TV's setup and networking is active.  I'm able to view pictures located on my PC on the TV.

02/05/2013 01:22 AM

Author Icon
Phoenix18253
Peon

i completey understand the need for patience. i blew my back out in august and am still trying to get used to everything i canmt do.  i would like to see what you find when you try you pc on his setup, but i am sure in the mean time it is frustrating having to wait.  the inlink i was talking about is not networking. it actually communicates through the hdmi cable and is very simplistic in that it only offfers limited control to other devices such as telling them to turn on.  did you see a menu option actually called INLINK?  i was reading back through your posts to see if i missed anything and since you said you tried 2 other cards in that PC, i would be more inclined to lean toward it being a setting in the tv.  i should have prob mentioed this earlier, but i have been thinking that the error you were getting after install might just be a glitch since there was no event log to view.  i have seen that in the past, where an install works correctly, even though it flags an error message. sometimes it's simply a condition the programmers didnt foresee and it causes an error message. where did the driver file come from? if it was on a disk that came with the card, i would try seeing if there is an updated version you can download. if you do download one or have downloaded one, make sure it came directly off the mfg website. ive had a lot of prob with 3rd party download sites. you might have a corrupt install file too.  hope all that made sense. I spent all day frustrated over a vpn connection i cant get working and im beat...lol  sorry all this ran together, i'm typing on my phone and this site wont let me make paragraphs...lol

02/05/2013 01:56 AM

Author Icon
Phoenix18253
Peon

I did a little more digging to see if I could find anything else regarding your driver install, and I may have found something.  Check out this post.  It looks like this other guy had the same problem, and the install utility never installed the hdmi drivers.  If you haven't already, try doing the custom install like it shows in this link and see if you get all the options you are suppose to.  

Ignore the end about the bad card, we already know yours is good sinse it works in your sons pc.

http://www.sevenforums.com/sound-audio/109976-no-sound-hdmi-port-after-installing-ati-radeon-5750-graphics-card.html

02/05/2013 01:57 AM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

Gotcha.  I'll let you know what happens when my PC physically gets moved to his room.  Question for you - I know when I setup Network on my TV, it just grabs a DHCP address from my router.  Do I have to assign this a static IP and configure my router to pass through either the TV's or my static IP?  Or is this a whole different can of worms and has no relevance to the issue at hand?  BTW, I'm very computer literate and used to be a software engineer before my medical condition forced me out.

02/05/2013 02:02 AM

Author Icon
gblazek
Peon

I Googled this issue in the past and have tried this several times to no avail.

02/05/2013 02:10 AM

Author Icon
Phoenix18253
Peon

Yeah, I was surprised there wasn't much out there.  If you run the custom install, does it show on option for HDMI drivers?  I noticed in that post, the guy with the same problem as you didn't even have the option to install hdmi drivers, but there is a screenshot from the other guy that shows one....so I'm thinking maybe that was your warning, and the installer didn't install hdmi drivers.  Might need a different install/driver file.  

You should try running that custom install and see what options it gives you, and let me know.

Statistics
84907 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.