Topic Title: DVI monitor turns off when HDMI is off
Topic Summary: Wierd behaviour after upgrade to 13.1
Created On: 01/26/2013 01:24 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/26/2013 01:24 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Oneiros42
Peon

My setup is as follows: I have a 21" monitor connected via DVI port, and a surround receiver connected to the HDMI port, with the receiver connected to a 32" LCD TV.  I do general computing on the monitor and games through the TV.  I usually have one screen on at a time, but occasionally both together.

HOWEVER.

After updating the driver to 13.1, the graphic card would only turn on the DVI port if there was any kind of active connection on the HDMI port.  I could only use my monitor if either the TV and the receiver were on; if either was off (and not sending power to the HDMI port) my monitor would turn off (as opposed to going blank).  I would have to physically disconnect the HDMI cable to be able to use the monitor with the receiver or TV off.  This did not occur in the BIOS, only in Windows, and only when an ATI driver was installed.  I used the ATI cleaner utility to remove the driver and when I would restart and Windows would be free of ATI drivers, I would be able to use the monitor while the HDMI connection was inactive.  I even reinstalled the older driver (12.11) but the problem still happened.  I had to perform a system restore to the day before to get everything working properly again.

Since the computer kept switching off the DVI even when I cleaned the system and installed an older driver again, I'm kind of inclined to think there's some obscure setting that I missed when I was futzing around with the drivers.  It would explain why only a system restore got my setup back to the way it was before.  Anybody know what I'm talking about?  I can't upgrade my drivers until I know what was causing the auto-switch from DVI to HDMI.

I'm using a Sapphiretech HD 7850 2GB OC card in Windows 7 64bit.

Edited: 01/26/2013 at 01:33 AM by Oneiros42
 02/15/2013 01:02 AM

Author Icon
tamaran
Peon

I am having the same problem as you report here...did you find a solution? Thanks

02/15/2013 01:16 AM

Author Icon
Oneiros42
Peon

After researching it I figured the problem was the HDCP handshake.  I found some directions to fix it, but while the directions didn't work out for me (some info wasn't showing up the way it should have) I might have accidentally solved it in the process.

What I recommend you do is go to Device Managers and under "Monitors" you should uninstall whichever is your TV (Generic PnP in my case) and reboot.  If that doesn't do it, follow the directions I found and hopefully it'll work for you: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1065232/official-asus-xonar-hdav1-3-thread/8100#post_17448181

02/15/2013 02:31 PM

Author Icon
tamaran
Peon

Thanks Oneiros42 for your reply. Uninstalling Generic PNP and rebooting simply replaced it again with the same. Creating infs with moninfo wont work as Windows simply says..."we have determined you are already using the best driver".  Pulling out my hair is coming along nicely though. GGGGRRRR....doh..forgot about 'have disk' to override....

Edited: 02/15/2013 at 03:44 PM by tamaran
Statistics
86428 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.