Topic Title: Driver instabilities and incompatibilities
Topic Summary: Enough is enough..
Created On: 01/29/2013 07:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/29/2013 07:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
AtotehZ
Peon

I have had 3 AMD/ATI cards now, and in different "eras".

It is always the same. The drivers are horrible and incompatible with either old or new games. If you want to play a specific older game the support staff tells you to "downgrade your drivers" , and im only talking games a year or 2 old. Newer games will then be incompatible instead.

This is unfortunately the way things are being done at AMD/ATI. If they'd pay more attention to their drivers it would be my joy to buy one of their cards again.

Until I hear very good news on exactly this front from 3rd party tech sites I won't buy another AMD/ATI card.

Enough is enough.

01/29/2013 08:53 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Have fun with nVidia then, not like they ever have any problems *sarcasm*. Now if you have a specific issue then we can attempt to help you, but without any information, we can't.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/29/2013 09:33 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: AtotehZ I have had 3 AMD/ATI cards now, and in different "eras".

It is always the same. The drivers are horrible and incompatible with either old or new games. If you want to play a specific older game the support staff tells you to "downgrade your drivers" , and im only talking games a year or 2 old. Newer games will then be incompatible instead.

This is unfortunately the way things are being done at AMD/ATI. If they'd pay more attention to their drivers it would be my joy to buy one of their cards again.

Until I hear very good news on exactly this front from 3rd party tech sites I won't buy another AMD/ATI card.

Enough is enough.

And WHO CARES?

Seriously. You didn't provide information, and didn't ask for help. It's just a rant. I wonder why.

Do you really think that other AMD users, like you are responsible for your problems? Are you really that stupid?

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/29/2013 08:30 PM

Author Icon
AtotehZ
Peon

Who said I thought other users were responsible?

I contacted their support staff and they themselves told me the correct way to deal with incompatibilities was to downgrade the driver whenever you wanted to use the specific problem.

A multi-billion dollar company with a mindset like that towards their software is destined to fail at some point.

You're right, it is a rant. I'm sad that things are that bad at AMD/ATI.

Nvidia has never had the same kind of problems with drivers AMD/ATI has. They've always had solid backup solutions when something went wrong. AMD/ATI tells you it is ok it is wrong.

01/30/2013 04:58 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Why support staff would suggest rolling back driver is beyond me. I've got well over 100 games running on Win7 64 bit on both Nvidia and AMD, and while running a PC can be a pain generally, I've never had a major issues directly attritbutable to drivers. A corrupt install once, but that's all. The rest of it has been due to DRM, game bugs, tweaks, software conflicts, and other run of the mill never ending issues that come from using a PC.

In ten years I've never had cause  to roll back any driver install (mostly Nvidia). I don't install more than three to four times a year though.

Nvidia has never had the problems with drivers that AMD has ? ROFL! I've spent a fair bit of time on the Nvidia and MS Win7 forums. People over there blame the drivers for everything under the sun, particularly TDR, which many swear never happens on AMD gpu's. Yeah! Right! TDR may mention the driver crashing, but does not know what led to the crash, and the possibilities are numerous, same with all other crashes.

Over at the Win7 gaming forum it's all about Win7 being incompatible with any game someone has an issue with. Some DRM has an issues with Win7, but not many post 2000 games do.

Forums are all about problems, and full of people threatening to switch to Mac, AMD, Nvidia, Razer, you name it.

End of rant - Now, like the others said, if you have a problem detail it and list your system specifications and the games you have the problems with.

Edited: 01/30/2013 at 05:08 AM by Dinwiddie
 01/30/2013 09:10 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: AtotehZ Who said I thought other users were responsible?

There must be a reson why you came here and started ranting at us. It's a peer-to-peer forum, we are not AMD, if you noticed.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/30/2013 07:37 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

Originally posted by: AtotehZNvidia has never had the same kind of problems with drivers AMD/ATI has.

Blatantly false statement.  I switched back to ATI because of a serious bug that nVidia didn't fix in over two years.  As far as I know, they never fixed it at all.

All you have to do is look at the nVidia forums to see that there's no shortage of driver problems whatsoever.

01/30/2013 07:46 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

The Grass is always Greenier....

And just like everything else in life it usually isn't.  Grass has a tendancy to be the same color everywhere...  or at least the varying shades all have their own pro's and con's.

Give us some details and you never know, we may actually be able to help.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

01/30/2013 08:07 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Except where the grass is dead.  Then it's brown and crunchy. 

But if it's dead here, then it's dead there also.  There's problems there as well.  But nobody would put this much time and energy into dead grass.  Some of it must be alive.  It must be alive and dead.  It must be quantum grass.  But then I suppose it's all quantum grass... 

Yeah I don't know where that came from, but it seemed about as useful as the original rant, so there.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

01/31/2013 12:42 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Originally posted by: Thanny    I switched back to ATI because of a serious bug that nVidia didn't fix in over two years.  As far as I know, they never fixed it at all.  

Which serious unfixed bug ?  I've been using Nvidia since '05 , and it must have missed me. I never had anything serious in relation to a graphics driver, or a game bug where  I could point the driver and definitively say "This driver has been causing this, or that issue with this, or that game" . Maybe something with SLI then ?

Edited: 01/31/2013 at 12:51 AM by Dinwiddie
 01/31/2013 06:50 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

Originally posted by: Dinwiddie
Originally posted by: Thanny    I switched back to ATI because of a serious bug that nVidia didn't fix in over two years.  As far as I know, they never fixed it at all.  

Which serious unfixed bug ?  I've been using Nvidia since '05 , and it must have missed me. I never had anything serious in relation to a graphics driver, or a game bug where  I could point the driver and definitively say "This driver has been causing this, or that issue with this, or that game" . Maybe something with SLI then ?

Scaling in the XP driver.  It worked in the 96.89 beta driver (which was buggy and unstable), but no other drivers thereafter.  It would stretch all lower resolutions to the full screen, instead of maintaining aspect ratio as it was instructed to.  When you have a 2560x1600 display with no built-in scaler and a number of games that either only support lower resolutions, or only support 4:3 resolutions, the results are unpleasant.  I was stuck playing many games in a window.  That's not the kind of situation one likes to be in after spending $580 on a graphics card and $1800 on a 30" monitor.

The closest they ever came to a fix was a kludge program designed to solve an overscan problem that people using HDTV's were having.  It worked until you played a video of any kind.  Then the scaling was broken again until a reboot.

You can still find a number of threads about the issue.  They even reported that specific problem fixed in one particular driver release, even though it was entirely unchanged.

ATI/AMD drivers haven't been perfect, of course, but I spent no less time looking for workarounds to nVidia problems.  More, in fact.  One that comes to mind is The Longest Journey.  With 3D acceleration enabled, the game was badly broken - any container screens didn't display at all.  You also couldn't force anti-aliasing to smooth out the 3D models, on a game that runs at 640x480.  Neither problem existed with the ATI drivers, and the game still works flawlessly with the current drivers (checked it just now).

I remember frequently looking for solutions to problems on the nVidia forums.  Here, I look for problems I might be able to help solve.

01/31/2013 07:36 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Don't forget that although AMD may not be the most timely at getting performance updates out (usually because they aren't given what they need, or the game studio has an agreement with nVidia) they haven't, for example, released an update which caused the card to fan to stop working properly resulting in the card burning out and then the warranty department denying claims.

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 01/31/2013 11:19 PM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

OK -Lots of stuff I never needed I guess.

With XP I never had to worry about scaling as I was on a 21" CRT even at the start of using Win7.

On LCD I've only ever used 1920X1080 and scaling is fine with that. I play my old games in 1280x1024, 1650x1080 or simialr with a nice black bar of appropriate size for the res.

Never used 640x480 either , and maybe Nvidia was behind on that, but FXAA does wonders for GTA4 which has some BAD aliasing even though the game has a setting for it. With AMD it's meh at best. Mirrors Edge too. R6 Vegas bogs down heavly on my GTX560ti with AA over 2, but FXAA is sweet. Clean lines and smooth frame rates.

*While we're here - Two games I can't get to run on AMD. Maybe you have a fix, or suggestion ... They are both Techland, so there may be a connection there - Chrome and Vietcong.

@BZ - Which driver stopped the fan working ? Glad I don't update with each release

Edited: 01/31/2013 at 11:37 PM by Dinwiddie
 02/01/2013 12:42 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: black_zion Don't forget that although AMD may not be the most timely at getting performance updates out (usually because they aren't given what they need, or the game studio has an agreement with nVidia)

So... not being able to promote their products as well as the competition does isn't AMDs problem?  Not that it matters, since the point remains that there's trouble on both sides of the fence when talking about drivers... but yeah I don't understand fanboys... 

That is, unless AMD is one of those companies who thinks the PC is dead and tablets will soon inherit the earth, or something.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 02/01/2013 at 12:49 PM by Mime
Statistics
84147 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.