Topic Title: AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/29/2013 11:48 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/29/2013 11:48 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Yeah boy
Peon

I have a problem with my AMD Radeon HD 6480g of my Windows 7 64bit notebook, Since I installed the newest catalyst driver from september 2012 I got 2 BSOD and then after that I started to get randomly horizontal lines on my screen everytime I used youtube or waking it up after hibernate. So someone told me to Roll back the driver to the previous version from the Device Manager and I did it and it fixed the problem of the horizontal lines on my screen but everytime I tried to open the CCC it says this message "No AMD graphics driver is installed, or the AMD driver is not functioning properly. Please install the AMD driver appropriate for your AMD hardware." and after I click okay I can see the CCC. Then after like 2-3 weeks I started to see the horizontal lines again, and since then those random lines appear on my screen like 2 times per month. Someone told me about using Driver Sweeper will fix those problems but I don't know how to use it. And now I see this new AMD Catalyst Un-install Utility, so I want to know if the uninstall utility will work and if not please tell me how to use Driver Sweeper and what do I have to anylize and clean.

01/29/2013 12:45 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Don't touch the device manager, especially the rollback function. It's bad and shouldn't exist. Go to control panel/programs and features and uninstall the whole catalyst package (all components).

After that, go to the laptop manufacturer's website, and download the drivers made for your laptop. Install them, and you should be good to go. Forget the drivers on the AMD site, they're not recommended for laptops, a lot of times they don't even work for laptops (as you experienced it yourself).

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/29/2013 12:58 PM

Author Icon
Yeah boy
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee Don't touch the device manager, especially the rollback function. It's bad and shouldn't exist. Go to control panel/programs and features and uninstall the whole catalyst package (all components).

After that, go to the laptop manufacturer's website, and download the drivers made for your laptop. Install them, and you should be good to go. Forget the drivers on the AMD site, they're not recommended for laptops, a lot of times they don't even work for laptops (as you experienced it yourself).

When I try to Uninstall the AMD catalyst Install Manager it only let me to Change and Repair but not uninstall. What should I do?

Edit: Oh, nevermind I had to click change then Express Uninstall all AMD software. I hope this works

Edited: 01/29/2013 at 01:08 PM by Yeah boy
 01/29/2013 01:13 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Download and install DRIVER FUSION...click Remove ATI Drivers and wait...INSTALL the appropriate drivers for your lap top.

Non-noob components.

01/29/2013 01:18 PM

Author Icon
Yeah boy
Peon

Woah if I unisntall the catalyst control manager it will delete all my AMD drivers. I'm a little scared to do this. :/

Edited: 01/29/2013 at 01:26 PM by Yeah boy
 01/29/2013 03:44 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Do you have an AMD chipset? If not, then go ahead. If yes, go back to selective uninstall and remove the CCC and the display driver only.

Just a side note, that express uninstall can only break your system if you have an AMD RAID array in your computer. That's hard to imagine with a laptop, so don't worry.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/29/2013 04:18 PM

Author Icon
Yeah boy
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee Do you have an AMD chipset? If not, then go ahead. If yes, go back to selective uninstall and remove the CCC and the display driver only.

Just a side note, that express uninstall can only break your system if you have an AMD RAID array in your computer. That's hard to imagine with a laptop, so don't worry.

Well if it says there that it will delete it, that means I have it? I don't see it on the device manager. And I don't know what AMD RAID array means.

I guess i just reinstall windows 7 then using hp recovery manager, i think its better to start from fresh

Edited: 01/29/2013 at 06:27 PM by Yeah boy
Statistics
85442 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.