Topic Title: Catalyst 12.6 for Legacy HD 3000 etc. cards does nothing
Topic Summary: Radeon HD 3450 treated as "Basic Display Adapter" by Win8. Catalyst does nothing
Created On: 02/01/2013 03:45 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/01/2013 03:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Leo854
Peon

My Radeon HD3450 512 which worked fine in Win7 is now treated as a "Basic Display Adapter" by Win 8. DXDiag sees it as an AMD product but only recognizes 256 memory.

I have installed and uninstalled Catalyst 12.6. At first it would open (after apparently installing correctly) but would only display  some basic info about the CPU and memory. The last install gets me "AMD VCC cannot be started because there are no settings that can be configured using AMD VCC"

This is a K8M800 Biostar board with an Athlon 64X2 2.3 G processor and 2 G RAM running Windows 8 32 bit, installed early January. I have pulled the card and reseated and reconnected it. It works with the Windows basic driver, but not satisfactoryily.

02/01/2013 04:41 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Not to be rude or anything, but have you ever considered just updating your hardware along with your OS?  I know it costs more but do you really think it is a good business practice to make the developers write code for such an old line of computer components?  I mean that card came out about the same time as XP did.

Another alternative, since Win7 performed just fine for you.....put that OS back on there for now until you can get a newer computer.

...again, not trying to be rude or anything just trying to give you a different perspective on this.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

02/02/2013 07:39 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

One more (and cheaper) alternative to try: http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/legacy/Pages/legacy-radeonaiw-vista32.aspx

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/02/2013 09:54 AM

Author Icon
Hardwood
Dungeon Master

Did you run the installer in win7 or Vista compatibility mode?

#1: FX-6350, Antec Kuhler 920, MSI 970 Gaming, Asus 5870/V2, ASUS Xonar D2X, GSkill (F3-14900cl9d-8gbxl), Antec Truepower New 750, Arc Midi, Win8.1pro x64
#2: MSI A88X-G45, AMD A10-7850K, IGP, AMD 2x4GB 2133 (R938G2130UK), Antec 750 True, 128GB Sandisk SSD, WD Black 1TB, Win8.1pro x64
#3: Athlon 64 X2 4200+, AGP 1950pro, Audigy 2, Asus A8V-D, 2gig ram, Enermax 465P, Antec900case. Now on Win8.1pro cat 10.2

02/04/2013 10:56 PM

Author Icon
Leo854
Peon

OK, you have a valid point. AMD/ATI have every right to withdraw support from old hardware. Just as MS has every right to withdraw support from old OSs.

HOWEVER,  if the MS upgrade advisor tells me that my hardware will run , if I install ATI's new catalyst software, and ATI's support site tells me that my hardware will  run in Win8 with their Win8 Catalyst software, why should I not believe them?

I know that ATI swore on a stack that they would not issue drivers for HD3000 series beyond Win7. But they did. 12.6 was supposed to work in Win 8. I did not see any caveats about outdated MOBO's.

To summarize, if you don't wish to provide support/drivers for an old card, say so, and stick to it. If you DO provide drivers, then make sure they work. Basic contract law.

For myself, I took your not so polite hint and looked about for alternatives. I discovered a MOBO/CPU/Memory combo which satisfies my limited needs (no, I'm not a gamer, so maybe I shouldn't be on this forum in the first place). This ridiculosly cheap bundle eliminates the need for an add on video card. Microsoft, to their credit, will allow me to use my bargain 32 bit license with the 64 bit version of Win 8. We shall see how that works.

For me, all's well that ends well.

At the risk of repeating myelf, if you don't wish to support old hardware, say so in full caps. If you care to continue support, then make sure the drivers work!

02/05/2013 02:26 PM

Author Icon
Sumicchi
Peon

The sticky post at the top of this forum says itself that the legacy driver you're using only gives very basic support for your hardware in Windows 8.

I do also completely agree with Canis-X. Windows 7 worked fine for you as you said yourself. There is technically no feasible reason you should upgrade from an OS that works just fine, especially considering the extremely limiting nature of microsoft's newest creation, and of course the fact that your dated hardware isn't even supposed to have support in it. I'm not sure where you read that the drivers would work in Windows 8, but the only thing I can assume is that it was unofficial information or that you misread something.

If it's any help or motivation to do something the easier way, just yesterday I was trying to upgrade from Windows 7 to Windows Server 2012 Datacenter but I had issues with the Vision Engine control center so I recorded all observed symptoms, submitted a full detail bug report, and went back to the Windows 7 OS that worked, and still works, perfectly fine for me. And with that, my problem was solved.

By the way, I have an AMD Radeon HD 7970 and still had that problem. That being said, it seems that regardless of hardware, there are still issues to be ironed out with Windows 8 which is understandable considering how new it is, and is of course another reason why it's generally wise to stick with what works.

Edited: 02/05/2013 at 03:15 PM by Sumicchi
Statistics
87646 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.