Topic Title: Catalyst 13 HDMI
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/07/2013 10:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/07/2013 10:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ruber
Nerfed

My ATI 5870 card is connected to a flat panel via HDMI.

Catalyst v 13.1 WHQL, w/ AMD HDMI audio driver installed

Realtek HD Audio driver R2.70

+ Realtek ATI HDMI Audio Device  R2.70

-----------------------------------------

With Catalyst 13.1 WHQL the only way to switch back to HDMI audio output is Control Panel>Sound>Choose 1 ATI HDMI Output>Set Default. However, you can't do it from Realtek HD Audio manager anymore, but it was possible with Catalyst 12. It would be good to see this issue fixed because the ability to switch to hdmi audio from Realtek manager was very handy and useful when tweaking a whole bunch of settings. Hope AMD will look into it.

02/07/2013 10:49 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Seems like you have a motherboard with onboard audio from Realtek.  The audio chip on the video card is supplied by Realtek too.  You can use a driver provided by Realtek for the audio chip on the video card.  Perhaps (when Realtek's Sound Manager had the option you were looking for) you had their driver installed.

The Sound Manager for Realtek's audio chip is just that - a sound manager for that audio chip.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

02/07/2013 02:10 PM

Author Icon
ruber
Nerfed

Originally posted by: Marc@AMD Seems like you have a motherboard with onboard audio from Realtek.  The audio chip on the video card is supplied by Realtek too.

@Marc@AMD, thank you very much for replying. Yes, that's what I have - an ASUS motherboard with onboard audio from Realtek. My point is that a tab named as ATI HDMI output used to show on the Realtek HD Audio manager with all Catalysts prior to 13.1. That tab would always be there even after I upgraded/reinstalled my Catalyst versions. Now, when I have installed 13.1, the ATI HDMI tab is unfortunately gone. And I would love to see it back. Reinstalling Realtek drivers does not fix it.

Originally posted by: Marc@AMDThe Sound Manager for Realtek's audio chip is just that - a sound manager for that audio chip. ;Marc

Well let me show you, there's 2 Realtek drivers, one for speakers and another one specifically for the HDMI aUdio in case you have an ATI/AMD card:

Realtek HDMI Audio Driver

I have full set of the drivers needed for HDMI sound, my drivers as follows:

- (1) AMD Catalyst with its HDMI audio driver;
- (2) Realtek HD Audio;
- (3) another one Realtek driver called ATI HDMI Audio driver.

So, the above three drivers are required for the HDMI audio output in case with AMD/ATI card and Realtek onboard sound. And I have them all latest versions. My HDMI works but still I need the missing tab for ATI HDMI Digital output.

02/07/2013 02:35 PM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: ruber I have full set of the drivers needed for HDMI sound, my drivers as follows: - (1) AMD Catalyst with its HDMI audio driver; - (2) Realtek HD Audio; - (3) another one Realtek driver called ATI HDMI Audio driver.

So, the above three drivers are required for the HDMI audio output in case with AMD/ATI card and Realtek onboard sound. And I have them all latest versions. My HDMI works but still I need the missing tab for ATI HDMI Digital output.

You do not need #3.  #3 in the list above replaces #1.  Not all three are required.  You need #2 for the onboard audio, and either #1 or #3 for the audio chip on the video card to function.

AMD has no control over Realtek's Sound Manager Software.  I would try to contact Realtek for any advice they could possibly offer.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

02/07/2013 04:23 PM

Author Icon
ruber
Nerfed

Originally posted by: Marc@AMDYou do not need #3.  #3 in the list above replaces #1.  Not all three are required.  You need #2 for the onboard audio, and either #1 or #3 for the audio chip on the video card to function. AMD has no control over Realtek's Sound Manager Software.  I would try to contact Realtek for any advice they could possibly offer. ;Marc

I would like to clarify, did things change with Catalyst 13?

Important for me to know because in the past however hard I tried to get hdmi sound without that 3rd driver I couldn't, even given installed AMD Catalyst with its HDMI audio driver my hdmi speakers wouldn't play without that 3rd driver from Realtek.

Thanks again.

02/11/2013 11:53 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

To confirm: it is not something new to Catalyst 13.1

It has never been required to install the ATI HDMI Audio Device driver listed on Realtek's website. If it were required, AMD would have made specific mention on our website.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

Statistics
87625 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.