Locked Topic Locked
Topic Title: Really? Your first... Changed to->HDMI audio stutter LCD overdrive BUG(Work-around included, beneath the muck)
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/16/2013 01:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/16/2013 01:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Bullpuppy
Peon

For the past 15-20 years I've sworn up and down that AMD processors and Nvidia graphics cards were the better way to go. ATI simply had too many driver issues and it never seemed to end. But last summer I built myself a new PC, and due to the timing of it all I allowed a friend to talk me into buying the Radeon HD7950 instead of the latest Nvidia card. "Oh they don't have issues like that anymore. These are solid cards man!".

Right... So on your very first attempt to impress me in years I spend $500+ for a video card that requires a 7-8 step process just to turn on the HDMI audio signal(Yes I am referring to the bug where you have to enable/disable LCD overdrive). These are 7-8 additional steps that must be taken after each and ever power up. Seriously?

What troubles me even more is that AMD is now in danger of becoming guilty by association. So I am going to give this 2-3 weeks. If a simple bug like this isn't resolved in a timely manner I will most certainly remain an avid Nvidia fan, and I will not hesitate to do my part and sharing my story in an effort warn people away from AMD/ATI. At least when it comes to graphics cards. I work in IT so that's a decent stack of them.

I'm not trying to make threats or be a jerk here, I am merely giving you one last opportunity to impress me. This is a pretty solid video card despite the current problem.

The ball is now in your court.

Edited: 02/21/2013 at 02:22 AM by Bullpuppy
 02/16/2013 07:27 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

So you want the community to impress you? Your impressions mean a great deal to us. Seriously.

Coming here and ranting instead of properly giving information and politely asking for help sounds like you're 3 or something like that. Why not just buy a box of LEGO and call it a day?

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/17/2013 12:38 AM

Author Icon
Bullpuppy
Peon

"For the past 15-20 years..." makes it rather difficult, as well as mathematically impossible, for me to be, merely three.

My words were actually directed toward ATI, or at least that's what I thought at the time I was writing them. ATI, AMD... Last I heard they were one and the same.

It would also appear that, in my frustration with this video card, I some how stumbled my way into the game forums conversing with someone who has enough time on his hands to post 2381 times, in just 5 years. Two thousand, three hundred, and eighty one times. My God man! You must know these forums inside out by now! Either that or, you are the forums? Technology these days... Not vary(<-- Misspelled, just for you. Yeah, I know your type. Always hungry. Always looking for something juicy to sink your teeth into.) bright though.

Had you actually read my post, you would have been able to conclude that there wasn't any need for me to provide 'information', nor 'politely ask for help'. I clearly spelled out that I already knew what the problem was, and I indicated my own awareness of the 7-8 steps required to work around it.

It was a nice try though, your sublte attempt at creating a witty response, but I get the impression you've spent the last 5 years reading the wrong material my friend. I would suggest a good book. Perhaps Harry Potter. Or maybe get out more? I don't know... But you should know, and I would not lie to you, the world is not flat, and there is more to life than the AMD forums. You might actually find some of it enjoyable

I wish you well on your journey my friend!

02/17/2013 06:02 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Bullpuppy My words were actually directed toward ATI, or at least that's what I thought at the time I was writing them. ATI, AMD... Last I heard they were one and the same.

There's the problem, you see. When you can't distinguish a company from its users. Careful, next time you may believe that you are AMD and will start talking to yourself.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/17/2013 08:45 AM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Crikey Eydee - 2383 posts. That's about 1.3 post per day. You need to get a life my friend .... .

02/17/2013 09:03 AM

Author Icon
zipsi
Elite

Those Nvidia drivers that FRIED YOUR GPU were cool, as far as I know AMD has never produced something like that. Driver programming won't be replaced with artificial intelligence for a while that produce PERFECT drivers, so current ones have to do for now. And Bullpuppy, you seem like one of those people who already start suing the car manufacturer before they fail to notice they have left the handbreak on. MOST issues are user error. My hdmi audio works just fine.

Intel I7 3770K @ 4.5ghz, Cooler Master Hyper 212 Evo, Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H, Gigabyte HD7970 ghz edition, 4x4gb Kingston HyperX Beast 2133mhz, Seasonic Platinum 860, Samsung 840 Pro 256gb, OCZ Vertex 4 128gb, WD Black 1TB, WD Green 3TB+1.5TB, ASUS Xonar Essence ST, ASUS VE278Q, Windows 3.11
 02/17/2013 10:20 AM

Author Icon
Earnhardt
Case Modder

lets see..Been using AMD/ATI Gpu's for 12+ years without any issues whatsoever,so I put together my backup rig,buy an EVGA 560ti 448(good deal I thought on sale)I believe it lasted 2 hours and was toast,took it back,traded it for a 7850,no issues.You can have your Nvidia.

AMD Phenom II 1100t @4.0Ghz /Asus sabertooth 990fx/2x Gigabyte 3G 7950's in crossfire/500G samsung 840 ssd/16G G-Skill Ripjaw 1600/2-samsung 24" monitors 1920X1200/Corsair AX1200W psu/W7 pro 64,G19 keyboard,Roccat kone pure mouse,Cooler master HAF932,Corsair H100i water cooler,Zalman ram cooler.Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series,Logitech Z5500 speakers,Roccat Kave 5.1 headset.

02/17/2013 10:56 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

I've been using AMD ever since the Radeon 9600XT, and the only problems I've had with them were that the fan died on my first 9600XT, which was from a manufacturer which AMD doesn't use anymore, and the entire 11.x series of drivers caused more problems for me than they fixed. Yes nVidia cards may outshine AMD in some tests (AMD has fallen behind on power efficiency again, for example), and AMD has yet to find a way to update drivers without downloading the entire 140mb or so package, but AMD has never released a driver set which killed cards then denied warranty coverage, or used the same GPU for 5 years (remember the 9800 alphabet soup?).

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 02/17/2013 11:24 AM

Author Icon
Hammey
Grinding Levels

Hi Eydee congrats on your post count and ty for all the help you have given.

MSI Mpower Max, I7-4770K, MSI GTX 780 Lightning, G.SKILL Trident X Series 16GB DDR3-2400, 2X Kingston HyperX 3K 480GB , 1Tb Raptor, Creative ZXR Sound, 1000 watt Coolermaster Single 80 amp Rail, G700s Mouse, Z5500 Speakers
 02/17/2013 10:16 PM

Author Icon
Dinwiddie
Grinding Levels

Which Nvidia driver fried gpu's ? I've never used all driver versions, so I must have missed it, or was it only with a particular model card ?

I started with ATI, but switched to Nvidia when my 1950XT cooked itself in '05. That was not the main reason for switching (but enough reason to keep me away from HIS because they knocked me back on warranty as I was five days over. Not good way to attract customer loyalty, and here I am again saying - don't buy HIS, as I do at every opportunity - lol ), just that Nvidia seemed to have a better value for dollar at the time. I would have come back to ATI with a 5850 vs GTX260, but there was a big gpu shortage for both brands around Dec '09. The GTX260 was replaced by  a GTX560ti, which is a great card. Right up there with the 8800GT.

I'm pretty muich ambivalent about the brands, and have not had major issues that I could attritubute to drivers. I have not missed PhysX yet, but....

Edited: 02/17/2013 at 10:23 PM by Dinwiddie
 02/19/2013 11:23 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

To try and steer this thread back on course...

..if you would like help from the community, and myself I encourage you to provide some detail about your system.  As others have stated, HDMI works well without the need for 7-8 steps. 

Perhaps review the sticky and provide the information asked.  If you could let us know your particular setup, that would be great.  For example, how things are connected. Brand/Model of display, etc..

You are also welcome to contact AMD's Customer Care directly:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=161716&enterthread=y

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

02/21/2013 02:18 AM

Author Icon
Bullpuppy
Peon

Eydee, I give up. I’m throwing in the towel. You win. The voices in my head are telling me you need the victory.

Zipsi, please do not ever get a job doing anything that involves troubleshooting. And stay away from the medical profession as well, since diagnosing a patient is essentially the same thing as troubleshooting them. In fact you might want to steer clear of anything that involves thought. Anyone who so easily dismisses the possibility that ‘many’ other people might actually be having an issue, simply because “Mine works just fine!” is doomed for failure in this area of life. Stick to just breathing, slowly, and with a quiet mind. Slow, deep, and complete breaths. Let stillness and silence encompass your very being. With enough practice, an inspired thought might actually surface. I believe in you! You can do it! Now go. And remember, shhhhhhhhh… We all love you and await your return.

Marc,

I thank you for your polite response, as well as your efforts to keep this thread on track. I will also excuse the fact that I have to clarify, for a third time, that I wasn’t seeking any assistance or information, but only because things have become some-what, uh, foggy, in this thread.

Since there appears to be so much confusion on this topic, let me put it to rest(in case someone else is having the problem and is looking for useful information).

You can see from the following links(There are plenty more out there) that a large number of people are actually experiencing this issue:

http://www.overclock.net/t/1295464/intermittent-hdmi-audio-output-on-7970-12-8-drivers
http://devgurus.amd.com/thread/159106
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/376399-33-7970-audio

With the fix being (For Windows 7 anyway):

1. Right-click your desktop.
  2. Select ‘Screen Resolution’
  3. Click ‘Advanced Settings’
  4. Select the ‘Catalyst Control Center’ tab
  5. Click the ‘Catalyst Control Center’ button.
  6. Click the ‘My Digital Flat Panels’ dropdown on the left.
  7. Click ‘LCD Overdrive (Digital Flat-Panel)’
  8. Check/Uncheck ‘Enable LCD Overdrive’,
  9. then check/uncheck it again.
  10. Click the ‘x’ in the upper right-hand corner to close the Catalyst Control Center window.
  11. Click the ‘x’ in the upper right-hand corner to close the video card properties dialog.
  12. Click the ‘x’ in the upper right-hand corner to close the Screen Resolution window.
  13. Bask in the glory of your triumph, and immerse yourself in quality audio unhindered.That is...
  14. Until you reboot your PC(Repeat steps 1 – 13).
 02/21/2013 05:21 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Do you have an SSD?  And if so what is your Windows Write-Cache Policy settings?

Just curious since I had a similar issue that no one figured out, but I am pretty sure I know the answer to now...

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

02/21/2013 09:36 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Originally posted by: Bullpuppy I will also excuse the fact that I have to clarify, for a third time, that I wasn’t seeking any assistance or information.

Thank you for taking the time to respond.  I understand now, and it is unfortunate that this thread turned sour so quickly.  However, I can see how it did turn, because some could perceive your original post as trolling and trying to insite a flame-war.  Lo-and-behold, it did indeed turn into that. 

The Forum's Terms & Conditions are quite clear.  The forum exists as a mechasim of supporting AMD products, and there is a good community-base to help with that.  You have made it clear (thank you) that you are not interested in troubleshooting, but rather posted to vent your frustration and disappointment, and offer an ultimatum of 2-3 weeks before you remain an nVidia customer.  I am certainly empathetic to your frustrations, and do want to hear this feedback.  However, it is a dangerous line to walk on the forums, because of what is likely (read above) to happen.

At the end of it all, I think we are all clear on the point of you not being interested in receiving troubleshooting suggestions.  I will lock this thread at this point, and encourage you to create a new thread if you change your mind.

I will leave you with one final thought.  You are very welcome to use our Driver Issue Report Form to report the issue you are experiencing.  That form is found, here.

;Marc

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

Edited: 02/21/2013 at 09:48 AM by Marc@AMD
Statistics
84683 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.