Topic Title: Catalyst Graphics Overdrive has no effect
Topic Summary:
Created On: 02/25/2013 03:42 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/25/2013 03:42 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
DaveL
Peon

I have a 6570 card.  Installed Catalyst Control Center with no problems on Windows 7.  Tried both 13.1 and 11.4 Catalyst versions.

Everything seems to be working fine except that changes made to GPU clock settings and Memory clock settings have no effect.  "Current Values" under load increase only to the stock settings of the card no matter what High Performance settings I have chosen.  Tried setting (and, of course, Applying) higher than stock and lower than stock settings but the card only increases to stock settings.

Anyone have any ideas?

02/25/2013 04:22 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

This is the typacal case when the problem is between the keyboard and the chair...

Please get some information about how these cards work before posting, well... not so clever things.

Sorry if it sounded rude.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/25/2013 10:17 AM

Author Icon
mmboss5
Peon

I am not sure what is happening here, but have you tried to use MSI afterburner?  You can set your clock settings there and see if the computer will use them when stressed.  I use MSI more often than CCC because you can set up profiles and I find it has more info and is a easy to use imo.

http://event.msi.com/vga/afterburner/

-------------------------
CPU: i5 Sandybridge quad core @ 4.0GHz
Mobo: EVGA P67 FTW
GPU: Sapphire Radeon HD 5970 @850/1200MHz
Mem: 2GB x4 GSkill Ripjaw DDR3 1600
PSU: Corsair 750W
 02/27/2013 12:28 AM

Author Icon
DaveL
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee

Please get some information about how these cards work before posting

Uhhhh ... that's what I'm doing here:  getting some information about how the cards work.

02/27/2013 01:33 AM

Author Icon
DaveL
Peon

Originally posted by: mmboss5

have you tried to use MSI afterburner?

Thanks for the reply.  I was just about to try Afterburner when I found the answer to my problem.  I'll share here in case anyone else has the problem in the future.

I came to find out that the Graphics Overdrive in the Catalyst Control Center 13.1 WAS working properly.  I just wasn't stressing the GPU hard enough when I tested it.  I had given it a light stress, which I thought put it in "high-performance mode" based upon the seeing the GPU clock and memory clock both going up to the maximum stock values of the card.  When I was able to stress the GPU to a much higher level, the card DID go up to what I had set it at in the Control Center's settings.

I found the above out by downloading GPU-Z and using that utility's included Render Test, which put the GPU under [according the Control Center's Activity gauge] a 99% load, at which time my overclock settings went up to the levels I had set.

Anyone know offhand what percentage of GPU load activates the card to go into highest overdrive mode?

Statistics
85791 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.