Topic Title: I am at my wits end with AMD and Realtek HDMI audio drivers!
Topic Summary: I just want 5.1 HDMI audio. I know it is possible, it has worked for me before.
Created On: 03/08/2013 10:38 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 3 Previous Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/20/2013 10:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Farhad@AMD
Nerfed

Your version of integrated Radeon HD 3300 graphics supports STEREO only. You should use a PCI Express Radeon HD 5000 series or above to get 7.1 Audio.

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied

08/20/2013 11:11 AM

Author Icon
Rpgparnell1
Peon

Great!

My main computer has an HD 6870 and I have an older HD 5770. I'll try one of those...

RpgParnell

08/20/2013 02:15 PM

Author Icon
Rpgparnell1
Peon

Ok, I have not had much luck upgrading the driver to HD 5xxx Win 7 64bit driver.

I tried the CD which came with the HD6770 and the catalyst installer reports that the HD Audio driver is up to date bypassing any install option. So I downloaded the corresponding listed non-beta driver (Revision13.4) from the AMD website. It installed but resulted in a BSOD requiring a system restore to allow for boot-up. I tried again unchecking all but the HD Audio driver & requisite CCC files and looked at the BSOD screen. It clearly blamed AtihdW76.sys as the culprit. Windows Repair failed, and again I had to do another restore. This is listed as one of the AMD HD audio driver files.

Is there another driver I should try?

08/21/2013 07:50 PM

Author Icon
Rpgparnell1
Peon

Seems that everyone is as bored as me with this topic. I have tried several more drivers and any which worked has only supported 2 channels. So I just ordered a fanless Radeon HD 6450. Hopefully this will permit installation of AMD drivers that Farhad suggested and solve the issue. I really hope so as I have no desire to buy something like a Trinity and new FM2 MB.

Thanks for the help.

09/09/2013 12:09 AM

Author Icon
xantius
Peon

I'm having a similar issue, where i only get the "Stereo" option via AMD HDMI.  I have my LG tv plugged into my HD 7790, and my surround sound system plugged into my tv via Optical out. 

From reading this topic I understand that this is most likely due to my TVs EDID.  I need to force it to 5.1 from the current stereo mode (kind of like you do from the Sony Playstation).

09/09/2013 04:53 AM

Author Icon
Rpgparnell1
Peon

I truly am a peon in this arena, and perhaps that's why a couple of things confuse me about your connection. I suspect that if yor system is new enough to get snared in the EDID problem, it can do HDMI switching, in which case the typical hookup is HDMI from PC to AVR to TV. Hopefully someone wiser than me can provide clarity.

Your HD 7790 (unless saddled with ancient drivers) should have no problem with 5.1 or 7.1 support over the AMD HDMI HD Audio device. If that is what you want, connecting the PC to the AVR should allow the EDID to report the 5.1 speaker configuration to the AMD driver.

By running the PC's HDMI directly to the TV the PC's audio device probably does see only 2 TV speakers. If you could "force" 5.1 decoding to occur in the PC, the 5.1 PCM signal would need >=6 channels to get to the receiver. I doubt those 6 channels can be mapped from HDMIin to OpticalOut of the TV. Could one passthrough bitstream audio to the Tv and then over Toslink to the AVR, I'm not sure, but any decoded digital audio requires more than 2 channels.

If for some reason you need to stick with this wiring, TV audio via optical to the AVR should be OK and provide you with anything short of TrueHD or DTS-HD, i.e. anything you are likely to encounter in TV content. If for some reason you are using the TV for HDMI switching and connect a Blu-ray Player, I think you will lose the high res audio over the optical.
As for content originating in the PC, Toslink to the AVR would still be OK. But you would be looking at the S/PDIF Audio driver for HD support, and not the AMD device.

Hope I didn't even muddy the waters further.

09/09/2013 07:06 PM

Author Icon
xantius
Peon

I will presume that by AVR you are refering to the Surround Sound System.  If that is the case, it does not have an HDMI connection, which is why I have the setup that I do (PC >> HDMI to TV > >> Optical to Surround Sound System.  

While my PC does have optical out as well, I can't use it due to proximity issue.  

My videocard drivers are the most current.  I also tried the beta drivers with the same resulte (only option is stereo).

09/11/2013 01:25 AM

Author Icon
Rpgparnell1
Peon

Yes - A V-Receiver. It seems you have some serious constraints. By proximity, I take it that the PC must be distant from the rest... I have read that optical greater than 12 feet in length is not advisable. Still such cables are sold in up to 50 ft lengths. Then of course there is analog.

Sorry I don't have better answers.

09/11/2013 04:07 PM

Author Icon
neo5555
Case Modder

Originally posted by: xantius    

While my PC does have optical out as well, I can't use it due to proximity issue.  

Would be nice if you could elaborate on this...

Pics of my rig
i7 4770k, custom water cooling, 8Gig Corsair Dom 2133 9-11-10-27, ASrock Z87 OC Formula, SilverStone ST-1500 PSU, Creative X-Fi Platinum, Logitech Z-5500D , 2xHIS 7970 CF, Asus VW246H Monitor, Win 7 64Bit HP, Corsair 800D Case

09/12/2013 01:30 AM

Author Icon
xantius
Peon

PC is closest to the TV, and too far from the Surround Sound system.  Even if I could run a long optical cable, I don't want to run an extra cable that I have to switch between the PC and the TV.

Analog doesn't work either, as my receiver only has one optical in.

It would be great for me if I could somehow just force HDMI 5.1 out...  From what I've read online in searching for an answer, I'm not alone.

I appreciate the help and suggestions.

09/25/2013 08:24 PM

Author Icon
Zuluknob
Peon

Have the same problem with my samsung f8000. My pc is connected to the tv via hdmi and the avr is connected to the tv via optical(it doesn't have hdmi input).

My tv supports dolby digital and dts passthrough(works fine with ps3) but the amd hdmi only lets me have 2 channel stereo. need to force 5.1 dts somehow

09/25/2013 10:26 PM

Author Icon
Zuluknob
Peon

Given the sheer ammount of people that have problems with the hdmi audio out from amd and nvidia cards they should allow the end user to select and test each type of output to see if it works like windows does when you use motherboard optical out.

Relying on edid is causing loads of people problems and they have to resort to hacked edid monitor.inf files to get it working. I tried that and it won't work in my case though as i am not sending the audio to the avr via hdmi, i am sending it to the tv to be passed through as optical dts.

Really hope they sort this out before the new cards come out or whats the point of having the new sound chip if it will only output 2 channel...

09/27/2013 08:21 AM

Author Icon
Zuluknob
Peon

Finally got a EDID hacked monitor.inf working so i have 5.1 now. got it via http://www.avsforum.com/t/1091403/edid-override-thread

09/29/2013 09:53 PM

Author Icon
Tanquen
Peon

Originally posted by: Farhad@AMD Can you provide the section "Display Devices" and "Sound Devices" from DirectX report, while your HTPC is connected to Onkyo receiver via HDMI?

DirectX Report - Click on Start => Run => Type in "dxdiag" - For 32bit OS => Click on "Save All Information" - For 64bit OS => Click on "DirectX64bit" => "Save All Information" - Save the file as a .txt file

My Onkyo 5010 has the same kind of issue with my 7970 and the 13.10 AMD driver. The connection will go in and out if there is no audio playing causing the receivers display to flash showing a connection then not and there is a popping sound. If something is playing then all is well. I can even play a song and set the volume to 0 and the connection stays and there is no popping.

Asus P9X79 Deluxe, 3930k, 64GB RAM
Two MSI HD7970 Video Cards
Samsung 930GB 840 Evo SSD
Seagate 4TB Barracuda XT
SeaSonic Platinum-1000W
LG Blu-ray GGC-H20L
2 Dell 30" U3011 on Ergotron HD Dual-Monitor Arm

Some pics: http://www.hardforum.com/showpost.php?p=1030571591&postcount=67

Edited: 09/29/2013 at 10:20 PM by Tanquen
 10/07/2013 02:14 PM

Author Icon
Stormi
Peon

Hi!

I have the same problem. I connected the PC to an AVR to a TV.  I have sound on the AVR but it is just stereo.
Windows 7 Pro x64, HD 7870, Catalyst 13.9, Onkyo TX SR308 AVR, Panasonic TX-P42g20 TV.

I set my AVR

HDMI Setup

1. Audio TV Out off

2. LipSync Enable

3. HDMI Control On

4. Audio return chanel Auto

5. Power control On

6. TV control off

But it do not work. Just two chanel. If the AVR get DTS or other audio format, it will display on its own screen. What should i do for work? Why can not it be easy

It worked in my prevous system but it crashed.
Please help me!

Thank you;

Stormi 

Edited: 10/07/2013 at 02:30 PM by Stormi
 10/07/2013 06:15 PM

Author Icon
Tanquen
Peon

The HDMI drivers have been hit and miss for some time now. You want to make sure the Audio TV out is off. Even with it off I also have a problem where the HDMI connection will get stuck in stereo mode as I also have a TV on the second sub HDMI output and if that TV is on the HDMI output is stuck in stereo. So for me I have to have the second TV off and removed/disabled in CCC, the TV audio function in the receiver off and even then I sometimes have to turn the main TV and receiver off then back on and or reboot the PC.>>

I still have an issue with HDMI audio going in and out repeatedly if there is nothing playing. The temporary fix for this turns out to be the same one for when a few AMD drivers back the audio would cut in and out while something was playing. You need to toggle the LCD overdrive setting in the CCC under the Digital Flat Panel settings. You can't just leave it on you must toggle it each time you make the connection to the receiver. Once you do the HDMI stays connected for that session only.>>

I really wish they would fix that. With my old receiver you could hear the relays clicking back and forth as the HDMI connection went in and out. Now with the Onkyo 5010 there is a popping sound when it goes in and out so I here that until I get a movie or music going. >>

Seagate 4TB Barracuda XT
SeaSonic Platinum-1000W
LG Blu-ray GGC-H20L

10/08/2013 11:44 AM

Author Icon
Stormi
Peon

Originally posted by: Tanquen

The HDMI drivers have been hit and miss for some time now. You want to make sure the Audio TV out is off. Even with it off I also have a problem where the HDMI connection will get stuck in stereo mode as I also have a TV on the second sub HDMI output and if that TV is on the HDMI output is stuck in stereo. So for me I have to have the second TV off and removed/disabled in CCC, the TV audio function in the receiver off and even then I sometimes have to turn the main TV and receiver off then back on and or reboot the PC.

I still have an issue with HDMI audio going in and out repeatedly if there is nothing playing. The temporary fix for this turns out to be the same one for when a few AMD drivers back the audio would cut in and out while something was playing. You need to toggle the LCD overdrive setting in the CCC under the Digital Flat Panel settings. You can't just leave it on you must toggle it each time you make the connection to the receiver. Once you do the HDMI stays connected for that session only.

I really wish they would fix that. With my old receiver you could hear the relays clicking back and forth as the HDMI connection went in and out. Now with the Onkyo 5010 there is a popping sound when it goes in and out so I here that until I get a movie or music going.

I tried everything you sad but it hasn't worked yet... 

I pluged off my tv, i set on and off again the audio out on my AVR. I toggled the override. Restart, disable/enable everything. But i have just stereo sound. I don't know how could i do in my prevous win 7?? :S I think i will install back my win 7 ultimate. I hope it will work :S. I am so frustrated

10/08/2013 02:48 PM

Author Icon
Tanquen
Peon

Are you checking your playback devices in Windows each time you make a change? With my receiver off I only have my PC speakers listed then when I turn on the receiver and it has been add in the AMD CCC as a display I can see it in the playback devices as "1 – TX-NR5010" and if I right click and configure speakers I see a list of 4 audio channels configurations, the first one being Stereo. If I use the TV Audio setting on the receiver or turn on the TVs it will then only show Stereo. Sometime I have to mess with it a bit to get it out of Stereo but I always can.

Try turning everything off and start with the PC only and check your playback devices. What do you see?

Then turn on the receiver (don’t turn on anything else) and look at the playback devices. What do you see? If it is not there look at the AMD CCC and see if there is a display device enabled for the receiver.

Once the receiver has been enabled in the AMD CCC you should see it in your playback devices. Look at it and see if there are more options than just Stereo.

Seagate 4TB Barracuda XT
SeaSonic Platinum-1000W
LG Blu-ray GGC-H20L

10/10/2013 06:39 AM

Author Icon
Stormi
Peon

I solved the problem. Thank you for your helping. It wasn't the driver or TV audio out. It is working now with/without the TV audio out. The problem was my audio codec pack(k-lite). It setted the audio options to stereo mode. Yesterday i reinstaled it and now is working normaly!
Sorry for your time. It was mine fault.
Thank you for your attention!

12/19/2013 02:06 PM

Author Icon
imail724
Peon

I am experiencing the same issue where my computer is only giving me the option to play audio in stereo. I have a panasonic sa-ht05, but I can't find any settings that I can change to try to fix the issue as explained above. Any suggestions?

Statistics
85329 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.