Topic Title: Catalyst Install Issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 03/26/2013 05:25 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 03/26/2013 05:25 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Alarura
Peon

Greetings,

I am unable to install Catalyst due to it being upset by my choice of Drive names (trying to install it on the B: Drive which is currently my main drive) it constantly gives me an "Invalid Folder" error.

Changing drive names is undesierable at this time, but is there any other method for fixing this issue? It's quite odd - this is the only program i've had this issue with.

Thanks for your time

~ Alarura

P.s / Edit: I'm running windows 8, and if it's helpful I'm using the HD 5750 modle. 

03/26/2013 05:47 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Microsoft made a rule many years ago that drive B: is a floppy disk drive period. Later they decided to ignore this rule and allow you to use it for a HDD. Question is? Who is at fault?

1. Microsoft for doing the above written thing.

2. You for using a floppy drive letter for a HDD.

3. AMD for not letting you install CCC somewhere which is commonly a removable drive.

I think all. Unless you have more partitions than letters available in the alphabet, don't use the traditional floppy drive letter for HDDs. If you do have more, consider mounting instead of using drive letters.

Mounting can work now. Mount your B: drive or one of its subfolders to a subdirectory of C: and leave it permanent. Install to this mounted location. You can keep the drive letter as well.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

03/26/2013 06:02 PM

Author Icon
Alarura
Peon

I did not know this about floppy drive, it was before my time unfortunately! 

But thank you for the workaround I'll be sure to give it a test.

I'll have to get around to changing that letter at some point knowing this.

Again, thanks.

Statistics
84251 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 10 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.