Topic Title: Problem reverting back to old drivers!
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/03/2013 08:42 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/03/2013 08:42 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
delta2k
Peon

Okay, so I recently decided to update my drivers and test out the 13.3 beta drivers. After installing them I noticed that Battlefield 3 seemed to be a little more sluggish than I remembered. Then after playing for 15-20 mins the game would crash to the desktop with the error message, "Display driver amdkmdap stopped responding and has successfully recovered." I didn't think too much of it so I booted BF3 up again and proceeded to play for 45 mins without a crash.

Later on I tried playing BF3 again. Just like the time before the game crashed after playing for approx. 15-20 mins. However, this time all I got was a black screen. I rebooted my computer and decided that maybe these drivers weren't working for me. I attempted to uninstall these drivers and reinstall the old ones, 12.10, I believe. I followed the same process I have in the past with reverting back to old drivers. After rebooting my computer to finalize the install of the old drivers I got error message after error message. I got a Task Sheduler Engine error message, a load mmdriver, and a CCC one as well. I can't even get into the CCC and sometimes I can't even get EA's Origin digital gaming service to load without a crash. I'm really at a loss as to how drivers could have caused all this. I've never had problems updating or reverting back to a driver.

I'm getting so frustrated trying to resolve this that I'm about ready to just reformat my system.

Graphics Card
- HIS HD 6970 2GB Iceq Turbo

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- 13.3 Beta trying to revert back to 12.10 drivers or any other driver.

Operating System
- Windows Vista 64bit - latest updates and service pack

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- Asrock P67 Extreme4

Power Supply

- Antec 750W PSU

CPU Details
- i2500k

System Memory Type & Amount
- G.SKILL DDR3-1600 - 16GB

04/03/2013 09:41 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Uninstall the CAPs via control panel, run the AMD Driver Cleanup Tool reboot and install 12.10 and the latest CAPs again

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 04/04/2013 07:57 AM

Author Icon
delta2k
Peon

Does the AMD Driver Cleanup Tool work for Windows Vista? I thought I read that it only supports Windows 7 at the moment. Damn, I'm going to feel like a dope if that does the trick and I didn't even bother giving it a try. I'm not at my home computer at the moment so I'll have to give it a shot after work.

04/04/2013 10:19 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Windows 7 only. The information "How to do a clean install of graphics drivers' located in the HOW TO AND FAQ section gives you another program that works for Vista, XP, and Win8.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

04/04/2013 11:58 AM

Author Icon
delta2k
Peon

Thanks for the reply.

If you're referencing the Driver Sweeper program, I have already tried that and have had no luck with it.  

04/05/2013 08:27 AM

Author Icon
robkarp
Nerfed

I had pretty much this same experience except I was trying to downgrade from 13.2 beta 5 back to 12.4.  From what I saw from my error messages in Event Viewer, something gets broken with .NET when uninstalling the version 13 drivers.  I elected to live with the 13.2 drivers rather than reinstalling .NET.  You might take a look at your error messages in Event Viewer, track them down, and if they relate to .NET then you might try reinstalling .NET.  I believe there is a link to the latest .NET files somewhere in this forum.

Rampage IV Formula; 3930K @ 4.4GHz; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1866; Sapphire HD 7970 x2; Corsair AX1200 PSU
 04/05/2013 08:55 AM

Author Icon
delta2k
Peon

Originally posted by: robkarp I had pretty much this same experience except I was trying to downgrade from 13.2 beta 5 back to 12.4.  From what I saw from my error messages in Event Viewer, something gets broken with .NET when uninstalling the version 13 drivers.  I elected to live with the 13.2 drivers rather than reinstalling .NET.  You might take a look at your error messages in Event Viewer, track them down, and if they relate to .NET then you might try reinstalling .NET.  I believe there is a link to the latest .NET files somewhere in this forum.

Thanks for the response!

I was thinking that this is where my issue was too based on some of the responses I've read on other forums. I tried installing the latest .NET framework, 4.5, I think. The issue still persists after installing it. Also, I've tried to completely uninstall the earlier versions but the uninstall utility in the Control Panel won't let me for some reason. At this point I feel like things are so jacked that I might need to reformat. I've been putting off upgrading to Windows 7 for too long. Perhaps this is the perfect time to do it.

04/05/2013 10:05 AM

Author Icon
robkarp
Nerfed

I understand.  One thing you can try before reinstalling Windows is to download and intall the earlier versions of .NET that you have on your PC (from what you see in Programs and Features).  (http://www.microsoft.com/net/download)  They do co-exist with one another.  I haven't tried it but I have this feeling that either the Catalyst install or the 4.5 .NET install might mess up one of the earlier .NET installations which is what the earlier version 12 drivers need in order to run properly.  Just a guess ...

Rampage IV Formula; 3930K @ 4.4GHz; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1866; Sapphire HD 7970 x2; Corsair AX1200 PSU
 04/05/2013 10:35 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: delta2k
Originally posted by: robkarp I had pretty much this same experience except I was trying to downgrade from 13.2 beta 5 back to 12.4.  From what I saw from my error messages in Event Viewer, something gets broken with .NET when uninstalling the version 13 drivers.  I elected to live with the 13.2 drivers rather than reinstalling .NET.  You might take a look at your error messages in Event Viewer, track them down, and if they relate to .NET then you might try reinstalling .NET.  I believe there is a link to the latest .NET files somewhere in this forum.

Thanks for the response!

I was thinking that this is where my issue was too based on some of the responses I've read on other forums. I tried installing the latest .NET framework, 4.5, I think. The issue still persists after installing it. Also, I've tried to completely uninstall the earlier versions but the uninstall utility in the Control Panel won't let me for some reason. At this point I feel like things are so jacked that I might need to reformat. I've been putting off upgrading to Windows 7 for too long. Perhaps this is the perfect time to do it.

Netframework must be installed before trying to install the drivers...not after. If you have .netframework 4.5 installed..go to windows update and check for updates to Windows. Then follow this tut using driver sweeper instead of the AMD removal tool > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162444&enterthread=y

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

Edited: 04/06/2013 at 01:10 PM by stumped
Statistics
84701 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.