Topic Title: 7850 driver nightmares
Topic Summary: new build (i5-3570K + 7850) and computer continually freezing
Created On: 04/24/2013 05:26 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/24/2013 05:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
mike_bike_kite
Peon

Basically it's a new build and the drivers appear to be playing up. On initiall build the graphics looked great but the PC would freeze once a day in firefox. I did get an error when initially loading the drivers (something about Drag and Drop Transcoding & Media Foundation Transcoders failing). I tried re-installing drivers from the CD and from AMD's site. My current state is that game graphics currently look poor and the PC crashes quite often while playing. If I remove the GPU then everything is fine but obvioulsy the graphics aren't great. I've heard of Catalyst problems before but this is the first time I've really  experienced it.

Graphics Card
-     Saphire OC 2GB HD7850 GDDR5 (11200-14-20G)

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- I tried the drivers on the CD that came with the GPU and also tried drivers from the AMD site
- I tried uninstalling drivers & running CCleaner before the new install - same problem
- even tried reinstalling windows

Operating System
- 64-bit SP1 Win 7

Issue Details
- When the PC was first built it had a problem installing all the drivers:
    AMD Drag and Drop Transcoding
    Final Status: Fail
    Version of Item: 2.00.0000
    Size: 1 Mbytes
    AMD Media Foundation Transcoders
    Final Status: Fail
    Version of Item: 1.0.71219.1540
    Size: 1 Mbytes
- However tried playing Borderlands 2 and it looked and played great.
- I did however get problems (once a day) on websites when occasionally clicking an ordinary links would make the whole system freeze and the screen would go a random colour.
- I ran Furmark (?) and this seemed to run without issues for 15 min and the temp rose and then stayed at 61C.
- I tried unistalling drivers, running CCleaner, rebooting endlessly and reinstalling drivers.
- It didn't help, now the graphics look poor and the game crashes randomly every other time I play.

- it actually crashed while just scrolling through this forum!

- it also doesn't give any sound out the back speaker ports though it works through the headphone socket. Oddly this did originally work before loading drivers again.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- Asus P8Z77-V LX

Power Supply
- OCZ 500W

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- Asus 24" LCD
- standard connection straight to monitor

Applications and Games
- Borderlands 2 and also used to crash in firefox

CPU Details
- i5-3570K with no o/c

Motherboard BIOS Version
- the BIOS version is displayed as soon as your system is powered on (ex: ASUS BIOS 1015)

System Memory Type & Amount
- 2 x 4GB 1600

Additional Hardware
- 1TB HDD with OS on 120GB SSD

Additional Details
- System is new and issues occurred from the start.
- I have virus scanned the PC

Any help would be appreciated. I'm getting despaerate because there is only a limited time to RMA items but then I'm not even sure if it is a hardware issue. How can I tell? How can I just get things to work???

I'm reasonably competant with PC's and even recommend DIY computer builds to other folks (on another forum) but I just can't see where to start with this issue.

Help!

Mike Robinson

04/24/2013 11:13 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

Mike,

ASUS support doesn't even show that BIOS version for THAT mb on their support page....try version 1801.

support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=1&s=39&m=P8Z77-V+LX&os=&hashedid=wUVREuJSCNu0ys0i

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

04/25/2013 05:17 PM

Author Icon
mike_bike_kite
Peon

Sorry it's taken so long to reply, after updating the bios the PC refused to boot up. This meant reinstalling windows etc. The PC now seems more unstable than ever and will often crash 10 or so times during the day! I am up to date with the BIOS now though

04/25/2013 05:33 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

I would go to Intel support...use the Intel driver update utility > http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/detect

Also check the netframework version > http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=444&threadid=162109&enterthread=y

..and check Windows update for uninstalled 'recommended updates"

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

Statistics
88815 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.