Topic Title: How to set up a HD 6950 with a FM2 AMD A10-5800K ?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 04/25/2013 12:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 04/25/2013 12:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
OldtimeGamer
Peon

I've been trying with no success to get my HD 6950 to run as my primary GPU (if that's what I need to do). I realize I can't crossfire the two (as they are not compatible for crossfire) but there is supposed to be a way to set these up, to allow the iGPU and the discrete graphics card to decide which is best suited for a particular task.

I have a Windows 7 64bit OS. Both cards show up under DEVICE MANAGER's DISPALY ADAPTERS. Both show they are functioning properly, however I can't plug the monitor cable into the discrete GPU, ...as all I get is a black screen. It will only work if I have it plugged into the motherboard.

Aside of that, since I instaled the discrete card, I can longer even access BIOS (neither by pressing the direct button on the motherboard or DEL key upon start up. If I pull the 6950 card, all is restored back to as it should be.

I don't know if this is because of the AMD VISION Engine Control center or not... but I think this might be the issue.I tried version 12.10 that came on my support disk, then downloaded 13.10 but it made no difference.

And yes... I had already set my BIOS to PCIe as primary video, prior to the physical instal of the 6950 and installed the LucidLogix software off the ASUS support disk.

(Sorry if this is all in bold font, I couldn't get it to turn off)

Edited: 05/13/2013 at 09:15 AM by AMD Support and Game Moderator
 04/27/2013 01:15 AM

Author Icon
OldtimeGamer
Peon

Has anyone here had problems regarding AMD Vision Control Center in regards to compatibility problems associated with trying to install a discrete GPU, that isn't going to be set up in a crossfire mode?

It doen't really matter which discrete card the problem was with...just that it didnt work witht the AMD Vision Control Center.

04/28/2013 05:35 PM

Author Icon
naptown
Peon

I have this problem as well.  I installed an 7950 on an A10 machine.  I believe my 7950 is working because I have the monitor plugged into it and its up.  To get it this far I had to go to bios and change primary video device to NB PCIe Slot and change the Integrated graphics from AUTO to FORCE, then pick a frame buffer (i used 2g).  This forces both the integrated graphics and discrete to work but im not sure if it is hybrid xfire or what.  I dont want my integrated to run at all, just my 7950 but I have tried every combo of settings to no avail. 

If anyone has gotten a discrete card to run without having the APUs graphics running at all, please post more details! 

THANKS!

04/29/2013 10:10 PM

Author Icon
OldtimeGamer
Peon

I know that you and I cannot be alone in this problem. Its "good" to see that I'm not the only one with this headache. Sorry to see your going through it as well.

See in my case I cant even run the cable out of my HD6950 to the monitor...all I get is a black screen.

I also went into BIOS ans wondered whateffect changing the Intergrated graphics to forfce might have, I havent tried that yet but maybe its worth a shot to see if it would allow me to connect the discrete card to my monitor.

I was just reading about the AMD Vision Control Center (seeing that version 13.4 was releazsed last week. I havent tried installing it yet but am going to try that this evening and see what happenens. In the meantime I compklete removed the AMD Vision Control Center (via basic uninstall).

I am now wondering if the options that show up for ENABLE and DISABLE DUAL GRAPHICS under the PERFORMANCE header in AMD Vision Control Center only appear ....IF you have a discrete card that the iGPU recognizes as able to crossfire with it.

In both your case and mine the A10 at the very least is supposed to be able to swithchg back and forth as the computer decides which GPU is best suited for a particula task.

I'm also in the same boat as you naptown   ...if I need to just abandon the idea of the swithing back and forth thing...so be it. My HD6950 will do the job as my computer is 90%...just for gaming.

Trouble is you can't find any clear cut explanation anywhere that tells you how to disable just the iGPU aspct of the A10. Its not like you would want to uninstall the drivers for the iGPU as someone has already suggested to me. 

Even if I first disable the iGPU then restart the computer, swap over the monitor cable to the HD6950 and restart it... all I get is a black screen....So although the computer is telling me the discret card is working properly (prior to shutting it off and re-booting), something is very wrong. (I'm then stuck having to physically pul the 6950 out of the case and restart the computer. The computer then automatically re-activates the iGPU and the video is back.

I think that this is the actual problem in a nut shell. The iGPU is always allowed to re-activate itself upon restart (even if you click- disable driver --before shutting off the computer). If as you said, we can figure out how to "perminately" disable the iGPU itself...I think we will have solved the problem.

I'm guessing that both your GPU's are also showing up like mine "This device is working properly" .... meaning  if you go under SYSTEM INFORMATION then DEVICE MANAGER and then DISPALY ADAPTERS.

In my case and yours LIKELY as well...both GPU's will be listed and when you check on their individual status, it shows both are functioning properly.

Hopefully some others will help us out, by jumping in on this discussion. In the meanwhile I post anything I can figure out and come up with.

I'm guessing your 7950 is doing exactly the same thing my 6950 is doing..that being working with the iGPU in a dual graphics mode...yet not in crossfire...since neither of us are using the 6670 or 6570 (which would support dual graphic combination with A10.

I think I will try to do what you did with a FORCE BIOS setting and see if it allows my monitor cable to attach to the discrete card as your is allowing. Other than that, I think out problem is identical.

Are you now running AMD Vision Control Center (version 13.4)?

Edited: 04/29/2013 at 10:16 PM by OldtimeGamer
 04/29/2013 10:33 PM

Author Icon
OldtimeGamer
Peon

naptown...read this article I just found about d-Mode and i-Mode and swithcing back and forth using the LucidLogix.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=746&Itemid=72

This might be very useful. I'm trying to read it now and see if this clears things up a little.

04/30/2013 12:03 AM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

I have a A10-5800K and did a clean install of 13.1 CCC prior to installing a HD7850. I have no problems with my system using the discrete card at all. I just updated to 13.4 CCC and I still get great results on all benchmarks and games. I have a HP Pavilion P7-1235 which I updated to Windows 8 Pro. I did do a Windows 8 refresh to get rid of HP stuff that came loaded with the system. With 16GB of ram and the combination of A10-5800K/HD 7850 the machine does what it should.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

04/30/2013 02:42 AM

Author Icon
OldtimeGamer
Peon

Can you give us a little more info to compare?

Tonight I tried to install the newest AMD Vision Control Center (under the selection drop down menu for HD 6000 series), which is 13.4...well actually I ended up trying out the 13.5 Beta, but only because I couldn't get ver. 13.4 to download (after 3 attempts... I figured I'd give the Beta 13.5 version a try.

Not sure what went wrong, but I won't do that again... it "black screened" my system during the install and I had to manually shut off the computer, then remove my GPU (for about the 20th time).

Once I finially could get back into Windows, I removed the AMD Vision Control Center dispaly drivers from my computer. I then installed 10.1 off my ASUS support DVD, which installed the latest Vision Control Center vidoe driver for my  A10-5800K. (so much for the HD 6950  Vision Control Center specific download I thought it should have been)

I had been optomistic that downloading 13.4 or 13.5 specific to the HD 6000 series (the download prompts you to be specific). It would have brought me one step closer to solving the problem..but it made it even worse.

We all have the A10.....Can you download version 13.4, so that it addresses both the A10's-- HD 7660D

and my HD 6950 .....or WMudrockJr's HD 7850 ...or naptown's 7950, etc)?

WMudrockJr....When you say that you have your 7850 working with your A10, are you running your video cable out of the 7850 GPU or are you running it out of the motherboard?

In what order did you set it all up...if you recall? Did you get it right on first try?

Are you using the Lucid Logix and if so how do you have your settings? In dual grpahics mode (d-Mode) vs. (i-Mode)?

How do you have your BIOS set? ---multi monitor set to ON?

So far...it seems YOUR the only person (that I'm communicating with) who has actuall made this work...meaning someone who did no crossfiring the iGPU with a compatible card.

04/30/2013 06:58 AM

Author Icon
naptown
Peon

I think you are correct in that Enable or Dissable Dual Graphics will only show up if you have a compatible card.  I do not have a compatable card (7950) and it does not show up for me. 

I have tried 13.4 and 13.5beta and neither work.  Actually 13.4 screwed up my USB 3.0 so I switched back to 13.3 CCC.  I had tons of problems upgrading drivers, it will black screen and freeze during upgrade which one time caused my drivers to corrupt forcing a fresh install of win 7 (forgot to set up backup points.. idiot).

Both my IGP and Discrete show up as Working Properly under device manager.  I tried to disable the IGP there and got an instant black screen (my monitor is plugged into my discrete card).

Im running Win 7, 8g ram, gigabyte A85X mobo, and Sapphire Reference 7950 gpu

I have not looked into the lucid logix and will do so tonight.

04/30/2013 12:53 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

Using a discrete graphic card other than 6670 the onboard graphics 7660D will be disabled. This means that I have my ACER S200 LED monitor hook to the card. I had to do no bios changes, just plug in the card. 

I did do a couple of things prior to all the hardware changes. I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro. After a couple of months I did a Windows 8 refresh which basicaly wipe out all the HP installed junk. I did a fresh install of 13.1 CCC. I then installed the graphics card and plug in the power cable. Swapped the DVI cable from the onboard port to the graphic card. Just recently I installed 13.4 CCC when it became available.

Here is my system information.

Graphics Card

XFX HD 7850 Core Edition 1GB GDDR5

AMD Catalyst Driver Version

13.4 updated on 13.1

Issues Details

N/A

Motherboard

MSI 7778 (Jasmine)

Power Supply

500W

Display Device

ACER S200HL

CPU Detail

AMD A10-5800K

Motherboard Bios

AMI V7.07

System Memory

16GB

Slot 1 Crucial PC3-12800 4GB

Slot 2 Crucial PC3-12800 4GB

Slot 3 Micron PC3-12800 4GB

Slot 4 Micron PC3-12800 4GB

Additional Hardware

1 TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA630 Harddrive

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

04/30/2013 03:25 PM

Author Icon
OldtimeGamer
Peon

The more reading I did, it seemed to me that the AMD Cat Contol only displays those options that are specific to your combination...altough I couldnt find anything in writing to confirm that assumption.

I tried for several hours to find a version that would display the ENABLE  and DISABLE optitions under PERFORMANCE but finially concluded that if you don't have a "compatible" card (ie. crossfire capable) those click boxes won't show up.

The 13.4 and 13.5 beta were and are apparently a problem for many people, as I learned last night from reading more on the 13.4/13.5 subject. There is a thread that I jumped into discussing the very problem with the latest release.

Where you said..."Both my IGP and Discrete show up as Working Properly under device manager.  I tried to disable the IGP there and got an instant black screen (my monitor is plugged into my discrete card)." I tried the same thing and got the same reuslts as you point out, only I'm not able to use the output on my discrete card at all. I always get a message saying "check the cable connection".

I read somewhere that you can fully disable it this way....or maybe not at all but the person who posted the comment provided no explanation to back that "fact" up.

As far as lucid logix...do yo have it installed at all? I have the LucidLogix MVP. A copy of it came on my motherboard support disk and I updated it to the latest copy. 

Since I have listed it ...My computer is running the following:

ASUS FM2A85-V PRO motherboard

MSI HD R6950 2GB GPU

AMD A10-5800K

16GB memory

530W Power Supply

Windows 7 64 bit

Originally posted by: naptown I think you are correct in that Enable or Dissable Dual Graphics will only show up if you have a compatible card.  I do not have a compatable card (7950) and it does not show up for me. 

I have tried 13.4 and 13.5beta and neither work.  Actually 13.4 screwed up my USB 3.0 so I switched back to 13.3 CCC.  I had tons of problems upgrading drivers, it will black screen and freeze during upgrade which one time caused my drivers to corrupt forcing a fresh install of win 7 (forgot to set up backup points.. idiot).

Both my IGP and Discrete show up as Working Properly under device manager.  I tried to disable the IGP there and got an instant black screen (my monitor is plugged into my discrete card).

Im running Win 7, 8g ram, gigabyte A85X mobo, and Sapphire Reference 7950 gpu

I have not looked into the lucid logix and will do so tonight.

04/30/2013 03:33 PM

Author Icon
OldtimeGamer
Peon

Thanks for helping us out here.

...So if you click on the DEVICE MANAGE, then under DISPAY ADAPTERS, both GPUS are listed...your A10's --HD 7660D is showing that it is disabled and your 7850 shows the device is functing properly

Both my GPU's show they are function propery...meaning the HD 7660D is not disabled. If I click disable all I get is a black screen at that point.

If I then manually shut it off and swap the cable over to the HD 6950 and reboot...nothing but a black screen.

I can even hook up to my card...but my computer tells me it is working propery.

Originally posted by: WMudrockJr Using a discrete graphic card other than 6670 the onboard graphics 7660D will be disabled. This means that I have my ACER S200 LED monitor hook to the card. I had to do no bios changes, just plug in the card. 

I did do a couple of things prior to all the hardware changes. I had upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 8 Pro. After a couple of months I did a Windows 8 refresh which basicaly wipe out all the HP installed junk. I did a fresh install of 13.1 CCC. I then installed the graphics card and plug in the power cable. Swapped the DVI cable from the onboard port to the graphic card. Just recently I installed 13.4 CCC when it became available.

Here is my system information.

Graphics Card

XFX HD 7850 Core Edition 1GB GDDR5

AMD Catalyst Driver Version

13.4 updated on 13.1

Issues Details

N/A

Motherboard

MSI 7778 (Jasmine)

Power Supply

500W

Display Device

ACER S200HL

CPU Detail

AMD A10-5800K

Motherboard Bios

AMI V7.07

System Memory

16GB

Slot 1 Crucial PC3-12800 4GB

Slot 2 Crucial PC3-12800 4GB

Slot 3 Micron PC3-12800 4GB

Slot 4 Micron PC3-12800 4GB

Additional Hardware

1 TB Hitachi HDS721010CLA630 Harddrive

04/30/2013 04:28 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

Sorry when I say disabled it does not show up under Device Mgr. Only the HD7850 card does.

04/30/2013 04:54 PM

Author Icon
naptown
Peon

Yes when I am in device manager both my IGP and Discrete show up.  And both say that they are working properly.  I know that my IGP is slowing my system down because when I run graphics tests its as slow as if i just had no dedicated card and was just running off my mobo (which im not my display is plugged into my discrete card).  Also if i try to fire up a game the video portion of the screen (not the health bars and 2d *****) turn from solid pink to white and just stays like that until i exit the game.  There is some link between the onboard and discrete that I dont think should be there.  It has to be a driver issue but im not 100% sure.  I have thought about testing out using a dummy plug.

http://www.overclock.net/t/384733/the-30-second-dummy-plug

And try a few different bios setting with one of those plugged into my IGP.

04/30/2013 07:19 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

I'm really stumped on this one. I ran Passmark Performance Test before and after installing the HD 7850. The before shows the HD 7660D with a score of 832 on the G3D. After installing the HD 7850 my score was 3671. Both scores are a close to what Passmark states on there website. 

Originally I sent a request to AMD technical support because I wasn't sure about Crossfire/Dual Graphics with a HD 6670. The performance gain wasn't that great so I asked about using a HD 7850 by itself. The AMD technical support staff told me that the HD7660D would just disable itself when the HD 7850 was installed.

04/30/2013 11:54 PM

Author Icon
OldtimeGamer
Peon

In my case I ran the graphics program 3DMark test first... without my HD 6950 installed and then again, with it installed.

The results were just about the same with and without the discrete card. Some numbers were actually even lower.... with the 6950 GPU installed, so I know the 7660D is clearly slowing things down.

Like naptown said...when I am in device manager both my IGP and Discrete show up.  And both say that they are working properly.

Clearly the 7660D is not lettng the 6950 do its job.

Statistics
81019 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.