Topic Title: PC freezes when trying to leave monitor standby mode
Topic Summary: only happens when using a DVI cable with HDMI Adapter
Created On: 06/21/2013 07:39 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 06/21/2013 07:39 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
IceCube
Peon

Graphics Card
PowerColor HD7950 (not OCed)

beforePowerColor HD6870 (not OCed)
AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- 13.6 Beta 2 => problem

- 13.4 => problem

- Windows default driver => works fine

Operating System
- Windows 7 Professional x64

Issue Details

First choose in Windows energy saving settings to shutdown the monitor after a minute for testing the standby.

My old monitor was directly connected via DVI cable, because both monitor and graphics card (HD6870) had this port and HDMI port of the card is needed for TV connection. With this setup standby mode worked without problems.

I changed monitor and graphics card and the new monitor has no DVI port. I first connected it directly via HDMI cable to the card and there are also no problems with standby. But as I already said: I need the HDMI port of the card for the TV connection. The new graphics card came with a DVI-to-HDMI-adapter, so I connected the DVI cable I used with the old monitor to the card and at the other end to the adapter cable which is plugged into the monitor.

The monitor also enters standby mode like with the other setups, but as soon as I move the mouse to leave, the PC freezes. (I can see it on the clock of the Logitech G510 display and the not changing numpad-LED) Only way is to do a reset.

This problem only occurs if I have the Catalyst driver installed. With default Windows graphics driver it works fine. I also tried only installing Catalyst graphics driver, without the other software included in the setup => same problem. So this must be a problem of the driver itself.

Please help me fix this, so I can use DVI. I've also read, that ZeroCorePower won't work, when using a HDMI cable. This means for me: more energy consumption (without standby & ZCP).

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- Asus M5A97 Evo R2.0

Power Supply

- Super Flower Golden Silent Fanless Platinum 500W ATX 2.3 (SF-500P14FG)

HD7950 is connected via two separate PCIe cables.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used

LG IPS237L (VGA/HDMI)

before: HP 2309m (DVI/HDMI)

Applications and Games

- only happens in monitor standby

CPU Details
- AMD FX-6300 (not OCed)

Motherboard BIOS Version
-

System Memory Type & Amount

- 2x4GB

Additional Hardware

- Asus Xonar Essence STX (PCIe)

Additional Details
-

06/30/2013 07:20 PM

Author Icon
IceCube
Peon

Windows 7 seems to generate a crashdump file sometimes.

This is the output of the windows debugging tool for one of the files:

http://pastebin.com/CEGnSVQ3

07/09/2013 06:41 PM

Author Icon
totesmuhgoats
Peon

I have a Sapphire Radeon HD 7870 Ghz Edition and I am experiencing similar issues with both the 13.4 drivers and the 13.6 beta drivers.

Below are some crash dumps
http://pastebin.com/NFm65gkT
http://pastebin.com/sNFV4tEy
http://pastebin.com/AJTAu1tC

I have 2 monitors connected by DVI.Sometimes the monitors will wake up fine, other times they won't.
The monitors' power indicators will switch from orange (indicating sleep) to blue but the image will remain black. I can sometimes unplug them and plug one back in to get a picture, Windows is still responsive, hitting the power button on the physical computer will cause some hard disk activity. Sometimes the pc will BSOD and leave a crash dump like the ones posted. On occasion one of the monitors will wake up, but at a very low resolution and the desktop will not be extended onto the other one (as if the driver had been restarted).

I have used this EXACT same hadware configuration, monitors, motherboard, cpu, ram, PSU with my old card up till last month, ASUS Radeon HD 5770 CuCore with multiple iterations of the driver (the latest being 13.4). Never experienced this issue. There doesn't seem to be any bugginess / visual artifacts / heat issues otherwise.

07/10/2013 04:53 PM

Author Icon
IceCube
Peon

Hey totesmuhgoats,

it seems to be an issue with the ZeroCorePower feature of the HD7xxx-series.
AMD support stated, that all known bugs regarding this have been fixed with 13.4 and that noone else had reported issues for it since then. They've sent me a manual how to do a clean reinstall of 13.6 Beta. I tried it but the issue is still reproducable.
On Sunday I've created a bug ticket for the current beta driver, with a link to this thread. Let's see if this will help.

btw: Your 2nd crash dump looks similar to mine (atikmpag.sys).
 07/10/2013 11:05 PM

Author Icon
totesmuhgoats
Peon

I hope they'll address the issue since it was already closed. If not, it impacts my system stability enough that I'd consider selling my card and going another route. For now i've just disabled suspending the display in Windows' power management applet.
 07/12/2013 05:59 PM

Author Icon
RQuallsJR
Nerfed

I get the same thing as totesmuhgoats, I just hit ctrl-alt- delete. screen comes up then I hit cancel and all is well. It shouldn`t be doing this but hopefully it will be fixed soon.

-------------------------

Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
AMD Phnome 2x4 955 Black 3.6GHz (O.C)
G.Skill 16Gig (4x4Gig)DDR3 1333 Dual ch.F3-10666CL7Q RIPJAWS-X
Asus 7770 2GIG 128Bit DDR5
CORSAIR 850tx 850Watt Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF932 ATX Case
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
Samsung DVD Burner Sata W/DL/lightscribe
Pioneer DVD burner USB W/DL/Lightscribe
2-WD 250 Gig HD
1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

07/14/2013 07:39 AM

Author Icon
totesmuhgoats
Peon

Originally posted by: IceCube

Hey totesmuhgoats,

it seems to be an issue with the ZeroCorePower feature of the HD7xxx-series. AMD support stated, that all known bugs regarding this have been fixed with 13.4 and that noone else had reported issues for it since then. They've sent me a manual how to do a clean reinstall of 13.6 Beta. I tried it but the issue is still reproducable. On Sunday I've created a bug ticket for the current beta driver, with a link to this thread. Let's see if this will help.

btw: Your 2nd crash dump looks similar to mine (atikmpag.sys).

Wondering if we can get a link to the bug tracker page with the bug you submitted so we can monitor progress. Google doesn't even seem to yield the AMD bug tracker page.

07/14/2013 04:20 PM

Author Icon
IceCube
Peon

Originally posted by: totesmuhgoats

Wondering if we can get a link to the bug tracker page with the bug you submitted so we can monitor progress. Google doesn't even seem to yield the AMD bug tracker page.

Yes, AMD bug tracking doesn't seem to be public. Only thing you'll find on Google is the "issue reporting form" which I used a week ago.

I'm hoping for a response from AMD and a soon fix, but I guess this may take months...

08/02/2013 11:43 PM

Author Icon
Drifterdude
Peon

I'm having an extremely similar issue to this I'm bout to post up. Win 8 default driver works but either beta or 13.4 I freeze up when leaving standby also when going from lock to metro and if I make it far enough from metro to desktop. Getting old.

08/06/2013 03:01 AM

Author Icon
totesmuhgoats
Peon

Installed 13.8 today. Issue still persists

I should also mention that the displays don't always go to sleep when they should.

Edited: 08/06/2013 at 03:25 AM by totesmuhgoats
 09/13/2013 05:05 AM

Author Icon
totesmuhgoats
Peon

Installed 13.10, don't see anything listed about this in the release notes. Let's see how it goes.

Statistics
86455 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.