Topic Title: 7970 Power Problems - Drivers
Topic Summary: Display Resets Game Crashing
Created On: 07/01/2013 01:21 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/01/2013 01:21 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
SGordon
Peon

I have been having problems running World of Tanks for a long time and until recently the game was unplayable.

MSI R7970 (Windows 8 64 bit)

It  turne out the downloadable drivers were not automatically adjusting power and fan speed causing video resets and crashing the game.  In trouble shooting this I even rolled back OS to Windows 7 ... same issue.  So I decided to remove the downloaded catalyst drivers and go with the default Windows 8 drivers.  I found that the game had fewer resets, but noted that I could hear the 7970 fan ramp up speed while I was in game.  So I reinstalled catalyst, played game and did not hear the fan ramp up, behold another reset.  Then I got into catalyst config and found where I could adjust the speed manually by %.  That worked and kept the 7970 cool for play...  

So the automatic settings for fan speed were not working, because I had to manually increase fan speed.

Additionally I researched the MIS Site and found they had an application called "MIS Afterburner."  Initially, I thought this was only overclocking software.  I installed it and have not had a single crash/reset since. 

Please fix your catalyst drivers so the properly call to adjust fan speed or power as needed for the card.

Statistics
84201 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.