Topic Title: Latest AMD Driver is causing my monitor to stop working
Topic Summary: When I download the latest AMD driver my computer boots to a background image and mouse arrow with nothing else.
Created On: 07/09/2013 02:43 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/09/2013 02:43 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
roninpenguin
Peon

So for months I had been avoiding my Windows update because every time I installed it my screen would go to an image of my desktop background and mouse arrow but nothing else.  I kept digging into Windows tech fixes thinking it was a problem with Windows but after months of frustrations of on again off again attempts to fix it, it turns out that it was the AMD Driver update that was causing the problem.  

OS is Windows Vista 64bit

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300

Graphics is a Radeon HD 6600

Please let me know if there is any other info that you need.

What can I do to fix this problem, I'm pulling my hair out here.

07/09/2013 09:07 AM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

What can I do to fix this problem

Quit downloading driver updates from Windows Update. Download drivers here at AMD's website.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/09/2013 10:40 AM

Author Icon
darkhunt333
Peon

Originally posted by: black_zion
What can I do to fix this problem
Quit downloading driver updates from Windows Update. Download drivers here at AMD's website.

Best.  Advice.  Ever.  It really is.

07/09/2013 09:53 PM

Author Icon
roninpenguin
Peon

To bad that driver borks my computer in the exact same way.  I wouldn't have posted here unless I tried the driver straight from AMD first.  That is how I know it is the AMD Driver and not something from Microsoft.

Please, if you do not really want to help me then don't post here, you got my hopes up when I saw a reply.  A truely helpful person would have asked "Have you tried the driver update directly from AMD?" instead of asuming I was a moron.

07/09/2013 10:01 PM

Author Icon
roninpenguin
Peon

I will also add incase anyone asks,

I have done deep virus and mallware scans with Avast and AWD, tried Microsofts Windows repair, and various other things that I found may have been the problems on the net.

I'm only semi techincally literate (I can uses CSS, some Java coding, HTML, etc. etc. the kind of stuff that you pick up surfing the web) and I can follow instructions on how to do more techincal things and am confident in that, but I don't really understand the more deeper coding and what not.

Having said that the thing that keeps coming up on a Google search is that some program at one point may have scrambled the setting on what runs what when it comes to my monitor drivers.  I've tried re-installing the drivers from scratch yet that didn't fix the problem, and that is why I'm here hoping someone would help me.

07/09/2013 10:28 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Originally posted by: roninpenguin

To bad that driver borks my computer in the exact same way.  I wouldn't have posted here unless I tried the driver straight from AMD first.  That is how I know it is the AMD Driver and not something from Microsoft.

Please, if you do not really want to help me then don't post here, you got my hopes up when I saw a reply.  A truely helpful person would have asked "Have you tried the driver update directly from AMD?" instead of asuming I was a moron.

I assumed you were a moron when you somehow went through all of the hassle of registering and you somehow missed the big **STICKY** | PLEASE READ BEFORE POSTING topic. If all you post pertains to avoiding Windows Update because the Windows Update drivers screw up your computer, how are we supposed to know what else you tried? It's a well known fact that updating drivers through Windows Update and STEAM are very bad ideas, so in the process known as troubleshooting, we work with the information given, and work from most simple to most complex.

Someone else care to help this person given the wealth of information he provided?

ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/10/2013 01:09 AM

Author Icon
roninpenguin
Peon

Then why does the driver still not work correctly when I use the one directly from AMD? If using the Windows Update messes it up and then using the AMD doesn't fix it how do I fix that?  It isn't in any of the stickies that I scanned unless it is buried, I admit I was just looking for people who had the same problem, if the fix was mentioned for a different problem then I probably missed it.

As far as the sticky lets go through what I did give vs the sticky...

Graphics Card

Gave that in my original post

AMD Catalyst Driver Version

I figured that "Latest for my card" would have been enough info

OS

Gave that as well

Issue Details

Gave That

Mother Board

Honestly I don't know

Power Supply

Again I don't know

Display Device

I admit I missed this one, View Sonic VX2262

Applications and Games

I gave this in the discription of my problem

CPU

Gave that as well

Mother Board BIOS version

Again I don't know

System Memory Type

Don't know as well

Additional Hardware

I really don't know a lot about the Hardware and while I could dig through and find all this I would like to see if someone may have had this issue before before I go through and dig up all this info.

Honestly I went over this list before I posted and I just flat out didn't know much of it, sorry, I don't build computers for a living, I'm just a legal assistant who tries to do as much as he can on his own.  You don't have to be a douche bag by trying to make me feel as though I'm not worth helping because I don't know these things.

If you needed any of this other info you could have asked and I would have happily tried my best to answer, maybe you could have helped me find this info for you, instead you just dismiss me as being beneath your help because I don't have your techincal knowledge.  I just hope that you go somewhere for help someday , when you too are already frustrated and just looking for someone to share their skill, and they treat you the same way.

Anyway, I think I'm done here.  If this is the way that AMD does customer support then I think I'll find a differnt company to do buisness with from now on.  It's just not worth the frustration.

07/10/2013 12:01 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Well, you took a wrong turn somewhere and eneded up in the Gaming Forum...which is peer-to-peer. There are no AMD technical support people here. In the FAQ section of the forum is a contact list for AMD Support. You can e-mail them or pick up a phone and call them...there are contacts for most countries in the world. As far as you not knowing anything about your own computer...this usually points to a laptop owner.... this ignorance is probably the cause of your issue. Is your computer a laptop?

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

07/10/2013 10:00 PM

Author Icon
roninpenguin
Peon

Thank you for being more civil then the other gentleman.  Actually this is a desk top, and while I did know most of these things when I purchased it almost 5 years ago, I honestly have forgoten most of it.  The only thing hardware wise I've done since then is check my wattage to make sure that it could support this graphics card when I purchased it over a year ago but have delt with so many other computers since then I don't feel confident that I remember that detail.  I know I could find all this info out, but before I started digging I just wanted to see if someone had this problem before and maybe already had a fix ready and figured that I had enough info to do so, if I was mistaken I appologize.

I originally clicked the link on the page for my graphics card for the AMD Issues Reporting Form...

http://support.amd.com/us/gpudownload/windows/Pages/radeonaiw_vista64.aspx

But that link is now dead (and I have found since browsing this forum that they close the form 30 days after the release of a driver)

I then followed the link off of this page to "Support Forums"

http://support.amd.com/us/Pages/AMDSupportHub.aspx

I went straigh to the "Suite and Drivers" forums, scanned the stickies and posts for similar problems, then posted here.  I didn't see and "ATI" or "AMD" direct support contacts or links before this so I figured they must monitor these forums to help their customers.  I was wondering why they had their customer support in a gaming forum but I just figured it was a larger part of their buisness so they must have combined it all under that heading.

I found the form now on the bottom of the FAQ page at AMD to fill out, I honestly must not have scrolled all the way down on that page my first time through.  They really need to reorganize their page for people who need help, this forum is linked everywhere saying "Support", of course people are going to end up here instead of where they need to be.

07/10/2013 10:04 PM

Author Icon
roninpenguin
Peon

And it turns out the form on the bottom of the FAQ was just a "How good is our FAQ" rating form, I jumped to soon when I saw a form.

Do you have a link to the FAQ that has their support contact info by chance?  I've looked at several different ones and didn't see that infromation.

07/10/2013 10:18 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Yes...here is the form . It is found in the FAQ section under AMD/ATI Global Technical support . US contact page > either raise a ticket (e-mail) or use the phone center.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

07/11/2013 01:16 AM

Author Icon
roninpenguin
Peon

Thank you very much.

Statistics
84172 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 8 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.