Topic Title: low framerate
Topic Summary: why?
Created On: 07/09/2013 07:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/09/2013 07:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
snowleopard
Peon

Hi.

I'm running an AMD Radeon HD 7670M 2GB graphics card on my notebook.
It's a dual-gpu machine AMD/Intel, when i run Tribes it's set to run on my AMD card.

I'm only getting 20-30fps, some other guys I game with are getting 200+.

Why are my fps so low?
Is it the card i have? My processor? Simply because I'm on a notebook?

other specs:
Intel Core i7-3632QM
1TB hd
16GB memory

-------------------------
 07/09/2013 08:02 PM

Author Icon
snowleopard
Peon

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 7670M (2GB)
Intel 4000

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
not sure where to find this output

Operating System
x64 Windows8

Issue Details
low frames-per-second

Motherboard or System Make & Model
Sony Vaio E Series
Model SVE14AE13L

Power Supply
Standard Lithium-ion Battery 5300mAh
Runs while plugged in

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
integrated notebook hardware

Applications and Games
Tribes Ascend

CPU Details
3rd Gen Intel Core i7-3632QM
1TB hard drive
16GB memory (8GBx2)

Motherboard BIOS Version
R0202V5

Additional Details
clean. freshly reformatted and updated.

07/09/2013 08:47 PM

Author Icon
totesmuhgoats
Peon

Not too familiar with mobile GPUs. Keeping that in mind...

http://community.futuremark.com/hardware/gpu/AMD+Radeon+HD+7670M/review

The score your card gets in 3Dmark is 1060, which is less than half of a 7750. Based on that chart it should offer around a third of the performance of my 5770 which is 3 years old. Its very possible that the speed of your GPU is the limiting factor.

You can improve your performance by making sure your graphics drivers are up to date and that you have the latest CAP package installed. Also, lowering the settings in the game you are playing (highly recommended).

For slower cards you will see a big performance boost by dropping the resolution that the game is running at to the lowest you can stand to look at. Also disable things like AA / AF / V-sync altogether.

Things that your card is probably too slow to do or might only be able to run on low include shadows, ambient occlusion, and lighting / reflection effects. If you turn these things off / down you will see a noticable improvement in performance.

Personally, I like deskops because there is a lot more performance to be had at a lower price as you can see from the chart in that same link. You can always upgrade just one component if needed (I went from a 5770 to a 7870 earlier this month). If it fits your lifestyle I would consider getting a cheaper, more portable laptop for mobility and consider putting the cost difference into a desktop PC for tasks that need more power. A plenty capable gaming PC can be built for $600. I built mine for that price 3 years ago and I only upgraded the graphics card for the first time this month.

07/09/2013 10:44 PM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

This post has been answered in the laptop forum.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

07/10/2013 12:04 AM

Author Icon
snowleopard
Peon

Originally posted by: totesmuhgoats Not too familiar with mobile GPUs. Keeping that in mind...

The score your card gets in 3Dmark is 1060, which is less than half of a 7750. Based on that chart it should offer around a third of the performance of my 5770 which is 3 years old. Its very possible that the speed of your GPU is the limiting factor.

You can improve your performance by making sure your graphics drivers are up to date and that you have the latest CAP package installed. Also, lowering the settings in the game you are playing (highly recommended).

For slower cards you will see a big performance boost by dropping the resolution that the game is running at to the lowest you can stand to look at. Also disable things like AA / AF / V-sync altogether.

Things that your card is probably too slow to do or might only be able to run on low include shadows, ambient occlusion, and lighting / reflection effects. If you turn these things off / down you will see a noticable improvement in performance.

Personally, I like deskops because there is a lot more performance to be had at a lower price as you can see from the chart in that same link. You can always upgrade just one component if needed (I went from a 5770 to a 7870 earlier this month). If it fits your lifestyle I would consider getting a cheaper, more portable laptop for mobility and consider putting the cost difference into a desktop PC for tasks that need more power. A plenty capable gaming PC can be built for $600. I built mine for that price 3 years ago and I only upgraded the graphics card for the first time this month.

I'll shop around and see if i can get an upgrade, thanks.
I did some benchmarks before i purchased but your explanation is more detailed than the research i did myself.

Originally posted by: stumped This post has been answered in the laptop forum.

Link to thread? I'll browse the forum, hopefully I can find it.

Thanks again everyone.

07/10/2013 12:29 AM
User is online View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: snowleopard
Originally posted by: totesmuhgoats Not too familiar with mobile GPUs. Keeping that in mind...

I'll shop around and see if i can get an upgrade, thanks. I did some benchmarks before i purchased but your explanation is more detailed than the research i did myself.

Originally posted by: stumped This post has been answered in the laptop forum.

Link to thread? I'll browse the forum, hopefully I can find it.

Thanks again everyone.

It's where your other posts were moved. Laptops issues are posted in the LAPTOP forum. Not too difficult to understand. click

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

07/10/2013 01:53 AM

Author Icon
snowleopard
Peon

I thought they got deleted, and i didn't receive an email.
Game-related issues go in the game forum, right...?
Thanks for the link.

Edited: 07/10/2013 at 04:25 AM by snowleopard
Statistics
88741 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 11 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.