Topic Title: CCC is a resource hog and getting worse every update
Topic Summary: Every update it seems CCC uses more disk space, more ram and more cpu cycles
Created On: 07/10/2013 10:53 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/10/2013 10:53 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
xtremeqg
Peon

Generic reporting template mostly filled out can be found below. The issue is basically the excessive amount of resouces that CCC uses, which is getting worse and worse with every iteration. For a simple software tool that can change some basic settings (gamma, opengl/direct3d preferences) by flipping some values in the windows registry, I find this completely unacceptable.

In general, CCC increases my startup time by well over 20 seconds. On a warm system, after freshly terminating CCC and relaunching it still takes 15-20 seconds to start up.

Aside from these problems, it also seems to leak memory. After having my system run for roughly 12 days, CCC is using well over 4GB of ram. This is more than most computers have available for the entire system.

If it wasn't for the lack of alternatives to adjust the gamma on my secondary monitor (light output of a CRT is very different than that of an LCD) I would have installed this useless application long ago.

I do not expect this report to be read or even answered since it has nothing to do with games or 3D performance. 

Graphics Card
AMD Radeon HD 6770

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
Driver packaging version: 9.012-121219a-152192C-ATI
Catalyst version: 13.1
2D Driver version: 8.01.01.1278
Direct3D Version: 9.14.10.0945
OpenGL Version: 6.14.10.12002
Catalyst Control Center Version: 2012.1219.1521.27485 

Operating System
Windows 7 Ultimate Edition - 64 bits

Issue Details
Symptoms:
- Massive memory usage by CCC, in excess of 4GB.
- Terminating CCC via task manager solves the issue.
Reproduction:
- Turn on computer
- Use computer normally for ~12 days
- Task manager now shows system is using 6GB of memory (4 of which are used by CCC)
Details:
- Was performing some tests on a project of mine when I noticed excessive memory usage on a nearly idle system. Task manager did not point out any particular culprit. Using Process Explorer I found that CCC had a virtual memory size of well over 800MB. Upon terminating CCC.exe, memory usage dropped from 6GB down to ~1.8GB

Motherboard or System Make & Model
Gigabyte EP43T-UD3L (not relevant to issue)

Power Supply

Some generic 800W gold-rated PSU (not relevant to issue)

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- Primary display is a generic LCD connected using standard VGA cable (not relevant to issue)
- Secondary display is a generic CRT connected using standard VGA cable (not relevant to issue) 

Applications and Games

The only application active at the time was skype as I already closed everything else.

CPU Details
Intel Q6600 2.4GHz stock quad core, stepping B, Revision G), overclocked to 3GHz via bios using multiplier of 9 with FSB of 333MHz (not relevant to issue)

Motherboard BIOS Version
Last time I saw that was 12 days ago, unknown (not relevant to issue)

System Memory Type & Amount
16GB of DDR3 at 533MHz (5:8 ratio) with a CAS of 7. (not relevant to issue)
4 modules of 4GB using interlaced symmetric dual channel.
 (not relevant to issue)

Additional Hardware
Too much to write down (not relevant to issue)

Additional Details
Not relevant to issue

07/10/2013 03:50 PM

Author Icon
black_zion
80 Column Mind

Reproduction:
- Turn on computer
- Use computer normally for ~12 days

Solution: Shut down computer after you are through for the day.

-------------------------
ASUS Sabertooth 990FX/Gen3 R2, FX-8350 w/ Corsair H60, 8 GiB G.SKILL RipjawsX DDR3-2133, XFX HD 7970 Ghz, 512GB Vertex 4, 256GB Vector, 240GB Agility 3, Creative X-Fi Titanium w/ Creative Gigaworks S750, SeaSonic X750, HP ZR2440w, Win 7 Ultimate x64
 07/11/2013 02:49 AM

Author Icon
xtremeqg
Peon

Yes, I should have expected intelligent comments such as yours. Require people to shut down their computer daily due to a single application that is written so poorly it actually manages to leak memory in a managed language (C#) that has buit-in garbage collection (I suppose that's an achievement?). Right... I'm pretty sure Google, Microsoft, Level3, Facebook etc. all power cycle their servers daily for the same reason. Does wonders to their PUE rating I'm sure.

Can I send you the bill for hardware replacements due to increased wear from frequent startups?

No official response whatsoever regarding a (mandatory) piece of software bundled with a company's number one product. To be expected from a large multinational. And now I probably get banned for violating forum rules or some such.

My mistake for filing a bug report, you are right. I should instead spend my time reverse engineering this monstrosity to figure out how it changes gamma settings and write my own utility to do so. Would take less time too.

07/11/2013 03:32 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Well as some one who never turns off the computer I can say that you more than likely have some sort of virus.  I have the same OS and run windows for days on end and have never had CCC gobble up resources like you say yours does.  I would be looking elsewhere for your solution.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

07/11/2013 03:39 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: xtremeqg a single application that is written so poorly it actually manages to leak memory in a managed language (C#) that has buit-in garbage collection (I suppose that's an achievement?).

It never occured to you that maybe the bug is in the garbage collection (.net runtime), not in the application itself?

As you run your computer without turning it off or restarting, I bet you're one of those who doesn't install updates because then they'd have to reboot, which is a catastropy. Am I right?

If I am, fire up windows update and install all hotfixes, then try again.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

07/11/2013 11:30 AM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

"...increased wear from frequent startups..."  THAT is awesome!

Keep in mind that if your computer is turned off while you are away from it, it is very unlikely that your house will EVER burn down from a fire started from it.

Non-noob components.

07/11/2013 01:26 PM

Author Icon
trutiss
Nerfed

i have no such issue with my owm hardware,running non stop day and night 8gb ddr2 from witch 4991Mb are free right now after 4 days of beign awake,OS Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and catalyst 13.4,it could be some memory leak from some other software,also i have set windows to "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" because some older games require that to work,right now ccc.exe in resource monitor shows 77.33 kb using so it must something else that uses your ram memory,and no way ccc it causes to booot your os that slow,remember i never shut down my pc unless there is a power outage.try using resource monitor maybe it shows there what is eating memory,be aware that some 3rd psrty programs like game trainers or something else after closing them are still leaking memory so you need to reboot in that case but only one trainer it did that to me it was a gta4 trainer.

windows 7 x64/4770K@Stock,Asrock z87 Extreme6/Sapphire hd6970/Corsair 850 tx

07/12/2013 05:41 PM

Author Icon
xtremeqg
Peon

Yes! More replies

Originally posted by: QB the Slayer Well as some one who never turns off the computer I can say that you more than likely have some sort of virus.  I have the same OS and run windows for days on end and have never had CCC gobble up resources like you say yours does.  I would be looking elsewhere for your solution.

I'd believe you, if it weren't for the fact that I ran 3 different anti-virus toolkits last week due to suspicious behavior (hard disks kept waking up from standby) and came up clean. In the end it turned out to be Skype's update reminder thingy :/

Originally posted by: Eydee

It never occured to you that maybe the bug is in the garbage collection (.net runtime), not in the application itself?

Mmmm you got a point there. Might need to file a bug report at Microsoft instead.

Originally posted by: EydeeAs you run your computer without turning it off or restarting, I bet you're one of those who doesn't install updates because then they'd have to reboot, which is a catastropy. Am I right?

If I am, fire up windows update and install all hotfixes, then try again.

Dead wrong. In fact, Windows been bothering me to reboot my computer since last night due to automatic updates that have been installed.

Originally posted by: UcouldBrong "...increased wear from frequent startups..."  THAT is awesome!

Keep in mind that if your computer is turned off while you are away from it, it is very unlikely that your house will EVER burn down from a fire started from it.

Not living in the US... house made of stone. Plus, it's an appartment so I'm pretty sure the neighbors would notice. Besides, if some component overheats the system shuts down so meh. Been through quite a couple failures during the years:

- liquid pump died and the cpu vaporized all cooling liquid it could touch before tripping a thermal warning, shutting down the system.

- PSU shorted out and obviously the whole thing turned off.

- hard disk failed and was promptly deactivated by OS.

Yet... house on fire is not on that list.

Originally posted by: trutiss i have no such issue with my owm hardware,running non stop day and night 8gb ddr2 from witch 4991Mb are free right now after 4 days of beign awake,OS Windows 7 Enterprise x64 and catalyst 13.4

Waste of 4 gigs then if you still have that much free after half a week. I'm sitting at 170MB at the moment, though roughly 13GB available (have some stuff running). No, did not restart my PC since this thread was started.

Originally posted by: trutissit could be some memory leak from some other software

Another program may or may not cause this issue, sure. I've seen quite a few applications that create hooks, attach plugins and autoload DLLs all over the system in order to be more "integrated" into the UI. Honestly though, do not feel like trawling through a 4GB stack dump to find a different culprit when no other application has been affected.

Originally posted by: trutissalso i have set windows to "automatically manage paging file size for all drives" because some older games require that to work

You are describing Windows 98 I think. Nowadays, everything is virtual memory. The application has no clue whether some region is in the page file or not. All memory is paged in and out of physical memory at the whim of your operating system. When allocating a block of memory, it can be requested that that block resides in the page file rather than physical memory. However, this is not guaranteed. The only guarantee you do have is that if no memory (any) is available, allocation fails and usually your application dies. Either case, may want to lock that down to 1-2GB to prevent disk fragmentation due to constant growing of your page file. Also, prevents funny allocation attacks where a virus claims as much memory as it can. Not really a problem until you have a 200GB page file on your system disk and critical components start to fail due to lack of disk AND memory space.

Originally posted by: trutissright now ccc.exe in resource monitor shows 77.33 kb using so it must something else that uses your ram memory

Resource monitor is lying to you. It only shows you actual _actively_ used memory. Anything that is paged out but locked/reserved will not show. Try using Process Explorer from sysinternals. It will show you that it using a virtual size of around 900MB. The only thing larger on that list is a VMWare instance I have running. I noticed that around 400MB of that is due to .NET assemblies btw.

Originally posted by: trutissand no way ccc it causes to booot your os that slow,remember i never shut down my pc unless there is a power outage.

I'm using a really realy old (8-10 years old) hard disk as I dual boot Linux and had no other disk remaining with sufficient free sectors. CCC loads around 118 DLLs all over your system which is rather noticeable on a slow(er) disk. FWIW, even power outages won't shut my system down due to having a nice big UPS. Gotta love the power company and their power failures happening exactly when you are working on a project.

Originally posted by: trutisstry using resource monitor maybe it shows there what is eating memory,be aware that some 3rd psrty programs like game trainers or something else after closing them are still leaking memory so you need to reboot in that case but only one trainer it did that to me it was a gta4 trainer.

Been there, done that. No I do not use cheats and/or trainers. The AI in most games cheats enough as it is, it makes me feel better that I can beat them while actually following the rules. Also, your GTA4 trainer sounds more like a virus. Trainers in general poke bytes in the target application. Closing both the trainer and the target (some run code in the target process) should close everything.

Statistics
86404 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.