Topic Title: black screen after monitor returns from stand by
Topic Summary:
Created On: 07/16/2013 03:40 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 07/16/2013 03:40 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
matizami
Peon

i installed windows 8 on my new pc who includes Shappire 7870 xt boost and monitor Samsung T220. whether i turned off the monitor manually or it turns off automatic by power saver, sometimes the monitor shows only black screen after i turn it on again. The monitor does turns on, it's light turn on, but all i get is black screen.

i run catalyst 13.6 beta

07/17/2013 07:56 AM

Author Icon
Tomorrow
Peon

The exact same issue here. Tho i have a hard time reproducing it. Last time i changed display to enter standby in 1 minute and started killing off programs one by one. When i reached RadeonProSupport.exe then after killing it my display woke up properly. Its a support service for a program called RadeonPro ( NOT affiliated with AMD/ATI ).

However bout an hour ago i had the same issue again but RadeonProSupport.exe was not running this time. So im at loss. It doesent seem to be OS specific or program specific bug. Rather my money is in drivers or the gpu core (we both are using 13.6 and Tahiti LE).

Im in Windows 7 SP1 64bit

Powercolor PCS+ MYST 7870 (Using the Tahiti LE GPU core like the Sapphire 7870 XT). I can provide dxdiag dump if nessesary.

07/17/2013 11:12 AM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

I have seen people having issues with power saving settings not bring the GPU back to life. 

I would search the forum for this. There are articles out there covering what to do.

I don't allow my system to go to sleep ever, and only the monitor shuts off after 45 mins.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

07/17/2013 11:37 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

I go even further...  I just manually shut monitor off.  It is effort-less to reach across the desk and hit the little button    Zero power saving settings here!

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

07/17/2013 02:15 PM

Author Icon
Tomorrow
Peon

Originally posted by: WMudrockJr I have seen people having issues with power saving settings not bring the GPU back to life. 

I would search the forum for this. There are articles out there covering what to do.

I don't allow my system to go to sleep ever, and only the monitor shuts off after 45 mins.

I always use maximum performance in windows power settings. Everything is configured not to suspend/standby. With the exeption of monitor that normally has 15 minutes until it goes to standby mode.

07/17/2013 02:18 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: Tomorrow
Originally posted by: WMudrockJr I have seen people having issues with power saving settings not bring the GPU back to life. 

I always use maximum performance in windows power settings. Everything is configured not to suspend/standby. With the exeption of monitor that normally has 15 minutes until it goes to standby mode.

Have you looked at the 'advanced options' in power settings?

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

07/17/2013 02:29 PM

Author Icon
matizami
Peon

Have you looked at the 'advanced options' in power settings?

yes. i have the same settings (exept i checked the turn off display of course)

07/21/2013 06:55 AM

Author Icon
webbiegareth
Peon

I'm having this same issue - I don't use sleep mode, I have my monitors (twin 24" set to enter power saving mode after 10 minutes).

If I move the mouse to wake up the screens, randomly it won't work - the backlight comes on but there's no image. If I hit ctrl-alt-delete, suddenly Windows appears again! (then I just hit the ESC key to get out of the window manager and back to the desktop).

This is an AMD 7850 with the 13.4 driver.

But... my daughter's computer has an AMD 6850 with the same 13.4 driver... and it has no issues. It's only happening on my own machine with the 7850 card.

EDIT - I don't want to turn off power savings mode (i.e. I don't want to run my CPU at 100% all all the time), I like having a computer that doesn't use much power. This is a driver issue that used to work fine before, and still does on my 6850 machine.

07/23/2013 10:37 PM

Author Icon
totesmuhgoats
Peon

Your problem sounds similar to one that I was experiencing

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=166491&enterthread=y

07/25/2013 11:29 PM

Author Icon
MartinusV2
Peon

I have driver 13.4 and Amd 7980 and have the issue.

08/05/2013 01:20 PM

Author Icon
Tomorrow
Peon

Problem still exists with 13.8 Beta drivers.

08/05/2013 03:24 PM

Author Icon
RQuallsJR
Nerfed

Same problem here also useing a asus hd7770 2 gig card. I also use the ctrl-alt-delete then esc to return to   desk top.

Gigabyte MA790FXT-UD5P
AMD Phnome 2x4 955 Black 3.6GHz (O.C)
G.Skill 16Gig (4x4Gig)DDR3 1333 Dual ch.F3-10666CL7Q RIPJAWS-X
Asus 7770 2GIG 128Bit DDR5
CORSAIR 850tx 850Watt Power Supply
Cooler Master HAF932 ATX Case
Cooler Master V8 CPU cooler
Samsung DVD Burner Sata W/DL/lightscribe
Pioneer DVD burner USB W/DL/Lightscribe
2-WD 250 Gig HD
1-Hitachi 1 TETRABYTE HD
Windows 7 Home Premium 64Bit

08/23/2013 11:24 AM

Author Icon
Tomorrow
Peon

Ok i "may" have solved the mystery. Atleast on my machine. Will keep a close eye on this for next couple of days to see if this is a permanent fix. Here is what i want you to do so please let us know if this worked for you:

1. Rightclick on empty taskbar area or clock on taskbar (if taskbar full) and select "Start Task Manager".

2. Check under Processes tab if the following processes are running:

atieclxx.exe

atiesrxx.exe

3. If YES then likely your blackscreen issue might be of different nature but keep reading anyway. If NO then keep reading:

4. Press Windows Key & R. Type in services.msc

5. In the opened window doubleclick "AMD External Events Utility". Should be 3rd on the list or very near the top.

6. Change Startup type to Automatic and press Start. Click ok to close the dialog and X to close the window.

7. Check back into Task Manager if the 2 processes mentioned above are now running. If YES then change monitor timeout to 1 minute and test 3 times to see if monitor wakes on each of those times with both keyboard and mouse presses.

8. If NO or you got an error message when trying to start the mentioned service then you need to reinstall catalyst drivers. This service is installed regardless of CCC so installing or not installing CCC does not matter.

Working Theory: By description this service seems to have something to do with CCC and keyboard shortcuts but thats clearly not the full extent of its functions. Wich could explain the fact that when you have this disabled or not running then keypresses are not correctly registered during monitor timeout (when ZeroCore is active?) and thus a more substandial display refresh is required to wake the monitor (CTRL+ALT+DEL). I also noticed my display quickly blinked when i enabled this service so it defenetly has more to do with the display then the description would suggest.

Then i disabled this again and sure enough when i tried to wake the display with a mause it woke up correctly but when i tried to wake with a keyboard i got a black screen and even moving the mouse didnt help at this point.

08/24/2013 06:04 AM

Author Icon
Tomorrow
Peon

Confirmed. Re-Enabling this service fixed my black screen issue. Clearly more functions are added to this service now so disabling it may not be as problem free as it was before.

08/25/2013 10:32 AM

Author Icon
Tohtori
Peon

Hi people.  I too have this problem with my brand new Gigabyte 7970 where monitor doesn't get videosignal at all when computer wakes from sleep.

Only solution I have found is using 13.4 WHQL drivers.

Uninstall CCC and AMD HDMI audio driver.

Now your computer works perfectly.

08/28/2013 12:46 PM

Author Icon
Tohtori
Peon

UPDATE:

I think I managed to get latest drivers working with everything installed but man what a hassle it was.

The culprit seems to be windows storing drivers from old devices that haunt your registry. Microsoft obviously wants you to install new windows everytime you touch hardware.

METHOD for win7:

1. Hit windowsbutton + break to open system view in control panel.
2. go to advanced system settings.
3. select enviroment variables.
4. add new system variable named: DEVMGR_SHOW_NONPRESENT_DEVICES and give it a value of 1.
5. select ok a few times to apply changes. (can't remember if I had to reboot here to make this stick.)
6. open device manager.
7. from view menu select show hidden devices.
8. from display adapters menu remove everything except currently active device, remove drivers too.
9. use AMD cleanup util or some other kind of driver shredder. (AMD support site)
10. reboot and install new drivers.
11. test and pray what ever power you believe in that it works, worked so far for me.

Sheesh.

Statistics
85795 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 9 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.