Topic Title: HELP NEEDED! Driver causing Windows 7 to freeze.
Topic Summary: Random restarts and general weirdness after installing new drivers..
Created On: 08/03/2013 12:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/03/2013 12:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Helius81
Peon

So I guess I’ll start at the beginning.  A few months ago, I decided to upgrade my HP system (HPE-112y) to get some better performance out of it.  Because the motherboard is badly dated, I was a little limited on what I could install.  I replaced the CPU, GPU, PSU, and upgraded the RAM (see below for specs).  The system was completely stable… no issues with crashes or errors.  The only issue I noticed were some black boxes surrounding the flames while playing Skyrim.  A quick internet search lead me to the solution of downloading the latest drivers, and since the CD and ATI CCC which came with the card were a few years old (I’m assuming the card was a little dated, though new in package), I didn’t think anything of it.  I did read somewhere that ATI CCC is for systems that utilize a separate processor for graphics, which makes sense since it came with my card.   

After downloading AMD Vision and the new drivers, the issue with the flames on Skyrim was fixed, but my computer started acting strange.  Windows restarts randomly and without warning.  While using the internet, especially when I have a lot of windows running, my pc freezes.  It also freezes when returning from sleep mode (this happens 80% of the time). 

I checked my advanced performance settings and got two warnings.  1. That my performance would improve if I lowered windows visual effects (not necessary since my graphic performance seems fine).  2. That a graphic driver was conflicting with windows sleep mode (I didn’t note the driver name and I only saw this message 1 time).

Checking the log shows multiple warnings for a driver named AMDKMDAP ver. 8.14.01.6150.  I’m not sure if this is a new driver, or possibly one of the old drivers which may be causing a conflict.  I did not delete any of the old drivers before installing the new as I assumed it would just update and work.  Maybe that was naïve.   

So I’m at a complete loss here and this issue is well beyond my level of technical expertise.  Does anyone have any advice on a course of action that will stop my system from crashing?     

Thanks in advance.

Here’s my specs…

Graphics Card
- Gigabyte AMD Radeon HD 6850 1GB DDR5

Original card – ATI Radeon HD 4350

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- Catalyst Version 13.4

-12.104-130328a-157485C-ATI

Operating System
- Windows 7 64-bit; Service Pack 1

Issue Details
- Random Windows restarts
- Freezes when browsing internet with multiple windows open
- Freezes when returning from sleep mode

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- Foxconn H-RS880-uATX (Aloe)

Power Supply
- Corsair CX-500
-
http://www.corsair.com/builder-series-cx500.html

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- Samsung SyncMaster

CPU Details
- AMD Phenom II x4 965  3.4gHz  125W
- No overclocking

Motherboard BIOS Version
- American Megatrends Inc. 5.05    10/26/2009

System Memory Type & Amount
Kingston RAM 8 GB Kit (2x4 GB Modules) 1333MHz DDR3 Non-ECC CL9 DIMM Desktop Memory KVR1333D3N9K2/8G

Additional Hardware
- 1 case fan

Additional Details
- No viruses or malware 

Edited: 08/03/2013 at 12:32 AM by Helius81
 08/03/2013 01:19 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Dungeon Master

Originally posted by: Helius81Does anyone have any advice on a course of action that will stop my system from crashing?

Using old OEM motherboards and new retail video cards can be problematic. There may be compatibility issues. I suggest you contact HP support and ask for assistance. However, they will most certainly lie to you as companies never admit failure unless it brings them profit.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3250MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 850/1150MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 7 Pro x64

CPU: Pentium 4 Northwood S478 @ 3200MHz | RAM: 1,5GB DDR 400| MoBo: Gigabyte GA-8S661FXMP-RZ | GPU: ASUS Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB | Display: Dimarson 19" CRT | PSU: Noname 400W | OS: changing twice every week...

08/03/2013 02:28 AM

Author Icon
Helius81
Peon

And here I thought I did all my research!  I bought the card after reading a few forums for the best GPU for that motherboard... did the same for the CPU.  I'll have to look into it.  Thanks 

08/03/2013 02:29 AM

Author Icon
Helius81
Peon

Is it common for these issues to not surface immediately?  Everything was fine for a few weeks before I updated the drivers.

Statistics
80979 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.