Topic Title: Issue installing catalyst drivers and control center
Topic Summary: N/A
Created On: 08/03/2013 09:06 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/03/2013 09:06 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Drifterdude
Peon

Graphics Card
MSI Radeon HD6570 with no overclocking

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
13.4 along with 13.6 beta also have tried 13.1 legacy

Operating System

Windows 8 Enterprise N x64 with media center pack added

Issue Details
Upon install of the card the computer boots fine and loads a default AMD driver from windows that works perfect but is not compatable with control center.  So from here I attempt to install the proper display driver from AMD along with control center so that I can push a bit of overclock.  I have got the drivers from AMD support site and also from the disk that came with the card. Issue is the same with both.  During install the screen will flash black as it should during display driver install. Once this is done it does not come back up at all. Also in some cases it does come back up and completes install. Either way once done I go to close the install by hitting finish and as it begains to close it locks up. If it does close the system locks when loading the charm bar on the right.  I can restart using the power button and it comes up to the login for windows. I log in and as it animates its way to Metro it locks.  I can restore and it works fine and fails to work on install over and over.  It  is a LG 23 inch monitor connected through DVI with no adapters or extension sections.  I had the card working before and went through all this headache last time and it just suddenly worked. I had to reinstall windows due to the july windows updates killing my system.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
it is a eMachine EL1358G-51W.

Power Supply
It is a Athena 350 Watt unit. Brand new

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
LG 23inch flatron LED monitor connected via a DVI cable with no adapters or extensions.

Applications and Games
none just install and general functionality of windows

CPU Details
Athalon II X2 220 2.8GHz

Motherboard BIOS Version
unsure

System Memory Type & Amount
4gig DDR3 Brand type I cant remember at the moment

Additional Hardware
no additional hard ware that it did not come with.

Additional Details
fresh windows install. Was working before July rounds of windows updates. Failed to work after updates corrupted boot. Had this issue before when it was working during initial install and it randomly started working and was working for about 5 months now.  Default driver windows installs for AMD 6570HD works fine with proper resolution and functionality at 1920x1080 even during game play but I want the control center/vision engine to overclock a bit.  check disk shows hard drive is in perfect shape.  anti virus and firewall disabled during all install atempts. all atempts have been run as admin.  It so severe that half the time I can not get past the log in to windows before the animations lock up. Issue has to be in the drivers or control center as default drivers work with no issues and the card can be pushed with no issue on the default drivers at full resolution in HD. Card has never been run hot temps rarely exceed 55C. Card has never had a artifact issue or crash. 

Also tried doing install in safe mode with networking and get a error from the installer stating that it failed to automaticly detect hardware. This is only in safe mode.

Edited: 08/03/2013 at 10:15 AM by Drifterdude
 08/03/2013 10:35 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Drifterdude eMachine EL1358G-51W

It has a long dead nforce chipset, doesn't it? You should talkt to nvidia about the issue and ask about compatibility with recent cards, especially with recent AMD cards. Maybe they know something.

In the meantime, I'd also try the card in another computer to make sure it's not the card itself causing the issue. Prefer one that has a newer chipset from AMD or Intel, maybe VIA.

Note: Your PSU is too weak, you risk setting the house on fire. It can also be the source of your issues, but I don't really think so, it's just what people usually say.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

08/03/2013 12:04 PM

Author Icon
Drifterdude
Peon

I will try another computer when I can get ahold of one to try on.

The PSU is less than the 400reccomended but from experiance AMD always over states the requirements needed. Considering the original PSU to this computer before I put in the athena and the actual useage of the GPU along with the efficency of the PSU it should be fine. Before the crash from the updates I could running a 3D benchmark fully overclocked on the GPU the PSU was just starting to sweat. I researched the hell out of info on actual pull of the GPU along with output of the PSU before buying the combo.

I think your onto it with the chipset though. The PC itself is not more than 1.5 years old as well so its nothing old but it was a cheap system all I could buy at the time.  I will try to get ahold of Nvidia today when I get off work just to ask. I also plan on going into safe mode run driver sweaper and put the system back on the onboard crap. Then from there restart the whole install again.  I know last time it was a PITA but once working was flawless. Ill update tonight with what I get.

what gets me though with the default AMD licesned driver that 8 puts in the card works fine. runs benchmarks fine I just cant OC it.  I need the catalyst drivers and thats where things act up.  I would think if stress test and benchmarks are running and the card is working at full resolution 1920x1080 that the card itself is fine when. I can let it stress for 30 mintues and push the temp up on it to 55-60 range if I tried hard enough and it just eats it up like nothing.  I hop on minecraft to see how well it stresses in game play with everything on fancy and it plays great at 60FPS (locked to monitor refresh rate settings) the card itself works great under all loads untill trying to install catalyst its only the driver install it seems.

Edited: 08/03/2013 at 12:16 PM by Drifterdude
 08/04/2013 12:52 PM

Author Icon
Drifterdude
Peon

Just an update. Nvidia states not their problem and wont even answer me on the subject.  Emachines states that they dont show a known issue....

I did get the display driver working correctly now and Afterburner allows me to OC the card to 875 mem clock but I still cant get the control center installed without it locking everything up on boot.  I would prefer the control center cause I can push up to 1k on the mem clock and would like to tinker a bit more than afterburner. Also with the control center I can play with my open GL settings which I need. 

08/04/2013 05:03 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Here's what I'd try, the whole process requires a few hours at least:

Test #1:

1. Make a temp partition, make it active, hide all the others.
  2. Install Clean W8 into the partition.
  3. Install all updates from Windows Update, except for drivers, which should all be hidden and disabled.
  4. Don't install chipset drivers at all.
  5. Install the latest drivers for your sound card, video card etc. See if CCC works.

Test #2:

1. Format the temp partition.
  2. Install clean W8 again.
  3. Same as before, all windows updates except for drivers.
  4. Install the latest nForce drivers nvidia offers on their website.
  5. Latest drivers for sound card, video card etc. Same as before. See if CCC works.

Test #3: Same as Test #2, but use the chipset drivers listed on the website of the manufacturer of the motherboard!

Test #4, Test #5, Test #6: Same as the previous three, but use Windows 7 this time.

After you finished, you can delete the temp partition, unhide your existing ones and reactivate the one that was active at the start. Your system will be completely unchanged.

I wonder if CCC locks the computer up in all 6 cases.

Note: Use Catalyst 13.8 beta for the tests. That's the latest one right now.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

08/04/2013 05:28 PM

Author Icon
Drifterdude
Peon

ill give that a shot should take 2-3 hours to do.  OEM of the machine does not have drivers out for 8 so they will have to come from the device OEM sites.  Ill get back to you after all this sometime in the next day or 2 since im working again.

Statistics
85330 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.