Topic Title: CCC and Display Resolutions
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/15/2013 07:49 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/15/2013 07:49 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pet
Peon

Hello,

I have been using CCC with an "All in Wonder HD" card for about 4 years now.  The PC run 64-bit Vista and then was upgraded to 64-bit windows 7.  A had a  1920x1200 (16x10) monitor and a 1920x1080 (16x9) TV connected to the PC/card.  The TV was connected through and HDMI cable.  The TV screen was a duplicate of the monitor screen.

For a long time (3 years or so) I was not updating/touching the CCC and it worked exactly as I wanted it to.  In particular it would do the following automatically:

1. When I would turn on the TV the HDMI audio device would pop up and become the default audio device meaning I did not need to configure anything or, really do anything, it would happen automatically.  Also, the resolution of the monitor would get adjusted from 1920x1200 to 1920x1080 (also automatically) - this would give me two black bars on the screen: one on the top and one on the bottom

2. When I would turn the TV off the monitor resolution would automatically revert back to 1920x1200 and the audio device would revert back to the speakers.

It was nice and easy but about a month ago I moved the PC to a different location in the house, connected it to a different TV (also using an HDMI cable) and in the process the CCC lost it and I had to reinstall the latest version of CCC.  With the new version I have to do everything manually:

1.  When the TV is turned on nothing happens automatically.  The TV screen is blank and the HDMI audio device is not even there.  I have to open CCC and "duplicate" the TV to get the video and audio on the TV.  Then I have open the audio device window and set the AMD HDMI audio device to be the default device.

2. When the TV is turned off both the monitor resolution stays at 1920/1080 and the default audio device is still AMD HDMI audio.  I have to do the following manually: open CCC and disable the TV, then adjust the resolution back to 1920/1200.

What am I missing?  What happened to the behavior when everything would adjust automatically?  No TV means no HDMI audio device and no need to duplicate and no need to keep the monitor at the 1920x1080 resolution.  I do not remember how I had CCC configured 3 years ago so I do not know if I am missing some configuration (I cannot find anything relevant) or if AMD took some REALLY GOOD functionality out.  

I call the AMD tech support.  First the tech support fellow sound like he really wanted to get rid of me and then he hung up on me (or at least it really looked like he hung up on me).  I called again and got the same fellow.  This time I asked for his name and the ticket number so now he would have to suffer and try to help me.  After a bit of going back and forth he told me that in the current version of CCC there is no way to have such audio device and resolution switching done automatically.  He had hard time believing me that I worked for me for 3 years.  Finally he mentioned that maybe it was part of what was called "the theater mode" which, he added, was not available any more in the latest CCC.

Can anyone help me with this?  I do not fully trust this AMD support person and I am having hard time believing that as useful a feature as this one would be removed. 

Please comment or point me towards a solution.  I have kind of heard about third party products doing the automatic audio device/resolution switching but could not find anything on the web.

Thanks in advance,
 Pet

08/15/2013 08:09 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Here are previous drivers...going back to 2009. Take your pick.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

08/15/2013 09:05 PM

Author Icon
pet
Peon

But what should I be looking for in the previous dirvers...?

08/15/2013 09:38 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

You said you 'lost' the CCC. You said you don't like the new driver suites. You said the drivers from 3 years ago worked the way you wanted. Install the suite from 2009 or whatever/whichever acts the way you want it to. Then don't lose them again.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *AMD R9 290 4gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit 

***** cetera fallunt, ludere mortuus ******

08/16/2013 10:02 AM

Author Icon
pet
Peon

Hello Stumped,

While I appreciate your comments they are not exactly what I am after.   Yes I had to upgrade CCC and yes I do not know the version of the CCC I had before.  Problem is I am not sure if the issue is the version of the CCC.  And if it were to be the CCC version then I still would not know for sure whether the solution is in the "theater mode" option or not.  Maybe it is something else.  So far nobody commented on why it worked in the past and does not work now.  Nobody commented if it is working or used to work and what settings are needed to make it work.  Hopefully someone will share his/her experience in this area.

I am not so eager to spend hours and hours on installing and removing various versions of CCC (it takes about 45-60 minutes to remove CCC and install a new one) not knowing which version I need and if it even would work.  

I am looking for someone to comment that yes I had or have the same problem I installed or use CCC version such and such, set such and such option(s) and it works for me. 

Frankly I would expect the AMD support people to spell out exactly how it works and which CCC version and options to use but so far they told me to try differnet CCC versions and play with different options and see if I can get it to work which is, I am sure you'd agree, a rather open ended approach.

08/16/2013 11:05 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

You're saying you changed the TV as well as CCC. Try the new CCC with the old TV and see if it works. If it does, your new TV is the issue.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

08/16/2013 11:24 AM

Author Icon
pet
Peon

Thank you Eydee, it is a good suggestion.  Logistically, however, a bit hard for me to try as both TVs are big and mounted so I'd have to move the PC.  The PC on the other hand is "embedded" with all the cables, monitor, etc., into a desk which makes it difficult to move.  I'll wait to see if someone has some more direct comments and if not I may try what you suggested. 

08/16/2013 01:46 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: pet Thank you Eydee, it is a good suggestion.  Logistically, however, a bit hard for me to try as both TVs are big and mounted so I'd have to move the PC.  The PC on the other hand is "embedded" with all the cables, monitor, etc., into a desk which makes it difficult to move.  I'll wait to see if someone has some more direct comments and if not I may try what you suggested. 

In the meantime, see if the TV has multiple HDMI ports and try them all. Also check its menu and documentation, maybe its plug-and-play feature can be turned off or something.

Still just guessing it's the TV's fault, it can be something else too.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

08/18/2013 03:38 AM

Author Icon
osv1
Peon

have you tried plugging the computer into the first tv, where it was working before? that would be helpful in telling you if it's the second tv or the computer.also look at the hdmi settings on the tv.
 08/18/2013 12:46 PM

Author Icon
pet
Peon

Hello!  As I said it before it is somewhat difficult for me to move the PC and the TVs.  My two main questions are still unanswered though.  They are:

1. Does CCC support such automated switching and if so in which version(s)?

2. Does anyone use it in this mode and if so, again which version of CCC do you have/use?

Can you please answer the question(s) above?  This will help me decide how to approach the problem.

BTW my new Dell PC with an NVIDIA card and NVIDIA contrl center works exactly as I described it (fully automatic) so I hope CCC can do it too (I am sure it used to).

08/18/2013 01:52 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: pet Hello!  As I said it before it is somewhat difficult for me to move the PC and the TVs.  My two main questions are still unanswered though.  They are:

1. Does CCC support such automated switching and if so in which version(s)?

2. Does anyone use it in this mode and if so, again which version of CCC do you have/use?

Can you please answer the question(s) above?  This will help me decide how to approach the problem.

BTW my new Dell PC with an NVIDIA card and NVIDIA contrl center works exactly as I described it (fully automatic) so I hope CCC can do it too (I am sure it used to).

I assume it's supported as you say you used it like that. Hope you weren't hallucinating. Never trust what support personnel says, they usually don't know what they're talking about. (In any company.)

However, I've never seen anyone using it like that. This is not surprising, most people have 1 single display.

An idea: Open the device manager and take a look at the "monitors" section. What do you have there?

08/18/2013 02:18 PM

Author Icon
pet
Peon

In my Device Manager -> Moniters section I see the following:

- Dell 2407WFP (Digital

- Generic PnP Monitor

This does not depend on whether the TV is on or off, i.e., it does not change with the TV being on or off.

Statistics
88940 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.