Topic Title: System Crash - (in)consistent blue screens
Topic Summary:
Created On: 08/18/2013 05:10 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/18/2013 05:10 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
nzcoward
Peon

Every now and again my system will blue screen and crash. There is a reference to atikmpag.sys (note, this is not atikmdag.sys and other posts regarding system issues and display 'restarts' are not relevant to my issue). Another symptom appears to be all videos playing with no picture, but instead a green box. There is no guarantee that a crash will happen when the videos all start playing with a green box, but it always has occurred before a crash; sometimes hours, sometimes weeks before. Note, ALL videos play this way: browser(s), the windows 8 media player. The one exception to this is low res videos on YouTube. I assume this is to do with no video acceleration, but I have no idea why this could be. I have a Radeon HD 7970 and am running Windows 8 Pro 64bit. I am using the latest Catalyst Suite - 13.4 with the latest display drivers.I have tried various suggestions across the net for atikmdag and atikmpag issues, but none have been successful.I'm not really all that techy, so unable to provide much more information without a bit of guidance, so I ask you, the support community about where to try next (or for some ideas for issues).Thanks in advance!Jono
 08/18/2013 05:29 AM

Author Icon
nzcoward
Peon

Oh, and it appears as thought the issue reporting tool linked on amd's driver download page isn't working. The survey is apparently now closed...
 08/18/2013 08:36 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Stack Smasher

Originally posted by: nzcoward Oh, and it appears as thought the issue reporting tool linked on amd's driver download page isn't working. The survey is apparently now closed...

No..the issue reporting form is at the bottom of the driver download page. If you have a issue with that driver, you report the issue.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit *Gateway HD2401 24" 2ms 1920x1200  ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit  

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

08/18/2013 07:41 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Dungeon Master

You should try the card in another computer and RMA it, if it shows the same symptoms. If not, it's time to check out compatibility issues with your motherboard.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3250MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 850/1150MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 7 Pro x64

CPU: Pentium 4 Northwood S478 @ 3200MHz | RAM: 1,5GB DDR 400| MoBo: Gigabyte GA-8S661FXMP-RZ | GPU: ASUS Radeon X1650 Pro 256MB | Display: Dimarson 19" CRT | PSU: Noname 400W | OS: changing twice every week...

08/19/2013 03:41 AM

Author Icon
nzcoward
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped
Originally posted by: nzcoward Oh, and it appears as thought the issue reporting tool linked on amd's driver download page isn't working. The survey is apparently now closed...

No..the issue reporting form is at the bottom of the driver download page. If you have a issue with that driver, you report the issue.

Sure... I see no form at the bottom of a driver download page I've been to. But from either of the pages I have gone to get the drivers, there is a link to the: AMD Issues Reporting Form. This redirects to a survey page that isn't working - so I am guessing they are using a survey tool to build the custom form. Unless there is some other page I should be getting the driver from - I'm just getting the CSS rather that the driver individually (my assumption was that it was a solid piece of software to maintain the drivers - although it's proven me wrong...)

The link to the Beta Reporting Form works, however I'm not using the 13.8 CSS.

08/19/2013 03:44 AM

Author Icon
nzcoward
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee You should try the card in another computer and RMA it, if it shows the same symptoms. If not, it's time to check out compatibility issues with your motherboard.

Thanks, I'll give it a go. I don't have another mobo around that will run the card, so I might just take it in to where I got it and give it a go. I relied on them to give me advice on which parts to get - so I HOPE they didn't advise parts that weren't compatible

I guess I could always try with a different OS as well. I haven't gone that far yet.

08/26/2013 10:28 PM

Author Icon
teletubie
Peon

I have the same problem after reinstall my os, but in my case i have windows 7

Try this: go to run, msconfig, startup and uncheck the startccc

Statistics
80912 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.