Topic Title: Can't Install Software (Drivers, CCC, etc.)
Topic Summary: Says it installed with warning messages, but I can't see either the install nor the messages.
Created On: 08/21/2013 09:23 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/21/2013 09:23 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
joykiddo
Peon

First of all I would like to thank in advance for the help. I'm in a dead end and I'm not sure what to do anymore to fix this problem. It is kind of a long story, so I will try to shorten it and provide as much information as possible at the same time.

I have built a new gaming desktop. The specs are as follows:

Motherboard: Asus z87-k
CPU: Intel i7-4770S  @ 3.10Ghz
RAM: 16GB
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon HD 7850

(I don't think the rest is relevant, such as the hard drives and DVD readers, but let me know if you need them);

So after putting everything together, booting it up and installing Windows 7(64-bit), I inserted the CD that came with the motherboard to install whatever was necessary.

Then I did the same for the Graphics Card. However it installed out-of-date drivers and CCC (I believe CCC was version 12.8, I don't remember the graphics drivers.) Everything seemed fine, however outdated.

However, when I tried playing Alone in the Dark, or Alan Wake, what happened was that although the menu was fine, after a few seconds into the game, it started freezing/crashing/running really really slow. In Alone in the Dark, it even showed me the Blue Screen of Death (I should mention that I do not remember what the message said). In both cases, some weird Blue/Green/Red colors showed up on the bottom right corner of the screen.

So after figuring out (or at least assuming) it wasn't a memory nor a power source problem, I traced it to a drivers problem. My CCC and drivers were still outdated.

Now here is where things get complicated. Before I played these games, before I even installed anything in this computer, the first thing I did was update CCC through itself (going to the information->update software option in the menu). I thought it had worked, apparently it didn't. So I tried again.

What happens, and keep in mind this is reproduceable again and again, is that I try to install the latest drivers, and in the end it says "Installation completed, however some warning messages occurred" or something like that, next to a yellow interrogation mark inside a circle. I clicked on "view log" and there were no error or warnings at all. When I went to see the target folder where the installation supposedly ocurred, there was nothing in it. In the end of the installation, it also didn't ask me to reboot either.

From there, I've tried several things...
- Uninstalling with AMD software, then reinstalling;
- Uninstalling manually, then reinstalling;
- Uninstalling and running Driver Fusion, hand-picking in register, etc;
- Rebooting in between troubleshooting procedures to make sure uninstalls and installs were "solid"
- Tried installing .NET Framework v4.5 (it wasn't installed before) then installing the AMD software, and still didn't work. Again, I rebooted after installing .NET Framework, and before I tried to re-install the software. 

So at this point I'm running on default windows Drivers.

This problem occurs over and over again. So after this I tried to install again the way I did originally: The out-of-date drivers that came with the Graphics card's CD. This didn't work either! Which doesn't make sense as it worked before!

So my last resort is to just format the computer and install windows all over again, and install the updated drivers from the start (and maybe .NET Framekwork v4.5 before that, since I read that it is needed for CCC versions 12.9 and above), but before that, I needed to post this here. I'm really sorry if this has been answered before but I can't find the solution anywhere. If you could help me I would be forever grateful.

Best regards,

JoyKiddo 

08/22/2013 01:52 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

No driver issue here, you just got a faulty card. RMA it and get another one.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

08/22/2013 03:51 AM

Author Icon
joykiddo
Peon

Good morning, and thanks for the quick reply.

I'm sorry, I forgot to mention that I sucessfully played other games before. From my original post I made it seem like Alan Wake and Alone in the Dark were the only games I tried, but they weren't. I played other games sucessfully like The Lost Crown: a ghost hunting adventure with no problems (so far, anyway...)

So, can you be sure it is a faulty card? May I ask what makes you think so? It just seems odd it worked before and now it hasn't...

Thanks for your time

08/22/2013 05:24 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: joykiddo So, can you be sure it is a faulty card? May I ask what makes you think so?

Because a working system never crashes. I mean, literally never. If you have BSODs, you have a faulty hardware or a very strange configuration (like CF, multi monitor etc.) the drivers are not always prepared for.

You seem to have a fairly regular config which works for other thousands of people fine. The chance of having a faulty hardware is very high here.

Also don't forget where and how (by whom) hardware is manufactured these days. There are a lot of faulty parts no matter if it's a video card or HDD, nvidia or Creative...

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

09/18/2013 12:17 PM

Author Icon
joykiddo
Peon

So I sent back both the graphics card and the motherboard (it seemed a little faulty as well, lucky me) and got new ones. The graphics card is the same, only difference is that it used to be by VTX, and now I have a sapphire one.

My motherboard also remained the same, altough now it's from gygabite, GA-Z87-HD3.

Altough the last graphics card WAS faulty (we ran GPU-Z and confirmed this) I'd like to believe my newest one isn't.

The problem remains. I can't install CCC or anything else. In the end it shows "installation complete but with warning messages" but the log displays nothing. It also didn't install anything. So I can't even test the GPU with GPU-Z, but again, I'd like to believe it's not faulty as well.

Could this be a software problem on AMD's side? I have no idea what else to try. I even tried installing beta and older versions and nothing seems to work.

Again, I tried everything that I mentioned in the first post, altough I haven't even tried installing any game yet.

This time I even used CCleaner to clean the registry and using AMD's software to uninstall everything.

The auto-detect application detects everything just fine. It just can't install anything.

Please help.

Regards,

Joykiddo

09/19/2013 05:26 PM

Author Icon
joykiddo
Peon

Stopped by to update this.

My friend and I managed to fix this. We think the problem was compatibility issues with the motherboard drivers. Installing the graphics card drivers BEFORE the motherboard drivers made it work just fine. We believe maybe it was conflict with the onboard graphics controller and the graphic card's.

Anyway, fixed, updated, and works just fine. Also managed to run GPU-Z and the games mentioned before with no issues just fine.

Thanks for the help. 

Regards,

JoyKiddo 

09/20/2013 11:23 AM

Author Icon
robkarp
Nerfed

If you are not using the on-chip graphics controller then I would suggest diabling it in the BIOS so you don't encounter the problem again should you ever decide to update your AMD video drivers.

Rampage IV Formula; 3930K @ 4.4GHz; 16Gb Corsair Vengeance RAM @ 1866; Sapphire HD 7970 x2; Corsair AX1200 PSU
Statistics
84262 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.