Topic Title: Missing monitor, where did it go?
Topic Summary: WQHD monitor missing under Catalyst
Created On: 08/23/2013 09:19 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 08/23/2013 09:19 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
QQBoss
Peon

Short version: Why would a WQHD monitor that worked under 13.3 and 13.4 disappear under beta 13.8, and still be missing after reinstalling 13.4, but be visible to the system before the driver starts operation (BIOS and start of windows boot) or with the driver completely uninstalled?

Long version:

My setup:

ASRock Extreme4/Gen3 w/ i5-2500K

on-board video driving a Sharp TV at 1080p

HIS 7870 ICEQ driving a WXGA+ Dell (DVI) and WQHD HKC T7000 (HDMI) as my primary

System has been working perfectly for over 6 months, first with 13.3 and Windows 7 and then 13.4 and Windows 8, with the HKC monitor being driven at 2560x1440@60Hz.  The HKC monitor fully supports HDMI 1.4 and Displayport 1.2.

I decided to upgrade to beta 13.8 and when the driver installed my HKC monitor disappeared.  The Dell and Sharp continued working, but the HKC showed no video input.  Checking Device Manager, the HKC monitor was no longer visible to Windows.

Rebooting my computer, the HKC worked fine through BIOS and the start of Windows, but before getting to the Windows 8 lock screen, the monitor stops being driven and the Sharp becomes my primary.

Removing the driver and rolling back to 13.4 did not help, the HKC monitor still disappears as soon as the Catalyst software loads the video driver. Uninstalling the video driver allows the HKC monitor to be seen by Windows as plugged into the 7870 HDMI port- both the HKC and Sharp show up as Generic PnP monitors, though the Dell is still seen as a E198WFP(Digital).

I thought for sure this was the HDMI port being disabled and I just needed to find a bit to flip in a config somewhere, but as a test, under both 13.4 and 13.8, plugging the Sharp into the 7870 HDMI port works fine, even while the HKC is plugged into the on-board video (though the i5-2500K apparently can't drive beyond 1920x1080), thus the HDMI port isn't being disabled, it is just refusing to acknowledge the existance of my HKC.

As a test, I plan to get a DisplayPort cable and see if that works.  Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated, though.  I have never tested this monitor for whether or not it could be overclocked beyond 60Hz and would like to test that ability with beta 13.8.

08/23/2013 09:39 PM

Author Icon
Canis-X
Forum Moderator

Try unistalling CCC completely and then run a driver cleaner program such as Driver Fusion or AMD's version to clean up what was left behind while running in safe mode.  Then install 13.8 again and see if the issue is resolved.

-------------------------

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.
Requiescat In Pace AMD Processor Forums | Member since: 1/19/2009 | Post count:
Please don't PM me with questions, instead create a thread so that everyone can assist and benefit from the knowledge provided. Thanks in advance!

08/23/2013 10:45 PM

Author Icon
QQBoss
Peon

Ok, I completely uninstalled CCC and ran Driver Fusion in safe mode to remove what remained.   It told me there was something that couldn't be uninstalled without paying, but not what that something was.  I then rebooted back to normal mode.

After rebooting, my HKC would only work at 1024x768 and in mirror mode with my Dell on the same card, though my Sharp plugged into the onboard video was acting normally as an extended desktop.  When I tried to increase my resolution to 1440x900 or 1280x1024, the HKC stopped working, and putting it back to 1024x768 made it work again.  At this point I am now worse off than I was prior to using Driver Fusion.

Reinstalling 13.8 disables my HKC monitor on the 7870 HDMI port as before, and as before switching my Sharp with my HKC has all three monitors working again as 3 extended desktops, though the HKC still only works at 1080p on the i5-2500K HDMI output.

Obviously something has changed, due to no longer being able to use my HKC as an extended desktop or at 2560x1440 with drivers removed, but I am hard pressed to see this as forward motion.  I will go fetch a DisplayPort cable and see if things get any better.

08/27/2013 07:28 AM

Author Icon
QQBoss
Peon

Good news, I plugged the HKC into Displayport and now it works at 2560x1440 under beta 13.8 of Catalyst, and Catalyst reports that the monitor is supposed to work up to 75 Hz (with HDMI it only reported 60Hz, when it was working previously).  Now the goal is to see if it will reach that 75Hz value.

Still doesn't explain why it used to work over HDMI, but I am satisfied adequtely that Displayport is a solution for me.

08/27/2013 07:58 AM

Author Icon
QQBoss
Peon

And the news keeps on getting better.  After using CRU to edit the frequencies visible in Windows, I was able to overclock the monitor to 75 Hz.  I was hoping for 80, but that didn't pan out.  This is just fine by me, though.  

Edited: 08/27/2013 at 08:11 AM by QQBoss
 08/27/2013 02:44 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

For a second I thought you had physically lost a monitor and couldn't find it.  Reminded me of when I lost a machine on a network.  It responded to pings but for a while I couldn't actually find the thing.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Statistics
87629 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.