Topic Title: Catalyst driver and CAP installation questions and errors during installation/uninstallation
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/07/2013 02:00 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/07/2013 02:00 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
bondonin
Peon

I'm running win7 x64, i5, 5850 and have some questions below:

1. Is the CAP bundled together with the main driver package or do I have to install CAP 13.5 separately?Can newest CAP be used for driver versions >12.1?

2. How do I uninstall the CAP when there doesn't seem to be an uninstall entry under the uninstall list of programs for catalyst 13.4 and 13.1.

3. When doing a clean install for 13.1, I got an error msg and like to know what it means:

current version not installed. AMD CIM installation package

4. Why do I get a blank screen and possibly frozen pc (using the windows key, cursor right, enter combination did not shutdown the pc) during uninstallation of catalyst drivers (several versions including 12.8 and 13.4). I had to do a hard reset to continue.

5. I noted an uninstall error where certain files were still present under the system32/syswow64 dirs after uninstallation and after running the AMD cleanup utility:

atipdl64.dll, ativmd6v.dll, amdocl_asxx.exe, amdocl_ldxx.exe, amdoclxx.dll

09/07/2013 07:46 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

1. Some CAP is always integrated (not bundled together) into the driver. The best practice is watching release dates and release notes. If there's a CAP newer than your installed driver, go ahead and install it. If you use the latest beta drivers all the time, you probably never have to install CAPs.

2. You only have an entry if you installed a separate CAP package. The bult-in CAP gets uninstalled with the drivers.

3. That's not an error message.

4. Probably you have some incompatible/misconfigured/faulty hardware.

5. The AMD (and nvidia) drivers are also integrated into the opreating system and cannot be completely removed as they're protected system files and the system file protection service will restore them. It's not a bug or issue.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

09/07/2013 08:13 PM

Author Icon
bondonin
Peon

Whats the uninstall entry name for the CAP? I do not see one after I installed the latest CAP 13.5. In fact I haven't seen it during my recent uninstall/installs.

The error message was displayed right at the end of the installation which might be misleading.

I don't think those 4 files are necessary protected system files. I think those are older pre 12.x catalyst files which the newer uninstalls don't know about and don't bother to delete.

09/08/2013 09:38 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

I can't tell you the exact entry name as I haven't installed CAPs for ages. It should be called Catalyst Application Profiles or something like that. Maybe it has AMD in front of it, I can't remember. It should be esy to find. If you don't see it, try downloading the exact same version you have installed and lauch it. It should offer an uninstall option as well as repair. If it only offers install, then install it again and try removing after.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

09/09/2013 03:58 AM

Author Icon
bondonin
Peon

After looking over things abit more, I figured out that-

1. The CAP 13.5 might not have the uninstall option because the driver 13.4 is newer and supercedes CAP 13.5.

2. I have no idea why the CAP 13.5 uninstall option didn't show up when I still had catalyst 13.1 though.

3. I manually deleted the ati* and amd* files (couldn't unregister them, so they might've been removed from the registry previously already) and didn't find some of them after installing 13.4 which probably means they were old files left there because I did not uninstall before upgrading to a newer version.
4. I uninstalled radeonpro to find out if it had anything to do with the above problems but it did not.

5. The black screen still showed up after uninstalling but I managed to shutdown correctly using hotkeys. Radeonpro was installed but not running at the time of uninstallation.

Statistics
88844 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.