Topic Title: Windows 8 BSOD with Sapphire HD 7770
Topic Summary: Win8 repeatedly bluescreens with this card, always with the same driver issue
Created On: 09/07/2013 05:11 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/07/2013 05:11 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
PrinceLucifer
Peon

Graphics Adapter: 2x Sapphire HD 7770 (both have already been replaced to rule out hardware error. I also already used different PCI-E slots, to rule out problems with the Mainboard, and actually also changed the mainboard by now... The issues stay consistent though...)

Driver Version: 12.104.0.0

Board/Power Supply: The machine is a Fujitsu Celsius M720P workstation. Don't know what they are building into this.

CPU: Intel Xeon E5-2600 8 Core + HT

Memory: 16 GB

Issue:
I have multiple issues with the system right now. The two most common ones are:
1) After the monitors come back from sleep (System is set to switch off monitors after 30 minutes, the OS itself never goes to sleep of Hibernate, it is always on.) only the primary monitor comes back up, the others stay with "No Signal". (It doesn't matter which screen is set primary, it's consistently the primary that reappears.) In the "Screen Resolution" control Panel applet only one screen is visible at that time, although in Device Manager both graphics cards and all four screens appear and are reported working normally. Hitting the "Detect" button in the "Screen Resolution" applet leads in 95% of cases to the other screens reappearing. In the remaining 5% of cases the system will BSOD at that point.
2) Sometimes after the screens come back from sleep the primary screen (again: doesn't matter which one it is, it's consistently the primary...) will show only artefacts. (2x2 mm pixels. The underlying picture is recognizable, but only if you know what to expect. It looks as if those were shuffled...) When moving the mouse over the screen it will "flip" from Artefact to normal view every few moments. Opening the "Screen Resolution" applet and hitting "Detect" will (again) in 95% of cases fix the issue. In the remainng 5% of cases it will (again) send the machine into a BSOD.

I have not tried other versions of the driver yet, only uninstalled and reinstalled the version I have here. (There is no newer one available yet, even though this one is already 6 months old...)

Just to have mentioned that: There is no overclocking in the system, neither on the board nor on the GPUs. There is no interlink between the GPUs ("Crossfire" I think the term would be...) and nothing else in the system worth mentioning. (Besides the GPUs and the RAID controller everything else is onboard...)

And to have said that again too: I have already replaced the system board and both graphics cards. I also have already reinstalled the OS from scratch twice, the problems stay consistent. I also tested running the box on only one grahics adapter. This seems to stabilize it a little bit, (right now I have at least two problems a day, with one card I had about one occurence every 3 days) but it still behaves the same way and still leads to recurring BSODs.I also tested the system with two nVidia based cards and had no issues there. (Other than the cards being f****** loud, which is why I pulled them out in the first place.)

Last thing I tested was running FurMark on the system for a prolonged time. All cards are stable, even when hammered for 2+ hours. Temperature also stays in the green in this time, so this also doesn't seem to be a thermal problem...
I can provide you with a memory dump of the box if this helps. I kept the last one, just in case.

Final sentence: I hope this posting gets in with correct formating... The last post I did ended up not having line breaks in it, which was weird, because on my screen it looked pretty ok before...

Edit: Had to reformat this in FireFox. Everytime I post via Internet Explorer the result is unformatted. FireFox seems to work better...

I would appreciate your help on this.

-------------------------
 09/08/2013 09:46 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

This really looks like bug, not an issue with your system. I'd try the latest beta drivers. They're not beta in the usual sense, they're not unfinished. They're called beta because they lack the WHQL signature.

If you have the same problem using 13.10, use the beta issue reporting form to report the issue to AMD. You can only use the standard reporting form when there is a new WHQL release.

If you need assistance (reply), you can as well contact AMD directly. You'll find info in the stickies and on the bottom of each AMD website page.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

09/08/2013 08:22 PM

Author Icon
hugh750
Peon

is this with the current catalyst 13.4 drivers?

i'm using that version with my radeon hd6570 1 gig with windows vista and i'm having no issues with it and it's a single card.

are you using single card or sli?

I'm not a noob!!:frown;

09/09/2013 12:25 PM

Author Icon
Necrochain
Peon

Originally posted by: hugh750 is this with the current catalyst 13.4 drivers?

i'm using that version with my radeon hd6570 1 gig with windows vista and i'm having no issues with it and it's a single card.

are you using single card or sli?

1. He stated 2x Sapphire 7770 (same as me ironically, only IN crossfire)

2. It's Crossfire, not SLI...

OP: I was going to suggest 13.10, but you aren't Crossfiring your cards together with a bridge. I'd like to ask why they aren't interlinked together though. This could be a key factor as to why this is an issue with you. (I use Eyefinity with Crossfire and don't have this issue.

Statistics
87473 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 0 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.