Topic Title: Some 2D applications experience problems with 13.x beta drivers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 09/17/2013 12:14 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/17/2013 12:14 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
streetwolf
Peon

All of the betas after 13.4 don't get along well with a few of my programs. The main one is Quicken for Windows 2013.

When I first start up QW if the pointer is on top of the Quicken window the busy pointer goes into hyperdrive, CPU utilization shoots up, and the screen takes long to display. Task Manager even displays QW as not responding for a few seconds. If I move the pointer off of the QW screen to the desktop all of these behaviors stop immediately. A few other QW screens will also do this.  This also happens to a few other programs but less so probably becuase they are not as intensive as QW.

I contacted AMD multiple times via their beta feedback form but as of 13.10 beta 2 it hasn't been fixed.

I'd appeciate any help on my problem.  I hate to see this happen when the official release becomes available.

Sapphire HD7970 3GB OC Edition

Windows 8.1 Pro x64 RTM

Edited: 09/17/2013 at 12:31 PM by streetwolf
 09/17/2013 12:36 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Could you list a few more of those programs? I hope there is something more common among them, so I can try if I can reproduce the issue.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

09/17/2013 01:13 PM

Author Icon
streetwolf
Peon

It seems the problems I had with my other programs no longer exist.

Quicken has always been the worst and since I use it very often it has become somewhat of a pain.  Luckily, when I get all the craziness I can stop it by moving my pointer off of the Quicken screen. Moving the pointer is even slow.

It amazes me that when I move the pointer everything clears up in a flash.  I have a dual monitor system so I have Quicken start up on my second monitor which means my pointer is on my first monitor where my Quicken shortcut is.  This produces no problems when starting Quicken since my pointer is not on the Quicken screen.  It's not a dual monitor thing as I tried it with just one monitor.

The 13.4 official drivers are fine btw.  If there is anything I can do to find out the problem let me know.  I tried using Process Monitor but I really don't know what to look for.  I can run it again and send you the capture file, perhaps you can make sense of it.

Statistics
87580 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.