Topic Title: Black Screen After Logging into Windows
Topic Summary: Black Screen (Sometimes Black with Yellow Vertical Lines). PC fine in safe mode though.
Created On: 09/17/2013 05:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/17/2013 05:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TheBigBadGRIM
Peon

Graphics Card
- XFX Radeon 6870, Model # HD-687A-ZN
- No overclocking

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
- 8.782W (came with XFX card on CD)
-13.10 (beta)

Operating System
- Microsoft Windows 7 64-bit, Build 7601, Service Pack 1

Issue Details
- I first experienced video problems two days ago while playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive (running at maximum settings at 1920x1200 but with vSync off, mouse acceleration off and raw mouse input settings on). During the game, the screen just split in two and the two halves were switch. In other words, what was on the right was now on the left side of the screen and vice versa. Then the screen turned black BUT sound was just fine and I could still hear everything normally. Now I can't do anything else because I get the black screen when I try to log into Windows normally (after entering my password and waiting for the desktop).

My Attempt to Fix this Problem
-I followed the FAQ instructions from my graphics card brand, XFX, on their website and now the screen  turns black before the login screen when booting normally. I can only use my  computer in Safe Mode. With all of these driver versions I've tried, I have installed the whole ATI Catalyst Suite and also the drivers by themselves.
-I have even started Windows normally with only core drivers and services running and it has not helped. Sometimes with different settings I am able to log into Windows normally but after a few seconds I might get a black screen (or on two occasions, yellow vertical lines). During the time it works I am able to navigate Windows and SOMETIMES use the internet but the Aero theme is not available.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
- ASUS P7P55D-E LX

Motherboard BIOS Version - 1602

Power Supply
- COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 RS-700-AMBA-D3 700W ATX12V V2.3
- No product page on Cooler Master's website, but here's the Newegg.com page http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171037

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
- Hanns·G HH-281HPB Black 28" 3ms
- The GPU is connected to the monitor using a VGA cable (my monitor's two HDMI ports are defective and only the VGA works so I'm using a DVI-VGA converter on my GPU's end). At first I thought the VGA port gave out and it was finally time to get rid of this crap, but I don't think this the root of the problem since I had the same issue using a DVI-HDMI cable on another screen (HDTV) . Also, this setup has worked fine for 3 years.

Applications and Games
- Counter-Strike: Global Offensive was the last game I was able to play
- I was playing it two days ago with the September 12, 2013 update

CPU Details
- Intel Core i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core
- No overclocking

System Memory Type & Amount
- G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Additional Hardware
- Storage 1 [SSD]: OCZ Agility 2 OCZSSD2-2AGTE60G 2.5" 60GB SATA II
- Storage 2 [HDD]: Seagate Barracuda 2 TB HDD SATA 6 Gb/s NCQ 64MB Cache 3.5-Inch,  Model # ST2000DM001
- PCIe sound card: Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional 70SB088600002
*Note: I only use the sound card for my cheap speaker system. I mostly use my USB-connected headset attached to the motherboard.*
- Blu-Ray drive: LG Electronics 14x Internal BDXL Blu-Ray Burner Rewriter WH14NS40
- Case fans [4 of them]: 200mm (top), 230mm (front), 140mm (rear), and 200mm (side)

Additional Details
Other things I've done:
- The FIRST thing I tried to do was use System Restore to restore to an earlier point. However, I noticed that System Restore was disabled without my permission and I have no restore points. Assuming this was the result of malware (this happened to me earlier this year) I ran a Norton 360 virus scan, a Spybot S&D scan, and a Windows Defender scan (Safe Mode if possible, otherwise in normal Windows). All of them found nothing. I also removed any suspicious software from my Add or Remove Programs list. However, please keep this in mind. I'm concerned malicious software may have started this.
- I started windows in low resolution mode and it did nothing for me. It was like running in normal Windows which meant that this option led to a black screen as well.
- My only hardware swap was with the screen. I already used my computer with another screen (my HDTV) and I got a black screen anyway so this is not a monitor issue.
- I have reinserted the graphics card, my RAM sticks, and all cables connecting to the back of my computer case just to see if they were loose but this hasn't helped.
- I have cleared the CMOS memory using the jumper on the motherboard.
Screenshots:
- I've attached three screenshots to this post. The first one shows the black screen with yellow vertical lines that I saw twice this morning. The second screenshot shows pink horizontal lines going across the BIOS screen which was very odd. The third screenshot showed an error message I received when repeately tapping F8 to get the menu with the Safe Mode option. I got this a few times and just hit escape to get past it.

Please assist me and let me know if I need to replace any hardware. Thank you.

pink lines over bios screen

black screen with yellow lines

weird message while pressing F8 for safe mode

-------------------------

Edited: 09/17/2013 at 05:13 PM by TheBigBadGRIM
 09/17/2013 11:03 PM

Author Icon
TheBigBadGRIM
Peon

Update: Some developments in the last two hours. I installed Malwarebytes and CCleaner and they uncovered 60-80 malicious files, most coming from 3-4 areas in AppData and registry. I also ran Spybot again and it actually found more stuff.

I thought maybe this did the trick, but unfortunately I still get the black screen after I install Catalyst drivers.

Just to avoid any confusion, my main issue is the black screen that I get when I try to log into windows normally. This only occurs when I have Catalyst drivers installed. If I remove them in Safe Mode I can log in successfully but the Aero Theme is gone and I everything runs slow.

Edited: 09/17/2013 at 11:22 PM by TheBigBadGRIM
 09/18/2013 04:35 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

The screenshot that shows artifacts on the BIOS screen indicates that the card gave up and is now broken. I'd try it in another computer. If it shows problems there as well, you'll have to replace it.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

09/18/2013 01:04 PM

Author Icon
TheBigBadGRIM
Peon

I was just approved for an RMA of the graphics card. It looks like I'll be sending this back to them for another card.

I'm glad XFX followed through with their lifetime warranty. It sounded too good to be true.

Thank you Eydee for your help and, to any moderator reading: this thread can now be closed.

Statistics
84708 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.