Topic Title: Trying to get Radeon HD 2400 and HD 5450 to work together
Topic Summary: Trying to install two cards that seem to be covered by different versions of Catalyst
Created On: 09/21/2013 01:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 09/21/2013 01:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
ragothlham
Peon

Basically, I have a machine at work where I have an AMD Radeon HD 5450 and an ATI Radeon HD 2400 that I'm trying to get to play nicely together for a four monitor display, but I can only get one card to work at a time, and it seems like a driver issue. Any advice?

Here's the template information:

Graphics Card

- AMD Radeon HD 5450; ATI Radeon HD 2400 (Microsoft Corporation WDDM 1.1)

- No overclocking

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History

- I have tried both 13-9_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc_whql (which gets the HD 5450 working) and 13-1-legacy_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_ccc (which got the HD 2400 working, but not the HD 5450)

Operating System

-Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1 64-bit

Issue Details

- This is a machine at work; I would like to hook up four monitors for display. All I have at the moment are these two cards, but it looks like the Catalyst system doesn't have a version that supports both; so I was wondering if there was a way to simply get the drivers for one and not go through Catalyst.

-I currently have the AMD Radeon HD 5450 working with 13.9 Catalyst install; but the ATI Radeon HD 2400 has a persistent Code 38 (previous driver version installed in memory error); meaning that when I restart, it does not go away. When I uninstall it, it tries to reinstall, but comes up with a persistent message to restart my system, which does not work; when I uninstall 13.9 Catalyst and install the legacy one, it works, kind of, but does all kinds of terrible things to the AMD Radeon HD 5450.

- I'm wondering if it's even possible to have these two cards running in the same machine at the same time, or if I should just give up and put in an order for another card that's covered by one of the two series of Catalyst.

Motherboard or System Make & Model

- Dell Optiplex 990

Power Supply

- Working from home at the moment, so I'm not 100% sure.

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used

- Working from home, so all the info I get is the RDP Channel, but they are all identical Dell monitors; each hooked up through a DVI splitter and set to extended display, for whichever card is working at the moment.

Applications and Games

- Just base Windows; I can only get one card to work at a time.

CPU Details

- Intel i7-2600 @ 3.40Ghz; no overclocking

Motherboard BIOS Version

- Dell A07, if memory serves.

System Memory Type & Amount

- 16 GB

Additional Hardware

- Nothing that should affect this.

Additional Details

- I've run MalwareBytes, Spybot S&D, and the company's antivirus, all have come up clean.

- As they work one at a time, I know the hardware is good; I just want to get the drivers to work together so that they both work at the same time. Or have it on good authority that this is impossible. 

09/21/2013 01:56 PM

Author Icon
WMudrockJr
Overclocker

The difference of the two cards is the legacy is WDDM 1.1 while the 5000 is WDDM 1.2 will cause one or the other not work. I would pull the 2000 series and get a better card to replace the 5000. 

Dual graphics/crossfire will always be unpredictable whether it works or not. 

Get something above a 7870 would be a good start.

-------------------------

AMD A10-5800K, XFX 7850 Ultra OC Edition 975MHz, 16GB RAM, Win 8.1 Pro 64 bit, MSI 7778 motherboard, 500W PSU, HP P7-1235, CCC 13.12 WHQL

09/21/2013 03:29 PM

Author Icon
ragothlham
Peon

Thanks, I really appreciate the info and I'll try to get two cards in the same series ordered. Hope that goes through.

09/21/2013 03:46 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Alpha Geek

Or just download this which supports both cards.

09/22/2013 07:16 PM

Author Icon
ragothlham
Peon

Thanks Thanny, applied this today and after a few minutes of blinking and reorganizing itself, it worked like a charm.

Statistics
86392 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.