Topic Title: CCC OverDrive Not Taking Effect Until I Open CCC?
Topic Summary: It seems the only way to make the overclock take effect is to open CCC.
Created On: 10/02/2013 02:47 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/22/2013 05:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Caribou007
Peon

Originally posted by: Marc@AMD On the back-end of support.amd.com, a recent significant change took place.  I am a part of AMD's Global Customer Care, and we (as one input) are uncovering a number of broken links and issues that need addressing through the support.amd.com portal.  I'll take what you have given, and will pass it along to the right people to investigate.  I will say that with the changes that took place on the back-end, the plan was to remove a host of old Catalyst Drivers.  Specifically which ones? I don't know. 

Looking at the one of the links you gave: http://support.amd.com/en-us/download/desktop/legacy?product=legacy2&os=Windows+7+-+32

The opening references Linux (!?!), but then below it all seems to refer to Windows.  Don't think that's correct at all.  I got to that page by working through the Driver Selection Drop-Downs for an HD3000 Series PCI-E card on Windows 8 64-bit.  Quite frankly,  it may be a mistake that the drop-downs even offer that as a driver. Bottom-line: it will take some time for things to get fixed. 

What's the best I can really suggest to you at this point?  I would stick with the driver WMurdrockJr linked to, and don't count on an HD3000 Series (AGP, especially) graphics card functioning well (if at all) on Windows 8.  Also, if a driver is available for it, it will most certainly be offered "As-Is" so any issues you run into, are not supported by AMD.

;Marc

Hi Marc.  On the AMD Graphics Drivers and Software webpage, there used to be a table just like the Latest AMD Catalyst™ Drivers for Radeon™ HD8000, HD 7000, HD 6000 and HD 5000 Series table, located directly below, for the HD4000, HD 3000, and HD 2000 Series.  Just like it, there were links below for various operating systems.  Before that existed, you had to go to the webpage WMurdrockJr linked to for the AGP drivers.  Then, they started to include AGP drivers with the PCI-E drivers, and the AGP Driver-specific webpage didn't get updated anymore.  The AGP-specific page seems to be a relic that somehow was left over, after having been superseded by the Latest AMD Catalyst™ Drivers for Radeon™ HD4000, HD 3000, and HD 2000 Series article, (now missing). When I called AMD telephone support asking for new drivers for this graphics card, they directed me there for the latest drivers.  FutureMark corrolates that by stating that 13.1 is the latest stable driver for my video card for use with benchmarking with 3DMark.  Both the 13.1 and Beta 13.4 Catalyst Software Suites are complete with Windows 8 drivers and install correctly on Windows 8, so it seems clear that they are meant to be used with Windows 8.

It makes sense to provide new drivers for this series of cards for users of Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8/8.1 because this card is still used.  As a matter of fact, the official system requirements for the game Batman: Arkham Origins, which is an upcoming game being released in a few days, on October 25, list the AMD Radeon HD3850 as the minimum system requirement AMD video card.  And updated drivers were provided for this series of cards last week by AMD, Catalyst Software Suite 13.9 released October 15.  What isn't fair and doesn't make sense would be to drop support for Windows 8/8.1.  The only reasonable explanation would be that the Windows 8/8.1 drivers were delayed due to the release fo Windows 8.1 on October 17.

Edited: 10/22/2013 at 05:07 PM by Caribou007
 10/24/2013 08:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Hi, Caribou007. I have an official - and final - answer for you.

This Version of Catalyst 13.9 will be the last issued driver for Windows 8 and Legacy AMD Radeon products (HD4000 Series & Older).  This driver can also be installed under Windows 8.1.  All features and functions of the graphics card will work, including hardware acceleration for games.

However, under Windows 8.1, you will need to install the driver manually.  This is done through Device Manager.  Manual Driver instructions can be found online through many resources, but AMD does plan to provide a knowledgebase article with these instructions in the near future too.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

Statistics
87599 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.