Topic Title: High GPU usage on IDLE - Catalyst 13.9
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/03/2013 12:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
1 2 Next Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/03/2013 12:36 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

Hello, 

I have Windows 7 x64 using AMD Radeon HD 7900 Series

So far I have been using Catalyst drivers 13.1. Once I have updated to 13.9 I find using AMD Overdrive that the GPU activity on Windows desktop and when it's supposed to be in idle reaches over 90% of activity, temperature rises around 60 celsius and speed of the fun goes up to 70% (which I can clearly hear). This is obviously not normal and when I install back 13.1 this stop happening.

Anyone had the same issue? is this an already well known bug or just my computer?

thanks in advance.

10/03/2013 05:45 AM

Author Icon
jcwild
Peon

This sounds very similar to my issue in http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=168208.  I also have 7990 on Win 7 x64, although this happens for me without using Overdrive.

I was going to try 13.9, but based on your comments I think I will leave it.  You could try 13.4, as I have no issues with that version.

Edited: 10/04/2013 at 05:55 AM by jcwild
 10/03/2013 05:56 AM

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

Originally posted by: jcwild This sounds very similar to my issue in http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=168208.  I also have 7990 on Win 7 x64, although this happens for me without using Overdrive.

I was going to try 13.9, but based on your comments I think I will leave it.  You could try 13.4, as I have no issues with that version.

Hi, thanks for your reply. Yes, I saw your post but I was unsure if it was the same as you have a setup with 2 cards. But seems like the same story. I already had try with 13.4 with same result. So seems like I am stuck on 13.1 ultill this problem is solved, that considering that someone knows about it ... this is something that yet I don't care about too much but as time go by and drivers develop it can be a serious issue.

10/04/2013 03:42 AM

Author Icon
jcwild
Peon

Well I tried 13.9, and can confirm that it also uses high GPU on all devices other than the primary GPU, causing the cards to heat up at idle.  Again, rolling back to 13.4 resolves the issue for me.

10/04/2013 04:54 AM

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

Originally posted by: jcwild Well I tried 13.9, and can confirm that it also uses high GPU on all devices other than the primary GPU, causing the cards to heat up at idle.  Again, rolling back to 13.4 resolves the issue for me.

Still wondering if this is something AMD is aware or we are the only 2 guys having the problem and my graphic card will die with 13.1

10/04/2013 05:54 AM

Author Icon
jcwild
Peon

Thing is, I don't think it can be a fault in the cards themselves, as exactly the same behaviour is appearing in both of mine.  Clearly there has been some fundamental change in the drivers that is causing this behaviour.  Perhaps it is happening to other people and they just aren't noticing?

Which 7900 series card is it you have?

10/04/2013 07:15 AM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

On every driver download page is a "issue report form". If you don't report your issue nothing will be done.

-------------------------

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/04/2013 08:02 AM

Author Icon
jcwild
Peon

Originally posted by: stumped On every driver download page is a "issue report form". If you don't report your issue nothing will be done.

I did for the Beta driver.  Have now also done for 13.9.

10/05/2013 08:15 PM

Author Icon
Beneksz
Peon

Hi, I just write the post on jcwild topic but I will also write it here.

"I have the same problem but I dont have 2 cards just one HD7970Ghz Edition and I look every where to find the solution but no one know what is the problem. I thought I will give the card on guarantee because something is going on with the card but yesterday after over 2h of installing and uninstalling the drivers I open task manager and find the program named atidxx when I close the task boom the activity of card drop from 94% to 0% and temp go down to 34 from 75 in idle. I open the "Launch" dont know how it is named in english versions of windows (start button + R on keybord) and open msconfig go to launch bookmark and find the proces the name is 'AtiDriverStart' and unmatch it. Dont know is it the problem with drivers or some kind of virus. I delete the file. Hope I help and if someone have some info about this file and proces write."

I forgot to add that there are 2 files in the folder atidxx and atiedxx. You can find them in C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\ATI Technologies

10/07/2013 07:10 PM

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

And now it starting to happen also with 13.1

I am losing my karma with this issue....

10/08/2013 05:25 PM

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

Originally posted by: Beneksz Hi, I just write the post on jcwild topic but I will also write it here.

"I have the same problem but I dont have 2 cards just one HD7970Ghz Edition and I look every where to find the solution but no one know what is the problem. I thought I will give the card on guarantee because something is going on with the card but yesterday after over 2h of installing and uninstalling the drivers I open task manager and find the program named atidxx when I close the task boom the activity of card drop from 94% to 0% and temp go down to 34 from 75 in idle. I open the "Launch" dont know how it is named in english versions of windows (start button + R on keybord) and open msconfig go to launch bookmark and find the proces the name is 'AtiDriverStart' and unmatch it. Dont know is it the problem with drivers or some kind of virus. I delete the file. Hope I help and if someone have some info about this file and proces write."

I forgot to add that there are 2 files in the folder atidxx and atiedxx. You can find them in C:\Users\user name\AppData\Local\ATI Technologies

If I try to finish atieclxx.exe I get an error message saying access denied, the operation couldn't be completed (more or less translated)

Now its randomly appearing and not apparently related to the drivers.......

10/08/2013 05:26 PM

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

I found it

svchost.exe is the one making my card go wild

10/08/2013 05:34 PM

Author Icon
jcwild
Peon

svchost is a host process for an underlying DLL, so is not the actual exe causing an issue. See http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running for further info into finding the cause.

10/08/2013 08:54 PM

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

Yes, I saw something, but if I kill the one at the starting, card behaves well. So it might some problematic DLL? Too late now will read that link in the morning. Thank you.

10/14/2013 04:54 PM

Author Icon
GerryJ
Peon

First post on the forum, mainly because of this problem.

I have a Club 3D HD7870 which started showing similar symptoms with the 13.4 drivers, and exactly the same with 13.9. Not as extreme as others have reported, mine runs at high performance levels(1050MHz/1200MHz) even when on desktop, running at loads of 60% and temps of 50C. A re-install of the drivers will get normal behaviour with the card powering down to idle speeds (300/150), This lasts while a session lasts, including kicking into high performance mode for gaming and then powering down again. Shutting down for a few hours and rebooting and I'm back to the high performance speeds. I'm now in a situation where I install drivers every time I boot my machine.

I've posted a report to AMD. This is just to let you know that you're not alone out there. I only noticed the prob when i went into MSI Afterburner to check OC settings. There will be a whole load of people who haven't noticed as they don't check regularly. They'll just be thinking their fans getting a bit noisy.

10/14/2013 06:36 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Not a plethora of users in this thread, the issue seems to be rare and isolated. Maybe there's something on your systems running in the background using the GPU and triggering 3D mode.

I would adwise all of you to make a temp partition and try a clean temp install of windows. How do your cards behave in a completely clean and isolated environment?

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

10/14/2013 08:34 PM

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee Not a plethora of users in this thread, the issue seems to be rare and isolated. Maybe there's something on your systems running in the background using the GPU and triggering 3D mode.

I would adwise all of you to make a temp partition and try a clean temp install of windows. How do your cards behave in a completely clean and isolated environment?

This is happening to most of users when upgrading from 13.4 and later. 

10/14/2013 08:36 PM

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

Originally posted by: jcwild svchost is a host process for an underlying DLL, so is not the actual exe causing an issue. See http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/what-is-svchostexe-and-why-is-it-running for further info into finding the cause.

I still dont have a clue which process can be the cause.. There are too many.

10/15/2013 03:44 AM

Author Icon
jcwild
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee Not a plethora of users in this thread, the issue seems to be rare and isolated. Maybe there's something on your systems running in the background using the GPU and triggering 3D mode.
If there was something actually using the 3D, it would also show up in earlier drivers.  Given that it jumps from 0% to 99% just from a driver change, that does not suggest that it an external factor.

It's a shame there is no reliable way to determine what process(es) are using GPU.  Process Explorer does show a value, but it is just a guess, and not terribly accurate.

10/15/2013 04:22 AM

Author Icon
pacotellez
Peon

Originally posted by: jcwild
If there was something actually using the 3D, it would also show up in earlier drivers.  Given that it jumps from 0% to 99% just from a driver change, that does not suggest that it an external factor.

It's a shame there is no reliable way to determine what process(es) are using GPU.  Process Explorer does show a value, but it is just a guess, and not terribly accurate.

I am reading that link you posted about svchost. There is one single svchost32.exe and many instances for svchost.exe and those are the ones running the services. The one I kill is svchost32.exe then card behaves normal but the services actually are all up and running unders the different svchost.exe instances. So actually I am looking for malware in my PC and the option of replace that exe file from another computer.

Statistics
84247 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.