Topic Title: High GPU usage on IDLE - Catalyst 13.9
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/03/2013 12:36 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
<< 1 2 Previous Last unread
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/15/2013 08:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
superliger
Peon

I'm getting something simular with the like this with 13.9 but also with 13.11 but it's with the memory clock staying all the way up. I have done some testing one of the things that does bring it down for a little bit is a youtube video. A few things you can do to fix it for a little bit are 1. restart the computer 2. reinstall the package 3. disable the card in the manager and then enable it. Be sure CCC is closed first.

EDIT: I'm using the 7990. I would also like to ad that the 13.10 beta doesn't do this. AMD please get better forums too. this is the 4th time editing.

Edited: 10/15/2013 at 09:06 AM by superliger
 10/15/2013 10:20 AM

Author Icon
jcwild
Peon

Yeah, I actually found that doing any sort of processing on the GPU actually brought the temperatures down.  I guess because whatever it is incorrectly doing at idle, it is running flat out (in some sort of busy loop), whereas when the GPU is put to work, it probably runs at 50% or so.

10/15/2013 10:50 AM

Author Icon
superliger
Peon

It also seems to be more be of the internet that seems to cause it for me as if I was going to fast for it. Looking through images or pages and switching between apps causes it to. For me the GPU core is working fine it's the memory clock that seems to "stick" for me.

I just did a reinstall of the 13.11 with the firewall and everything turned off to see if that will do something.

I do agree that it seems like something it giving the card a false instruction that causes it to go into a loop. Maybe it's having problems digesting? After a while it works fine and then it will go buggy until one of those things I mentioned is done as if there was a large chunk of information going to it that it can't dump.

EDIT: yep I was going fine until a few mins ago when I watched a youtube video and now the memory won't clock back down.

Edited: 10/15/2013 at 01:13 PM by superliger
 10/15/2013 02:35 PM

Author Icon
GerryJ
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee Not a plethora of users in this thread, the issue seems to be rare and isolated. Maybe there's something on your systems running in the background using the GPU and triggering 3D mode.

I would adwise all of you to make a temp partition and try a clean temp install of windows. How do your cards behave in a completely clean and isolated environment?

Didn't go as far as you suggested, but did however, do a complete AMD uninstall via control panel and then installed Catalyst 3.1 drivers and surprise surprise, card is now behaving as it should. No high performance speeds while idling.

As I pointed out earlier, not everyone affected will have noticed a problem as it's not immediately obvious unless you keep a close eye on your system. The only change I've made is to uninstall 13.9, so the only background activity not running now is the 13.9 drivers.

Statistics
84296 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 5 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.