Topic Title: HDMI audio lockout on third party adapters - Catalyst driver issue
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/08/2013 06:48 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/08/2013 06:48 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BloodyIron
Peon

AMD, Guys, cmon. This ***** is not acceptable: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ4MDE

tl;dr: AMD locks out third party HDMI adapters from having sound on them even though they totally can actually do it.

10/09/2013 03:47 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

Vendor lock-in is bad... yeah we get it, but whether you're using adapters or not you shouldn't be expecting to get audio out of a dvi connection anyway.  It was a vendor specific feature which gave you that ability in the first place.

-------------------------

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

Edited: 10/09/2013 at 03:54 AM by Mime
 10/09/2013 03:55 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: BloodyIron AMD, Guys, cmon. This ***** is not acceptable: http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=news_item&px=MTQ4MDE

tl;dr: AMD locks out third party HDMI adapters from having sound on them even though they totally can actually do it.

When you'll have your own company and have to officially support things, and pay for having a support department, you'll do the same.

Until then, use open source drivers, or use a sound card. Every motherboard has them these days.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

10/09/2013 04:13 AM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

The funny thing is the IT folks probably hate it also.  Having to untrain people once they get a wrong idea in their head always seems more difficult than just explaining how things actually work.

Do not meddle in the affairs of archers, for they are subtle and quick to anger.
Troll Hunter

The opinions expressed above do not represent those of Advanced Micro Devices or any of their affiliates.

10/09/2013 10:16 AM

Author Icon
BloodyIron
Peon

As the article outlines all third party adapters can do this properly too. The only thing preventing it from happening is a built in I2C EEPROM chip which identifies the device, that's it. Plenty of other adapters are propery wired and meet necessary specs, yet AMD's driver intentionally shuts them out.

10/09/2013 10:59 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: BloodyIron As the article outlines all third party adapters can do this properly too. The only thing preventing it from happening is a built in I2C EEPROM chip which identifies the device, that's it. Plenty of other adapters are propery wired and meet necessary specs, yet AMD's driver intentionally shuts them out.

Because supporting them costs more money than using this little chip. It's that simple.

Also they probably knew those cards would be moved to legacy state soon, so that's one more good reason to do so. AFAIK all non-legacy cards should have a native HDMI output by now.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

10/09/2013 04:43 PM

Author Icon
Mime
Forum Moderator

A little less frothing at the mouth over the evils of vendor lock-in, and you might see the irony I was pointing out earlier...

For example, imagine I am a clearly ridicoulous baker of cookies.

Step 1: I make a big glob of cookie dough.

Step 2: I use a round cookie-cutter to make round cookies.

Step 3: I use a square cookie-cutter on the round cookies in order to make them square.

Step 4: I complain about having square cookies.

I leave it to you where you'd like to insert reference to an insidious vendor of cookie cutters and whatever nefarious tricks they use in attempt to lock me into buying only their stuff.  Upon discovery of that I could wail and complain(since I do dearly love my cookies), or I could simply realize that square cookie cutters are best at making square cookies and leave it at that.

Troll Hunter

Statistics
84124 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 7 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.