Topic Title: No screen on monitor
Topic Summary:
Created On: 10/16/2013 10:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/16/2013 10:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Wydo
Peon

I have a custom built media computer with an abit FATA1ty F190HD motherboard and Windows Vista with Media Center.  The motherboard has a built in ATI graphics card.  I have ATI Catalyst Manager installed and I don't know what version it is.  I have had the system hooked up to my Sony TV for many years and it worked perfetly untill today when I tried to set up a custom resolution in order reduce the overscan.  When I went to select that resolution the screen went blank and never returned.  The TV says there is no signal.  The TV is connected using HDMI on the motherboard.

After waiting a while I rebooted up in safe mode.  The drivers for the ATI are off line in safe mode so there is no adjusting Catalyst as it will not come up so there is no checking the version of it.

I am at this point locked out of my computer.  Is there any way of returning to a working Catalyst and computer?

10/17/2013 09:56 AM

Author Icon
Marc@AMD
Forum Moderator

Within Safe-Mode, go to Device Manager and uninstall the ATI/AMD display adapter entries.  Right-click the entry, and 'uninstall.'  If there is a check-box to uninstall device software, check it.  Once all ATI/AMD entries are removed from Display Adapters in Device Manager reboot the system into normal mode.

Normal-Mode in Windows should give a display now.

Now follow the remaining (proper) uninstall and install steps found in the How-TO/FAQ category on this forum.

;Marc

-------------------------

AMD Customer Care

The information presented in this document is for informational purposes only and may contain technical inaccuracies, omissions and typographical errors. Links to third party sites are for convenience only, and no endorsement is implied.

10/17/2013 07:15 PM

Author Icon
Wydo
Peon

Hi Marc,

Thanks for the quick reply.  This is one of the first things I tried to do but there is a problem.  When Catalyst uninstall comes up the next button is off the screen.  Due in part because of the low resolution in safe mode, the overscan problem of the TV and because the Ctalyst Uninstall window is so large and not reduceable.  I can't complete the uninstall because I can't get to the next button at the bottom.  I hope I am making this understandable.

Do you have any other thoughts on what I could do?  Is there a keyboard combonation that will work or something of that sort?

Thanks again

Edited: 10/17/2013 at 07:23 PM by Wydo
 10/17/2013 07:22 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Wydo low resolution in safe mode

Right click on the desktop, select personalize, then display settings. There you can set a higher resolution. Anything newer than win2k can do even 1600x1200 under safe mode with the standard VGA driver. You just have to select it.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

10/18/2013 12:47 AM

Author Icon
Wydo
Peon

Thanks Eydee,

I ended up getting my desktop monitor from the back room and hooking it up to the computer and it booted right up to the monitor where I could make adjustments.  I will remember what you said though.

Funny thing is that it would not boot up to the TV as the monitor with a custom overscan screen.  I had to  put it back to 720P then the TV would see it.  Of course it could have been my new Yamaha receiver that didn't like it.

I have one more question.  Will the AMD Catalyst Manager work with an ATI chip set?

10/18/2013 05:30 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Wydo I have one more question.  Will the AMD Catalyst Manager work with an ATI chip set?

What do you mean? The chipset has no adjustable settings. Well, it has, but you'll need to use the AMD Overdrive program (separate) for adjusting clock speeds and whatnot. CCC has only "safe" settings, so chipset overclocking does not belong there.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

10/19/2013 12:46 AM

Author Icon
Wydo
Peon

I mean the chip is made by ATI and not AMD.  It is old enough that it was made before AMD bought ATI.  So will I have to stick to the ATI Catalyst manager or will the AMD Catalyst Manager work?

10/19/2013 07:21 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Wydo I mean the chip is made by ATI and not AMD.  It is old enough that it was made before AMD bought ATI.  So will I have to stick to the ATI Catalyst manager or will the AMD Catalyst Manager work?

Now I understand. It works like this:

For Radeon HD 5k and newer, you can use the latest drivers available.

For Radeon HD 2k, 3k and 4k cards (branded as ATi indeed) yuo need to use the latest legacy (still rarely updated) drivers.

For Radeon X series and older (made by ATi) you need to use another, older legacy set, which is no longer updated. The last version of this is 10.2 if I'm not mistaken.

The best thing you can do is going to amd.com, and selecting support and drivers in the upper right corner. Then click the green "find your driver" button in the middle. There you can input your card type and OS, and the website will select the driver you need.

Statistics
88799 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.