Topic Title: *SOLVED* Need help...Windows 7 Aero effects have been turned off
Topic Summary: After I installed the 13.10 beta2 drivers I have no way of turning on transparency for Aero.
Created On: 10/18/2013 11:25 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 10/18/2013 11:25 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TechnoBill
Peon

EDIT: After trying everything described in the original post below, to no avail, I tried something so simple it seemed silly...but it worked! I just went into the advanced settings in resolution and changed the bit depth from 32 to 16, and then back again. Viola! I know have a fully functional desktop with Aero composition and transparency I hope anyone else having this problem will try this simple step at some point, instead of resolving to reinstall their whole OS.

Original Post Follows:

I was excited to install the AMD 13.10 beta 2 drivers on a Radeon 6950 Windows 7 setup so I could see what the difference would be for Battlefield 4. I was somewhat worried during the installation by a "driver not signed" warning, but continued on with the process believing that it was because the driver was still beta and not certified yet.

Up until this point I have not had a single issue with my Windows 7 install, and have kept up-to-date with the AMD drivers.

However, much to my chagrin, after I installed the beta drivers I have no way of turning on transparency for Aero.

Also, I've noticed that the windows desktop is no longer accelerated; significant tearing while scrolling browser windows occurs, and it seems like it's being rendered by the CPU instead of the GPU.

Battlefield 4 plays fine though, windowed 3D games (Starmade for example) work just fine as well.

I have tried multiple auto-fix helpers, checked my power settings (even though it's a desktop), tried uninstalling the beta and rolling back to the previous drivers, used system restore points (unfortunately don't have a restore point before the beta), driver cleaners, reg-fixes, Aero-forcers, system file verification...everything except for a windows OS reinstallation. I've clean-booted, made sure dwm.exe is running, restarted uxsms, and looked through every forum I can find to try to see what the hell could possibly be going on.

I'm currently running v13.9 released, but still have the issue. 

The Microsoft Fix-It utility (from the Windows Support site) runs through the diagnosis and reports back that my video card does not support Aero, although when I run the Windows Experience Index benchmark it comes back with a Aero score of 7.8. The build-in Aero troubleshooter finds no problems with the card or drivers. This is so confusing!

I have access to all Aero themes in Personalization, and everything other than transparency and acceleration are working when I switch between Basic and Aero modes. The checkmark for Transparency is not available when looking at the Window Color option. This is despite that all related services for Aero are enabled and running.

Is there a file in windows which can be missed by all of these checks and fixes but which if corrupted or of the incorrect version will make windows Aero not work?

Has anyone ever been able to fix this problem without reinstalling Windows?

Thanks in advance for whatever help you can give!

Edited: 11/08/2013 at 07:46 AM by TechnoBill
 10/18/2013 12:37 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Sounds like an isolated case and a borked OS. Don't ask me what killed it. Maybe the driver installer, maybe all those driver cleaners and other starange tools. Maybe all of these together.

Even if I had this and knew how to "fix" it, I wouldn't want to live with such a broken system. A reinstall doesn't take much if your patitions and data are well organized. You can be up and running within a few hours.

Well, if your stuff is not organized, now is a good chance to do it.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

10/18/2013 12:44 PM

Author Icon
TechnoBill
Peon

The Aero problem showed up directly after installing the 13.10 beta2 drivers, which were then immediately uninstalled and then 13.9 was reinstalled.

When the problem persisted after the reinstallation of known working drivers, all the other actions were taken. 

At this point, no files have been modified; only a few registry entries have been made which have also been removed.

10/18/2013 01:29 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Use the search feature.....type in Aero.

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/18/2013 04:30 PM

Author Icon
TechnoBill
Peon

I have tried multiple auto-fix helpers, checked my power settings (even though it's a desktop), tried uninstalling the beta and rolling back to the previous drivers, used system restore points (unfortunately don't have a restore point before the beta), driver cleaners, reg-fixes, Aero-forcers, system file verification...everything except for a windows OS reinstallation. I've clean-booted, made sure dwm.exe is running, restarted uxsms, and looked through every forum I can find to try to see what the hell could possibly be going on.

The above implies that have indeed typed "Aero" into a search engine

Thanks for replying, though!

10/18/2013 04:49 PM

Author Icon
stumped
Wizard

Originally posted by: TechnoBill

The above implies that have indeed typed "Aero" into a search engine

Thanks for replying, though!

I meant type it into this search.....

Intel I7 960 @ 3.87ghz *Intel DX58SO *HIS HD6970 2gb *Corsair TX650M *2x4gb Corsair XMS3 *WD Black 1TB *Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit ***Asus N71Jq laptop *Intel I7 720QM Processor *Mobility Radeon HD5730 1gb *8gb Ram *Windows 7 64bit ** Toshiba P75-A7200 * Intel I7-4700MQ * Windows 8.1 64bit

* A clear conscience is usually a sign of bad memory *

10/21/2013 02:00 PM

Author Icon
TechnoBill
Peon

I wish I knew what you were talking about...if you're saying I haven't run the troubleshooter or know where to set transparency options, then I don't think you read my post very closely.

Statistics
85510 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.