Topic Title: Major R9 280X/Catalyst Issues in Win 8.1
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/02/2013 02:37 AM
Status: Post and Reply
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/02/2013 02:37 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Wessex
Peon

Posts: 2
Joined: 11/02/2013

Bear with me, this is a bit long.

I've got an XFX R9 280X that I originally bought a few weeks ago for my i7-920 box. I used it in the 920 box and it ran fine in plenty of games (BF3, BF4 Beta, Civ 5) with no issues.

I replaced my 920 box with a Haswell i7-4770 box this week. I transplanted the R9 280X and I've had nothing but major issues in both games and Windows since. I'm talking about crashes and freezes. Even plain old desktop usage can cause the display driver to crash. Fire Strike crashes. Civ 5 crashes. BF4 crashes. (When I say crash, the vast majority of these are image freezes but the game is still playing--I can hear the audio--or the game is still running but it drops to desktop and I can't bring anything back up. The crashes when web browsing are "display driver stops responding"-style crashes.)

So I started trying to troubleshoot the problem. Wiped out the partition and installed Windows 8.1 from scratch. I've tried all the 13.11 beta drivers. I've updated everything in my system, including the motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers. I've tried underclocking/overclocking. (For those wondering, the power supply is a new Corsair 750 watt model). And I don't believe it's a heat issue, as I'm running with the box on its side with the panel removed. But I've also run Sandra and Furmark and those appear to have no issues.

Then I pulled the R9 out and plugged in an old Nvidia GTX560, did a clean install, and had no issues whatsoever. Pulled out the Nvidia board, put the R9 back in, clean install, and it went back to crashing. For good measure, I repeated the process and put the Nvidia board back in, clean install, and once again rock solid.

So I put the R9 into my old 920 box again, clean install, and it's rock solid, no issues whatsoever. Which leads me to conclude the issue is with the drivers on my Haswell box. 

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? Any ideas? It's really frustrating right now. I'm just hoping the Beta 9 drivers address this, or else I'm looking at cutting losses and buying an Nvidia board.

 



Edited: 11/02/2013 at 02:45 AM by Wessex
 11/02/2013 08:26 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Posts: 4861
Joined: 12/27/2008

Originally posted by: Wessex

 

So I put the R9 into my old 920 box again, clean install, and it's rock solid, no issues whatsoever. Which leads me to conclude the issue is with the drivers on my Haswell box.

My conclusion would be incompatibility with the motherboard of the i7 4770 system. I'd talk to the manufacturer. They surely will lie and say they know nothing but it's still worth a try.

If the 2 CPUs happen to use the same socket, try switching them and using the older motherboard with the video card.



-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

 11/03/2013 10:58 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
cvearl
Peon

Posts: 21
Joined: 09/22/2013

Originally posted by: Wessex Bear with me, this is a bit long.

I've got an XFX R9 280X that I originally bought a few weeks ago for my i7-920 box. I used it in the 920 box and it ran fine in plenty of games (BF3, BF4 Beta, Civ 5) with no issues.

I replaced my 920 box with a Haswell i7-4770 box this week. I transplanted the R9 280X and I've had nothing but major issues in both games and Windows since. I'm talking about crashes and freezes. Even plain old desktop usage can cause the display driver to crash. Fire Strike crashes. Civ 5 crashes. BF4 crashes. (When I say crash, the vast majority of these are image freezes but the game is still playing--I can hear the audio--or the game is still running but it drops to desktop and I can't bring anything back up. The crashes when web browsing are "display driver stops responding"-style crashes.)

So I started trying to troubleshoot the problem. Wiped out the partition and installed Windows 8.1 from scratch. I've tried all the 13.11 beta drivers. I've updated everything in my system, including the motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers. I've tried underclocking/overclocking. (For those wondering, the power supply is a new Corsair 750 watt model). And I don't believe it's a heat issue, as I'm running with the box on its side with the panel removed. But I've also run Sandra and Furmark and those appear to have no issues.

Then I pulled the R9 out and plugged in an old Nvidia GTX560, did a clean install, and had no issues whatsoever. Pulled out the Nvidia board, put the R9 back in, clean install, and it went back to crashing. For good measure, I repeated the process and put the Nvidia board back in, clean install, and once again rock solid.

So I put the R9 into my old 920 box again, clean install, and it's rock solid, no issues whatsoever. Which leads me to conclude the issue is with the drivers on my Haswell box. 

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? Any ideas? It's really frustrating right now. I'm just hoping the Beta 9 drivers address this, or else I'm looking at cutting losses and buying an Nvidia board.

 

 

Did you do a fresh install of Windows on the new computer? I hope so. It is NEVER recommeded to just move a hard drive from one box to the other even though it can be done in some cases.

If I get a new system... I would add the video card. Install Windows fresh and add all the relevent drivers and you should not have had any issues.

Most people I help with new systems having issues seemed to have attempted to just transplant the HDD and old Operating System.

Was that it?

Charles.



-------------------------
 11/03/2013 06:45 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Wessex
Peon

Posts: 2
Joined: 11/02/2013

Originally posted by: cvearl
Originally posted by: Wessex Bear with me, this is a bit long.

 

I've got an XFX R9 280X that I originally bought a few weeks ago for my i7-920 box. I used it in the 920 box and it ran fine in plenty of games (BF3, BF4 Beta, Civ 5) with no issues.

 

I replaced my 920 box with a Haswell i7-4770 box this week. I transplanted the R9 280X and I've had nothing but major issues in both games and Windows since. I'm talking about crashes and freezes. Even plain old desktop usage can cause the display driver to crash. Fire Strike crashes. Civ 5 crashes. BF4 crashes. (When I say crash, the vast majority of these are image freezes but the game is still playing--I can hear the audio--or the game is still running but it drops to desktop and I can't bring anything back up. The crashes when web browsing are "display driver stops responding"-style crashes.)

 

So I started trying to troubleshoot the problem. Wiped out the partition and installed Windows 8.1 from scratch. I've tried all the 13.11 beta drivers. I've updated everything in my system, including the motherboard BIOS and chipset drivers. I've tried underclocking/overclocking. (For those wondering, the power supply is a new Corsair 750 watt model). And I don't believe it's a heat issue, as I'm running with the box on its side with the panel removed. But I've also run Sandra and Furmark and those appear to have no issues.

 

Then I pulled the R9 out and plugged in an old Nvidia GTX560, did a clean install, and had no issues whatsoever. Pulled out the Nvidia board, put the R9 back in, clean install, and it went back to crashing. For good measure, I repeated the process and put the Nvidia board back in, clean install, and once again rock solid.

 

So I put the R9 into my old 920 box again, clean install, and it's rock solid, no issues whatsoever. Which leads me to conclude the issue is with the drivers on my Haswell box. 

 

Anyone else experiencing anything like this? Any ideas? It's really frustrating right now. I'm just hoping the Beta 9 drivers address this, or else I'm looking at cutting losses and buying an Nvidia board.

 

 

 

 

 

 

Did you do a fresh install of Windows on the new computer? I hope so. It is NEVER recommeded to just move a hard drive from one box to the other even though it can be done in some cases.

 

If I get a new system... I would add the video card. Install Windows fresh and add all the relevent drivers and you should not have had any issues.

 

Most people I help with new systems having issues seemed to have attempted to just transplant the HDD and old Operating System.

 

Was that it?

 

Charles.

 

Apparenly you missed all times I mention I've done a clean install on this box. (It's been more than five times at this point).

The weird thing is I can get it to run at times. I ran Fire Strike three times in a row. On the fourth time, it crashed right before the end.

Other times, it crashes just as Fire Strike starts up.

I've been sending bug reports to AMD. If Beta 9 doesn't stabilize things, I'm looking at an RMA or a straight-up return.

 11/03/2013 08:09 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Vantharas
Polygon Pusher

Posts: 3506
Joined: 03/01/2009

If that R280X works perfectly fine in your I7 920 Board, I would place blame on the haswell board you bought. But I'm sure the manufacturer of said board will deny any issues they can think of. Then again You may try a bios update. 

But that doesn't really make any sense because the only radeon cards in the past that have had actual chipset issues were the 5k series being installed on really old chipsets from Nvidia and Intel.

Which were fixed with bios updates from the respected manufacturer. if they chose to fix it that is. 



-------------------------

I5 3570K@4~5.0ghz: Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UD3H:Corsair Hydro H110 :16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR-3 1600: XFX Radeon 7950 @ 1100/1575 : Corsair AX 860 PSU: x1 WD Black 1TB HDD's: 90GB Agility 3: 960GB SSD : Creative Labs X-FI:Corsair 500R Arctic White Edition:3 22inch Monitors Eyefinity @ 5294x 1050 : Alienware Tact-X Keyboard: Razer Naga :Corsair Vengence 1500 Headset: Corsair SP2500 Speakers

 12/09/2013 03:19 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
erick500
Peon

Posts: 2
Joined: 12/07/2013

I have the same stability issues with my asus 280x card as well. I'd rather stick with AMD but these crashes are really trying my patience. Driver even crashes right after boot with the AMD control panel open.

 12/09/2013 07:32 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Posts: 4861
Joined: 12/27/2008

Originally posted by: erick500 I have the same stability issues with my asus 280x card as well. I'd rather stick with AMD but these crashes are really trying my patience. Driver even crashes right after boot with the AMD control panel open.

 

You too contact the manufacturer of the unstable board and use the stable one in the meantime.



-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
84724 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.