Topic Title: Trouble using multiple outputs on 7870
Topic Summary: Plugging in a TV to 7870 HDMI port disables monitor display
Created On: 11/04/2013 03:20 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/04/2013 03:20 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
virduk
Peon

As it says on the tin.

I have a 7870 which is connected via DVI to my monitor. Works fine. But if I plug a TV into a HDMI port the monitor display is diabled and I get no output there either.

Now if I boot my machine with both connected I see output until it finishes loading windows and then both displays go black.

Now I assume this is a catalyst driver config issue. Now i've tried to reset this to default by using the reset to default in the catalyst control center (in preferences) but this does nothing.

What do I have to do? Uninstall the drivers completely and start afresh?

11/04/2013 09:22 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

I'd first try a completely clean temp install -- including the OS. Trying a linux live CD would be a good idea as well, even though they usually come with the free radeon driver. It's still OK to rule out any hardware issue.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

11/04/2013 05:26 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

What version of Catalyst are you using? 

What happens if you plug only the TV in, then add the monitor?

11/07/2013 04:40 AM

Author Icon
virduk
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee I'd first try a completely clean temp install -- including the OS. Trying a linux live CD would be a good idea as well, even though they usually come with the free radeon driver. It's still OK to rule out any hardware issue.

OK. I will. I did try and do a complete uninstall of the AMD software and drivers using the 'program and features' part of the control panel. Didn't really completely go away. Even with 'uninstall driver' from the device manager it never REALLY went away. As soon as I turn on my second display Windows would notice it and then reinstall AMD drivers which would then disable my displays.

Some thing I have worked out. Normally I had my Computer and TV connected via my AVR. Thats seeming what the drivers are sensing and then disabling the displays. If I connect my PC directly to my PC it would be fine (as I guess a direct TV connection had not been configured).

This is super frustrating. Where does this kind of info get stored? in the restistry somewhere?

11/07/2013 04:41 AM

Author Icon
virduk
Peon

Originally posted by: Thanny What version of Catalyst are you using? 

What happens if you plug only the TV in, then add the monitor?

Its 13.9 of the drivers.

Unplugged monitor. Connected tv via AVR.

Booted machine. Got all the way to the windows 8 login screen with the clock etc. Afer a couple of seconds the signal is disabled. Screen black.

Plugged in monitor. Onced turned on it quickly goes into no signal mode.

Turn off tv and avr.

Monitor comes to life with windows login screen.

Edited: 11/07/2013 at 04:55 AM by virduk
 11/07/2013 01:40 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

Given the additional information you've added, it certainly seems that your receiver is doing something strange.  If the TV works plugged in directly, but doesn't via the receiver, I have to conclude that the latter is the problem.

11/07/2013 04:12 PM

Author Icon
virduk
Peon

Originally posted by: Thanny Given the additional information you've added, it certainly seems that your receiver is doing something strange.  If the TV works plugged in directly, but doesn't via the receiver, I have to conclude that the latter is the problem.

But it worked in the past. And the signal passes through with the non amd drivers. Its like the drivers remember some setting for when the receiver is connected.

11/08/2013 10:10 PM

Author Icon
Thanny
Elite

If it's worked in the past, but doesn't with a later driver, then report it to the AMD driver team.  There's a link on the beta download page.

11/27/2013 12:04 AM

Author Icon
virduk
Peon

Originally posted by: Thanny If it's worked in the past, but doesn't with a later driver, then report it to the AMD driver team.  There's a link on the beta download page.

Well...going back to the prior driver didn't help so I don't think its a driver change.

At this point it seems like my only option is to do a Windows 8 Refresh. maybe that will clear all the gunbk and get it working again.

Statistics
84189 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.