Topic Title: 2 cards on same system W600 and Asus HD5870
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/07/2013 05:00 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/07/2013 05:00 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Eleven84
Peon

Hello,I am not a gamer but my system is used for stock trading. I have 8 monitors on one computer with these 2 cards. One powers 6 dell LCD using mini displayport and the other using 2x DVI on 2 samsung lcd.

Originally I had two radeon one 5870 and the other a Visontek 6870 with 6 displayport which had a problem. So I decided to replace that card with a Firepro W600.I had the Catalyst version 13.4 for radeon cards and system was working fine until card failure.

When I started install I followed AMD removal of software procedures and shut down computer when prompted for restart. I removed the faulty 6870 and replaced it with the W600. Booted it up and proceded to install Version Catalyst Pro for Windows 7 64bit 12.104.2 using the express install. After that without doing any configuration for monitors setup I started another install this time of the CCC version 13.4 for radeon HD5870 and used the custom install and installed drivers only for the 5870 unchecking CCC.

At that time I started configuration of 8 monitors using the catalyst Pro. The software could see all 8 monitors and was just a question of arranging displays so they could be used as an extension of windows on all screens with a main display.

Things were good until next reboot where configuration was lost on some displays, meaning their order was messed up, main display was changed, and a couple of Dell monitors would show wrong resolutions or be grayed out (inactive) needed to manually reactivate.I have sent a request to AMD and got response that they do not support this type of configuration of using 2 cards one firepro and one Radeon.

Response : Thank you for your email. This is a not supported configuration. We do not provide technical support on Radeon and FirePro combinations.

On a follow up email response was:

The Catalyst Control Center package for Radeon and FirePro boards are different and that's why they are not compatible together. You need to sacrifice one for the other. The only solution you have is to install the Catalayst Software Suite for FirePro W600 and install the "Display Driver" component for the Radeon HD 5800 manually either thru the one included by the OS or by our web site.However, as I mentioned before this configuration is not supported by us.

So this is what I tried and got some bugs as I explained earlier. Maybe someone who had a similar experience and possibly a better experience without bugs or conflict using other versions of catalyst or drivers can add their expertise to this subject. As of now I have installed the drivers only of both cards using windows and the system is stable except that I can no longer save or adjust specific displays contrast, brightness etc except if I use the monitors setup and do it individually.

I also experience some programs who dont seem to remember where they were last closed so I need to drag them across displays when I reopen them.

If you do have a Firepro or Radeon and work like me with multiple displays do not combine the two unless AMD makes a Catalyst version for both cards at the same time.

I hope this helps a few people as this combo would be rare and hopefully someone will have a better solution.

Edited: 11/07/2013 at 07:42 PM by Eleven84
 11/07/2013 06:58 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Please get a browser different from IE and edit your post and give it some formatting. Reading it in this condition is kind of impossible.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

11/13/2013 08:41 PM

Author Icon
Eleven84
Peon

Much better

11/14/2013 04:02 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

As you don't need gaming cards, nor a Firepro, I suggest you sell them both and get 2 budget cards of the same type. You'll have a supported configuration which is supposed to work without a hitch. And you'll have more money, as those office cards don't cost too much. They can do everything except for gaming performance.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

Statistics
85517 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.