Topic Title: ASUS Radeon HD 7850 1GB and OpenGL
Topic Summary: Poor performance + clock speeds in OpenGL games/apps
Created On: 11/14/2013 08:50 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/14/2013 08:50 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Syncaidius
Peon

I've had a HD 7580 for a while now and ever since the 13.X drivers, the card has had terrible OpenGL performance in every single application that uses it.

This inclues games like Minecraft, Wurm Online, Planetary Annihilation and even Photoshop. The fact that PA runs better on my laptop is quite worrying, and that only has an I5 + Gefore 525M and 4GB ram.

Catalyst reports anything between 0% and 10% GPU usage when running an OpenGL game/app, but never goes any higher.

The clock speeds are also stuck at 300Mhz on the GPU and 150Mhz on the memory.

I've tried every solution possible, such as manually editing the profile xml and setting the low-power clocks to something higher, but every OpenGL program I try with refuses to make use of the extra horsepower.

I've even tried 3rd party programs such as ASUS GPU Tweak and MSI Afterburner to fix the problem, but to no avail.

Because of this, my old HD4850 card performs MUCH better in OpenGL than my HD 7850, which shouldn't be the case. Its the complete opposite when running DirectX-based games/programs, it runs like a dream.

Are there any other HD 7850 owners with this problem? I thought it was fixed months (years?) ago.

EDIT: I've been using the new Beta drivers for the last month, which also hasn't fixed the problem. I'm also currently on Windows 8.1, but the problem still happened in 8.0 too.

11/14/2013 09:27 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Sounds like a borked OS. I'd try a reinstall.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

11/14/2013 10:05 AM

Author Icon
Syncaidius
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee Sounds like a borked OS. I'd try a reinstall.

Already tried that. :/

12/19/2013 09:39 AM

Author Icon
Adambean
Peon

Ah good, this isn't just me then. Also this guy.

I've got a Sapphire R9 280X (Vapor-X) card, and on 13.9, 13.11 beta 4, 13.11 beta 5, and 13.12 the OpenGL performance has been utterly terrible.

I did bring this up with AMD support with this message:

Hi there, I'm writing about some poor performance issues spanning across a few OpenGL based games I use. Mainly Minecraft and Sven Co-op (Half-Life 1 based), but also Natural Selection 2 if I put that on OpenGL mode. GPU is the R9 280X on a Sapphire board (Vapor-X model), and I'm using Catalyst drivers 13.11 (B4). Direct3D games have shown a good performance increase over my previous card so I would suspect the issue is specific to OpenGL applications, however my previous card ran these same games much faster. (nVidia GTX 560T)

First response:

I understand that you have questions regarding performance issue. If this is incorrect, please let me know as the information provided may change.

Now the Beta driver is focus on the performance optimization on D3D.

Would you mind try the 13.9 WHQL driver and see it will make any differences?

If you have any other questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to reply to this e-mail directly and I will try to provide any additional information that you may require. Thank you for contacting AMD!

I downgraded from 13.11 beta 4 to 13.9 and saw no improvement in OpenGL performance. In fact THE only difference I could see is my card is now called a HD 7900 series instead of R9 200 series. I responded with:

Hi there,

Thanks for your quick reply. I've downgraded to 13.9 WHQL driver but there is no improvement with OpenGL performance. Direct3D is the same as it was in 13.11 beta 4.

Got a reply:

Hi Adam Reece,

That’s unusual.

Would you mind take a short time report this issue in detail on our website AMD Issue Reporting Form and we truly hope for that.

Your feedback is helpful and important to our driver improvement, thank you.

I promptly put in an issue report and replied with:

Hi there,

Submitted. As the Radeon R9 280X isn't listed, so I selected HD 7970. (as far as I know it's the same GPU chip?)

If it helps I can take a video with my phone showing the issues with OpenGL. Direct3D is certainly unaffected as I got an average of ~670FPS on the Half-Life 2 video test.

I then noticed that 13.11 beta 5 had been released so I thought I'd give it a go. I did see some slight performance improvements over 13.9 and 13.11 beta 4, but still way off acceptable levels. I then put in this message:

Hi there,

Not sure if you're looking for any additional feedback on driver performance. I updated to 13.11 beta 9.5 a couple of days ago and tried some OpenGL games -- mainly Minecraft, Half-Life, and Natural Selection 2.

On the plus side the frame rates do seem a little better. I've noticed frame rates improve quite well when setting a game to use a true full-screen mode rather than windowed full-screen mode. In Minecraft I was able to achieve a stable frame rate of 60-120 depending on chunk loading activity. Still a long way off my previous card, but much better than the beta 9.4 drivers. Certainly faster than just using a maximized window.

Using VSync in a true full-screen mode is also able to maintain a stable frame rate (60) where as VSync in windowed full-screen mode stutters around 30-40 FPS for some reason -- which also causes noticeable input lag. However because SDL containers in games are becoming much more popular (what with the easy implementation and cross-platform features) only a windowed full-screen mode (as evident by the instant ALT+TAB responses) is becoming increasingly available -- exclusively. This is true in Half-Life, though Natural Selection 2 does still offer a true full-screen mode with faster performance.

Direct3D in windowed full-screen mode appears to be unaffected though, great frame rates in Counter-Strike: Global Offensive and Natural Selection 2. This R9 280X is performing significantly faster than my GeForce GTX 560Ti ever did in this rendering condition.

Got a reply:

Hi Adam Reece,

As you can see when you run the game in windowed mode, the graphic card will spend a part of performance for rendering the windows background (in D3D?), so the frame rate and efficiency will lower than the game run at full screen mode.

Thank you for your feedback :-)

Best regards,

AMD Global Customer Care

None of this really answers the issue that OpenGL performance is especially unsatisfactory considering the processing power available. Though you can improve performance slightly by using a true full-screen mode rather than a windowed full-screen mode not all games have this available. Games that use SDL are certainly moving across to windowed full-screen modes more commonly now. Even still -- windowed or not, the HD 7900 series and R9 200 series are very fast GPU's indeed. The fact that the application is windowed or not should not impact the rendering performance of the game this substantially, especially with older games, and even more so when older slower GPU's handle the same job much faster.

Switching off VSync will also improve the frame rate smoothness, but that kind of defeats part of the point in VSync (no tearing and smooth frame rate with monitor limit).

Updated to 13.12 today. No improvement at all with OpenGL performance, and these drivers are considered a standard release coming with WHQL seal of approval. Clearly something has gone seriously wrong in the driver department. Is it even worth filing a new issue report for these new drivers?

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

12/20/2013 09:20 AM

Author Icon
DimStar
Peon

I am having a similar issue with similar HD7XXX, its got to the point where my only option is to roll back to 9.11 to be able to play older games and reinstall latest drivers just to play battlefield 4.

I have scrolled thru pages and pages, read from atleast 20 different forums but it appears there is no proper solution for this.

For the first time since the 90's i am regretting spending money on AMD hardware.

Older than opengl2.2 will not run correctly on drivers past 9.11

[img]http://i198.photobucket.com/albums/aa310/jpp030/Steam.gif[/img]

Edited: 12/20/2013 at 10:59 AM by DimStar
 12/20/2013 09:30 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: DimStar Older than opengl2.2 will not run correctly on drivers past 9.11

Not quite true. I usually use the atioglxx.dll file from 12.1 for Neverwinter Nights. This is just an example though and probably won't work for cards newer than the 6k series.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/20/2013 11:03 AM

Author Icon
DimStar
Peon

Do you mean to place the dll in the games main directory? (it is mainly games based on id3 i am having issues with) Would i be able to use the dll from 9.11 or maybe some sort of graphics emulator?

12/20/2013 11:58 AM

Author Icon
Adambean
Peon

Does putting DLL's in game folders (next to the EXE) work? I tried this then looked in Process Explorer only to find that the game was using the driver DLL's from system32 (or SysWOW64 for 32-bit games).

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

12/20/2013 12:07 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Putting that one and only dll to the game folder next to the exe works, provided that the driver revision you got it from does support your card.

12/20/2013 12:15 PM

Author Icon
Adambean
Peon

Got it working, looks like for Minecraft they need to go alongside java.exe -- not Minecraft.exe (or MagicLauncher.exe). Now to find out the oldest drivers supporting the HD7970 GPU.

Edit: Looks like 12.4, OpenGL performance is still really bad on those too though.

Thanks,

Adam Reece.

Edited: 12/20/2013 at 12:25 PM by Adambean
 12/20/2013 12:42 PM

Author Icon
DimStar
Peon

9-11_vista64_win7_64_dd_ccc_wdm.exe

Or something close, i wasnt sure about posting links so im sure you can google that. buuuuut i cant find atioglxx.dll in this only  atioglxx.dl_ <- i will assume these are the same, i have my son sorting it out for me now as he seems to know more than i do.

EDIT: My son says i am a noob and showed me this.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2168948

Edited: 12/20/2013 at 12:51 PM by DimStar
Statistics
88806 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.