Topic Title: Radeon 6670, Blue Screen, corrupting computer
Topic Summary:
Created On: 11/27/2013 11:44 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 11/27/2013 11:44 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
moyer24
Peon

My computer recently turned a year old, right at the birthday I started having issues. As soon as windows loaded tothe homescreen, the mouse would start glitching graphically, and then lines upon lines took over the screen. I got the blue screen. I uninstalled, cleaned registries, reinstalled, and still the same. Went through a ton of things I don't recall all of now, and in the process fried my hardddrive.

Fast forward, some thought it might be my harddrive already had an issue and that my graphic card simply would not do that. So I installed a new harddrive. It worked fine until it realized I had a graphic card and installed it automatically. I had been away from the computer and saw the notice.

Immediately all the old problems returned, and it makes my harddrive VERY loud, which it did to my old one too. I do not want to ruin my new graphics card. I basically need to know that my graphics card is utter crap, and then I will replace it. I've seen people come back from the blue screen though, and this time of year, I'd rather save the cash.

Right now I have it uninstalled, and my computer works fine, and is very quiet. Obviously I can't play games etc, just saying graphics wise, no issues.

Blue Screen Image

Graphics Card - Radeon 6670, no overclocking

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History - downloaded from website, have no installation cd to boot from.

Operating System - 64-bit; Windows 7 Service Pack 1

Issue Details -
When windows loads to the homescreen, I can maybe open the start menu if I'm quick, then the mouse gets fuzzy, and lines begin to take over until the entire screen is warbled, the computer freezes, monitor turns black, and then the blue screen (pictured above) comes on, computer restarts with safe mode options.

Computer Specs -
AMD RADEON HD 6670 1GB DDR3 PCIE
WD Black 1TB SATA III 7200 RPM
OEM AMD FX-6100 3.3GHZ  
ASETEK 510LC 120MM WATERCOOLER
CASE FAN 120 MM
GIGABYTE GA-970A-D3 AM3+ CROSSFIRE USB3.0 SATA 3 
CORSAIR CMPSU-600 CX V2 POWER SUPPLY

Edited: 11/27/2013 at 02:11 PM by moyer24
 11/27/2013 12:08 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

You contradict yourself. You mention a home (start?) screen, that only exists on windows 8.x. Then you link a blue screen, which does not exist on 8.x. You misteriously hide your OS info. What's up? Service pack 2 -> Vista?

About the blue screen: Your faulty HDD makes a driver file corrupt, which then fails the digital signature check x64 windows requires. It still looks like a HDD issue, and if it's not the first one, then check your PSU asap. Probably it's giving overvoltage or something.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

11/27/2013 02:14 PM

Author Icon
moyer24
Peon

I wasn't mysteriously hiding my OS, I simply forgot to put it in. I'm actually on Windows 7, service pack 1. Updated the original thread with this info. I suppose desktop is the right word, and not home screen in this instance. I'm not entirely up with the lingo, and am trying to explain things to the best of my ability.

So my brand new, one day old Hardrive is to blame? It doesn't make sense to me, that two hardrives of different manufacturers are the problem. The computer runs fine without the video card installed, but as soon as it's added in, I get all these issues.

How do I check my PSU? It's not something I've messed around with before. I appreciate the help.

11/27/2013 02:29 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

The best way to check a suspect PSU is borrowing another one from a friend. If everything is fine with the borrowed PSU, then the original must be broken.

I suspect that the PCIe power line and the standard molex/sata lines may interfer with each other inside the PSU due to some part being broken.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

11/27/2013 02:39 PM

Author Icon
moyer24
Peon

With the suggestion of PSU, I started reading, and it does sound likely as the culprit. Saw mention of the fuzzy graphics/mouse which I definitely get.

I do not have anyone with a spare one, so I'm looking to replace the part out. Should I buy the exact same PSU that I have currently? Or do you have a suggestion?

With the possible interferring with the PCIe and sata lines, would replacing the PSU be sufficent to solve that?

11/27/2013 02:52 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Well, I wouldn't spend money before making sure. But that's just me. Is there really not a single geek among friends and family? No one who can remove the PSU from their computer and give it to you for an hour? Strange.

To answer your questions, I wouldn't suggest a PSU as whatever I'd say I'd get flamed (not by you). There have been a "let's recommend a PSU" war ongoing on the internet for a few years. I wish to be out of it. Replacing the faulty unit (if it is indeed faulty) should give you normal function. You may need to replace/reformat the HDD if it's somehow damaged.

However, before doing or replacing anything, do your own research and thinking. I'm just a stranger from the internet.

11/27/2013 09:09 PM

Author Icon
moyer24
Peon

Thank you, I appreciate your help. We just relocated to a new state and are 15 hours away from the closest friend/family member. So I used to have access to such things, but not currently.

I have been looking into the PSU, going to see if there are any deals for Black Friday. I appreciate you pointing it out, I was thinking it was my HD that was making a lot of noise, but upon looking into it, looks like it is the PSU. I haven't opened it up to see, but I saw it was a symptom. As soon as my graphic card is installed, it starts making a ton of noise, disabled, restart, no noise.

I can't do the furmark test or anything of that nature, and it looks like the PSU can be for fault not just the grahpic card. Looks like PSU can cause all sorts of issues that make you think one thing when it's really that.

Is there are a particular reason why you don't believe it could be the actual graphic card? I originally tried some local places, and they were rather rude, and they all denied it could be the graphic card too, and I just don't know what I'm missing that screams (apparently?) that it's not the actual card? (Trying to be more savvy!)

12/15/2013 04:57 PM

Author Icon
moyer24
Peon

Ok, back for more help.

I have now replaced my HD, and my PSU. And still getting a distorted screen. I haven't gotten a blue screen since I installed my PSU, the screen goes incredibly distorted (looks like blinds, honestly), and then freezes. I imagine if I just kept it there, it'd tell me it stopped my computer from corrupting more hardware, or I suppose it'd just corrupt something more. 

At this point, is it my video card? Feel like I've nearly replaced the entire system, and so beyond frustrated, it is just over a year old, and I just want to use my computer.

Statistics
88846 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 4 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.