Topic Title: AMD HD7850 OC CCC 13.3 problem
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/11/2013 02:12 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/11/2013 02:12 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
amdrules23
Peon

Over the past wee while I have been getting BSODS(Blue Screens of death) when my ati driver whould be completely shut down.

Apon getting into windows through CCC under amd overclock I see my GPU(AMD HD7850) is up at 98 99 percent activity.

Oddly enough today I reinstall my driver and sidebar.exe stops working so I think hold on what is this Sidebar.exe I found it through taskmanager and found it lived in my java folder apon deleting it and reinstalling java the problem is now solved.

I don't know why this would cause such a problem but AMD should look into it no program should be able to ramp up your GPU usage that high and even at some points to where windows stops the driver. 

Hopefully I get no more BSODS I'm sure ive solved the problem but will report back if this happens.

12/11/2013 07:34 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Sidebar.exe is the host for desktop gadgets. If you had a different one, it was probably malware.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/11/2013 09:31 PM

Author Icon
amdrules23
Peon

Apon trying everything possible and still don't know the main cause of the problem.

seems I solved it. I had to reseat the card and while I was at it I thought seeing as I just added a new Hard drive lately it may be using too much power off that one rail. Or that the card was loose for some reason.

Now Im using a different pci express power cable from my power supply seems the problem is fixed.

Yay no more driver crashing.

Ill keep an eye on it still the one game I could play to make the problem come back is starcraft 2.

Edit as of today at 12/12/2013 I can say now with most certainty the problem above is fixed.

Second update 12/14/2013 I keep noticing these weird .exes like the sidebar.exe one i found it above in a folder where java is installed.

Today I found my driver playing up again and the GPU up at 99 percent again. Gpu clock at 920mhz and temperature up at 50 degrees. I found it weird that when I reinstalled the driver yet another program closed this one was called Chrome.exe I thought this was also weird because google chrome was not open. Apon looking in task manager again found out this exe was hiding in the appdata roaming folder.

Its clear these are the problem because when you end the little application and delete the exe's the problem no longer occurs. Who knew it was that easy to take control of someones graphics card and it seems its purely to annoy people unless the attacker is using a gpus processing power for some reason.

Please AMD make your drivers more secure.

Edited: 12/13/2013 at 08:04 AM by amdrules23
Statistics
88813 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.