Topic Title: Upgrade NEW GPU + CCC 3.9 - 3.11betaV9.4 judder playback windvd 10 pro opinions !?
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/12/2013 06:01 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/12/2013 06:01 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
metagondria
Peon

Hello,

First i like to say that i have had an small stutter / judder problem watching dvd movies in windvd 10 pro with my previous card (hd6870 VTX) too.

But it wos like very small microstutter and only every 5 - 10 mins especially in panned scenes.

Not realy frustrating to watch ...

But now, i have upgraded my hardware from hd6870 to an HD7950 OC sapphire 3GB VRAM.

It's an lovely card that has PASSED SEVERal Benchmark → STRESS TESTS..

So, i think i pretty much can exclude hardware failure...

The most FRUSTRATING thing i have now since i use my new card is that i have a SERIOUS... almost SLOWDOWN judder (not stutter) every 10 - 15 mins and again in panned scenes u know.

Scenes in which the camera moves from the left to the right or vice versa !!

I watch my dvd content through windvd with the options ALL2hd + DNM = best quality for very smooth playback .... most of the time that is !!

Hence, the frustration to watch first an perfectly playing moving with judder now and then !!!

I did ALLOT and i do mean LOTS to pinpoint the root of the problem....

like:

1. Gpu drivers

2. Audio drivers

3.process illimination

4. setting Process / memory / I/O → priority to high- normal setups (using processlasso program)

5. Disabled / enabled options through catalyst center like pulldown, smooth playback etc...

6. Monitor refresh rate is exact the same as what windvd needs to process All2hd + dnm feature wich is 60hz  ...  when DNM is set to OFF the dvd play at only 50hz (pal) ...

7.yep benchmarked my system for hours → result rock solid.

System specs:

PHenom II x4 965BE

DDR2-800 (pc6400)

Sapphire GPU HD7950 Factory Overclocked ONLY

Kingston SSD KC300 / 240GB AHCI → ati driver = superiour performance to that of official m$ default ahci driver according to ssd benchmarks i have done

Also, my FuLL HDTV is connected to my card through an special rather THICK hdmi cable 1.4a for → Full3D support in the future.

But doing all that work didn't help much fixing this issue !!!

Now, what realy is interesting is the fact that i dont have this issue anymore JUST and ONLY when i install the gpu driver + hdmi audio driver only.

I.e.... removing CCC (catalyst center) pretty much fixes this issue ..

I have it maybe just once AND I DO MEAN ONCE watching an full lenght movie of 2hours..

Whereas with CCC installed it occured every 10- 15 mins isgust; !!!!

So, i pretty much convinced given the fact that my problem almost goes away by removing catalyst center from my system that something / some setting in CCC is enterfering with the smooth dvd playback...

I just dont know what that COULD BE ?

Any one , any suggestions ?

THANKS in ADVANCE

-------------------------

• CPU = AMD PHENOM II X4 965BE @ 4.0Ghz

• GPU = HD7950 3GB Sapphire Factory OC

• PSU = OCZ 700 Watt / ModXstream Pro - Sli

• DDR2 = 4x2GB / PC6400

• SSD = Kingston KC300 / 240GB

• HOBO = M3A32-MVP Deluxe

• OS = Windows 7 Ultimate x64

12/12/2013 06:11 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

WinDVD and PowerDVD died with XP. Try MPC-HC.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/12/2013 06:23 AM

Author Icon
metagondria
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee WinDVD and PowerDVD died with XP. Try MPC-HC.

U preffer MPC above windvd/powerdvd !?

Seriously...

Though MPC-HC is an fine software player... it doesnt support blu-ray for instance ..

But the most important reason i stick to Windvd 10 pro is that MPC-HC hasnt the DNM = Digital Natural Motion feature for perfect smooth playback... especially in panned scenes !!!

True, maybe using FFdshow using Avisynth script will achieve that ... but its to much hassle to achieve pretty much the same thing windvd can .. most of the time...

U might notice that i fixate on using windvd 10 pro and not windvd11 even though they have both upscaling feature...

Only difference is , they TOTALY screwed up the METHOD of enhanced playback in windvd 11  !!!!

Indeed, in my opinion windvd died aswell → SINCE version 11 ....  

windvd 11 = GARBAGE .... TOTALY... Good lord

But please... i dont want any software player suggestions..

I just want to sort out any possible settings in ccc or otherwise that might cause that JUdder playback problem !!!!

I know ... it may something to do with the way audio/video synchronisation is handled aswell.... maybe need to encrease buffer there .... if that is possible through registry hack/ hex edit driver !!

Or maybe using Default MS High definition sound drivers...

1 thing is for sure, sound processing through os might be as important as video decoding if not more important.

It seems to be from such importancy that the process AudioDG.exe in taskmanager is locked and cant change the priority lol !?

Even though iam logged in as administrator and used elevated rights !!!

So maybe thats the only thing left for me to try... is to use MS default driver for that part !!

hmm...

• DDR2 = 4x2GB / PC6400

Edited: 12/12/2013 at 07:01 AM by metagondria
 12/12/2013 08:09 AM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Have you tried ReClock?

Personally, I was a fan of WinDVD until I stumbled upon madVR and LAV...  pair those two with ReClock and you have the best PQ for any type of content.  I go all out to acheive the best PQ.  I have custom resolutions set up to ensure a 1:1 pixel match on my Plasma (it's a 2007 with rectangular pixels, 1024x768) with refresh rates of 60 Hz and 72 Hz.  I let madVR upscale or downscale to monitor resolution depending on the source content.  ReClock then ensures that all content is either played back at 24 fps or 30 fps with madVR switching to the corresponding TV refresh rate (24 fps played back at 72 Hz and 30 fps played back at 60 Hz)  Nothing beats it...

But if you are dead set on using an inferior renderer (pretty sure WinDVD uses EVR) at least try ReClock.  It is designed to help with issues like you descibe.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

CPU: AMD FX-8350.||.Cooler: Corsair H80i
MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
Case: CoolerMaster HAF 932.||.PSU: Corsair HX750
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

12/12/2013 11:34 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: metagondria it doesnt support blu-ray for instance ..

Probably it never will and for a good reason. More and more computers come without an optical drive. There really is no excuse for buying physical discs in the 21st century...

However, I'm not here for trolling, so here are some suggestions:

- Try different CCC settings. Look through the video section. There are picture enhancer features, enforced smooth playback etc. Turn them on, turn them off, see if anything helps.

- CCC installs a bunch of system services. Try stopping them and see if your playback magically gets better.

- What happens if you just quit (kill the process) CCC but don't uninstall it?

These are more like diagnostic things, to pinpoint the issue/bug.

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/12/2013 12:44 PM

Author Icon
metagondria
Peon

@slayer..

LIke i have mentioned in my first post... i HAVE DONE LOTS of things ... try out reclock INCLUDED..

Guess what.... latest revision of reclock just freez when windvd starts up !!!

Reclock shows a window alright but doesnt let me choose and closes after 10 secs -_-

have tried several compatibility settings for reclock .. but iam sure its more of an Windvd + reclock clash then anything else ...

Because when installing reclock i had the option to install preconfigured setups for powerdvd and cyberlink and such but NO OPTION for windvd releases  !!

That on its own indicates that reclock either doesnt support windvd or dropped compatibility for it !!!

I have been using MPclassic like for ever... but only to for avisynth uses like encoding decoding (.avs) ... never to watch movies from original dvd source.

Because i didn't like the quality ... like colors didnt seem quite right and i saw all sorts of other noise in the movie i didnt had with windvd !!!

But yeah... ever since eydee suggested to try out MPC-Hc i did some research and experimented with it to achieve the same thing like i always have had using windvd.

And INDEED, using MadvR as renderer and the usefullness of the Options (like → smooth rendering playback wot i wos looking for  &larr combined with mpc-hc gave me nice results so far ....

But ... tis not as smooth as windvd ... just yet .... but maybe i get better luck using reclock + mpc .... (holding fingers accrossed)

@eyeddee

trying different settings is the first thing i did , i have mentioned that in my first or 2nd post ...

I know those enhencemants in ccc center can have an reverse affect of what iam trying to achieve...

Although, using windvd + All2hd +dnm is actually something that is CPU depended rather then gpu affiliated !?

Since, All2hd doesnt work with gpu acceleration !!!

One thing, i can check out is to kill ccc process instead of removing it...

But isnt that the same thing !?

My goal is to keep CCC running in the background , so i can use other custom options i need for games !!!

But yeah i see what u mean, killing the process temporarely so i can watch an movie in the way its meant to be i guess...

And, iam curious if that will do the trick.... shutting down all ccc services except display ofcourse... wich

And yes... it is indeed an tiresome process to pinpoint the cause of all this....

You don't wanna know how long i have searched and how much i have done to narrow down the root of this headache !!!

Thanks to u all for ur input..

• DDR2 = 4x2GB / PC6400

12/12/2013 11:00 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

ReClock will work with any app that does video playback...  you don't need to install any of the pre-configured stuff...  if you need help configuring it I can post my settings.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

MB: Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7.||.RAM: 8 GB Mushkin Blackline DDR3 2000MHz (7-10-8-27-1T)
GPU:Asus R9 270X DirectCU II TOP.||.Audio: Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro w/ Logitech Z-5300e (5.1, 280W-RMS)
System Drive: 2xSamsung 840 Pro 128GB RAID0.||.Working Drive: 2xMushkin Chronos 60GB RAID0

12/13/2013 06:36 PM

Author Icon
metagondria
Peon

Originally posted by: QB the Slayer ReClock will work with any app that does video playback...  you don't need to install any of the pre-configured stuff...  if you need help configuring it I can post my settings.

QB

Well to be honest Reclock + WINDVD is Rubbish and no go !!

Reclock supposed to detect the video player (ask and load screen)..

But instead i get that nagging screen for like 10sec to see but i CANT Choose anything.!!!

during those 10 secs my whole system hangs , and after the countdown windvd loads fine but reclock is nowhere to be found !!

Probebly shutdown itself ...

No IAM done with reclock....

Cuz...

I have found MY HOLY GRAIL ... something that does precisely THE EXACT THING that windvd does... maybe EVEN BETTER ...

I have did some research and stumbled on → "SmoothVideo Project" ←

THIS WOS EXACT THE THING I WOS LOOKING FOR

I knew this wos the thing i wos looking for because it supports madvr + mpc-hc and those last two are included in the smoothvideo install .

So i thought, this cant possible go WRONG and i gave it an spin ..

(sorry for the big lettertype up there..hit an keycombination .. but not sure which!! also, the reply user interface is ackward here .. can't seem to find lettertype and size anywhere !!!)

Anyway, i have noticed that smoothvideo project FREquently gets updated with new revisions too.

So, i installed the application created an custom profile for my 1080p desktop resolution and WoW... just Wow.... iam Blown away of how SMOOOOOOTH the video play's k

I woud even say, WAY SMOOTHER then WINDVD !!

Thats what i call TRUE FRAME MOTION INTERPOLATION ...

SERiously.. REaly... iam VERY VERY HAPPY the way MPC play's ... now...

And on top of AlL its TOTALY FREE... 

That said, IAM DEFENITELY gonna DONATE to that person or team behind this project..

This project DESERVES every Penny of it...

Iam sorry admin if i step my bounds here, but iam so exhilarated with joy that i cant help it but post the → link to that site where i found this jewel for those who are eager to test it...

REaly ... this realy a nice adition to mpc-hc for those who likes to watch not just any movie, but random files ..avi, MKV,mpeg.. etc with frame interpolation ...

Also, u can choose the motion aswell from lil smooth to MAX smooth (2x framerate ) etc ... realy... wow...

Though, i have an powerfull PHENOM II X4 965BE @4.1 GHZ ... and errr lol

This feature takes bites quite an CHUNCK out of my processor capacity/performance...!!!

Realy, a word to the wise ....

to those who want to make an jump of leap and try this.... WATCH ur CPU LOADS and more important temperature !!!!

... i think now i can DIE as an happy person

Thanks all for the help..

• DDR2 = 4x2GB / PC6400

Edited: 12/13/2013 at 06:46 PM by metagondria
 12/13/2013 11:53 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

Ugh...  SVP is okay if you like the soap opera look (far too much post processing, I prefer my video un-touched until it reaches the renderer and then let madVR do only a resize).  As for ReClock, all you need to do is set it up to use Direct Sound and in WinDVD (if you want to use an inferior app for playback, LOL) set the audio renderer to ReClock...  then there is a couple of other settings, but as soon as WinDVD calls for the audio renderer, ReClock does it's work.... 

Anyway, if you ever change your mind and want to watch video as it's meant to be watched, feel free to drop me a PM...  I use a very simple setup:  Player=PotPlayer, A/V filters=LAV, Video renderer=madVR, Audio renderer=ReClock

However, as long as your happy, keep at it 

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

12/20/2013 06:25 PM

Author Icon
metagondria
Peon

Originally posted by: QB the Slayer   As for ReClock, all you need to do is set it up to use Direct Sound and in WinDVD (if you want to use an inferior app for playback, LOL) set the audio renderer to ReClock...  then there is a couple of other settings, but as soon as WinDVD calls for the audio renderer, ReClock does it's work.... 

Anyway, if you ever change your mind and want to watch video as it's meant to be watched, feel free to drop me a PM...  I use a very simple setup:  Player=PotPlayer, A/V filters=LAV, Video renderer=madVR, Audio renderer=ReClock

However, as long as your happy, keep at it 

QB

Hmm.... no go... and i think i have tried all sorts of settings in Reclock to make it work with windvd!!

But the freak still hangs and after 10 secs the app dies an silent dead !!

And windvd survives ...!

No, i dont want to get to know yet another application ..  its either windvd or mpc-hc + svp....

Else , theres no end to what i have to do to get it ONE day RIGHT !!!

Cuz ... i dont think pot players has that Digital motion feature that svp and windvd has!!

So... i stick to mpc-hc because thats the default player svp uses anyway..

And svp still needs some work .. so i wont complicate things by choosing another app to work in tandem with SVP !!!

However, if you got other JUICY suggestions to get reclock to work with windvd.

IaM ALL EARS,

Truly yours,

metagondria

• DDR2 = 4x2GB / PC6400

12/24/2013 09:26 PM

Author Icon
QB the Slayer
Master Looter

I do ZERO post processing of my video...  I watch my videos the way they are meant to be watched...  ie. the way they are filmed.  Motion blur is part of the filming process, you can not eliminate it with 24 fps cameras...  anyway I sent off a PM with my ReClock settings and some more info.

QB

The MONSTER HTPC:

12/24/2013 11:10 PM

Author Icon
metagondria
Peon

Well there you have it... you said it yourself sports are captured at an faster framerate.

And if you ask me sports are captured at faster framerate just and because its more detailed  and oh yeah SMOOTH to WATCH → NO MORE STUTTERS/JUDDER playback ehh..

And isnt that just the thing that has (and maybe sill) hurts us the most using an pc → software sollution to watch stuff!

Iam very fond of frame interpolation because of the smooth playback results !!

Take an HDTV screen for example... they haven't experimenting with True motion for nothing over the years you know...

And still they havent got it quite right (depending which Settings u choose)

You say, you want to watch stuff in the way its meant to be!!

But tell me this, in real life when u watching your surroundings .. (home, sky etc)

DO YOU SEE EVERYTHING IN LIKE 25/30 Frames Per second happening arround you !!??

I sincerely hope NOT !!  unless you like to live your life like an movie pictar

Anyway, have tried and played with the settings in reclock you have posted me..

But allas !!!  The dam thing refuse to obey ..

Tis rubbish...

EDIT = SOLVED → i got Windvd + reclock to work... i just had to add windvd.exe to reclock white list manualy and set reclock to always load windvd whitout interuption...

so i dont get that nagging screen which caused reclock to shutdown in the first place and wos therefore USELESS untill now..

And that did the trick so it seems

EDIT 2 = ...  wel finaly i get reclock to work with windvd... but now i have to pause playback and hit the play button to get the sound to work through windvd !!!

And this time , thats ↑ the only way to get to hear the sound !!!  REgardless of what settings in reclock

Ah screww it... i stick to mpc-hc + ffdshow +svp = period....

The quality and → smooth playback ← is hundred times better...

The only thing that needs to be improved is the menu navigation in mpc-hc....!! 

But i guess thats more of an FFDshow issue then anything else !!!

Lots of blackscreens , and overlay issues in menu's ... but fortunately movies or episodes play just fine whitout 1 frame drop SMOOTHIE phewww..

Even.. tested 1080p HD material + SVP = SMOOOTHIE   ... But that HD + svp combo especially tOOK allot of my systems resources... especialy the CPU and not so much the gpu usage which peaks arround 25 - 35 % tops...

While my cpu Amd phenom II x4 965 oc@4.1ghz is peaking arround 98-99 load watching hd stuff + svp lol

But even so... Iam still an happy customer watching HD+SVP as smooth as possible whitout 1 single frame drop and NOMORE stutter/judder..

SVP= REaly MUST HAVE ppl... uhuh .. 

atleast you ought to try it out atleast once before you go to a better place alright..

regular DVD's just still use arround 30 - 40 % cpu load using mpc+svp...

Add to that Kernel bob deinterlacer for some heavy interlaced video material i have here... and the cpu load peaks at 60 - 70% lol

Though Kernel deinterlacer is CPU demanding, kernel bob to me looks the best and MOST IMPORTANT of all 0,0 stutter dejuder..

I know... why still the stutter when you have SVP (smoot video project) already running...

Well , my experience learned that at some → SPECIFIC SCENES ← at SPECIFIC time frames .. especialy PANNED SCENES you know moving from right to left and vice versa the smooth video playback STILL tends to Judder..

That is ONLY when i watch heavy interlaced TV episode DVD discs !!

I have learned thats because of the VIDEO → SOURCE ← to HEAVILY interlaced ... 

So, THAT too i have solved by using additional SW deinterlacer

And sure enough... LO and BEHOLD ... once AGAIN STUTTER/JITTER/JUDDER double hobble free giggles

Cuz, with movies i DONT HAVE THAT problem ... not ANY movie so far...

And weird enough.. i dont need to use additional SW deinterlacers too while watching movies...  Only need addition SW deinterlacers for some specific DVD TV episode discs ..!!  I know... either the material is partial interlaced or ... the hw deinterlacing is working for only 1 field of the frame  .. if that makes sense!!

Becausee... my gpu  hw deinterlacer settings is set to Motion Vector adaptive !! .. 

Yet tis as if the Weave method is used while watching those episode discs... !!!

Cuz i still see the scan lines whitout the use of additional SW deinterlacer !!!

thanks anyway,

• DDR2 = 4x2GB / PC6400

Edited: 12/25/2013 at 12:29 AM by metagondria
 12/26/2013 09:03 AM

Author Icon
Leucius
Peon

If I'm not mistaken, you mentioned PAL which means you're in Europe, and also mentioned your playback was set to 60fps.

I just read an article about the new MS system having issues in PAL territories because it sets itself to 60fps and PAL renders in 50 fps.

I skimmed through the thread, and apparently you resolved the issue, but 60 fps playback on a 50fps display WILL cause stuttering such as you described.

12/31/2013 08:48 AM

Author Icon
metagondria
Peon

Originally posted by: Leucius but 60 fps playback on a 50fps display WILL cause stuttering such as you described.

THAT ↑ i can understand... since the refresh rate is less then the actualy output fps ..

But i dont see why it woud stutter when you have an headroom of 10FPS, namely 50 playback → on a 60 hz = 10 fps buffer sort of speak !!

Furthermore, my playback is just NOT as SMOOTH when my screen its refresh rate is the same as the video sourc = pal = 50hz !!

actualy its making things wurse !!!   The video/audio playback in windvd is even geting out of sync EVEN THOUGH THE SCREEN REFRESH RATE IS EXACTLY THE SAME AS THE FRAMRATE FROM THE VIDEO (PAL=50 !!!)

That ↑ is baffling !!

So therefor and like i have mentioned before, my experience thought me that its best to set the screen refresh rate as high as possible ..

Because me thinks you have an buffer to avoid dropped frames or whatever its causing to get the video/audio out of sync when you match the refresh rate to the actuall speed of the video material ... you know !!

NOW to get back on topic... about the judder playback in windvd !!

The judder still happends in windvd when i install Catalyst center and all its bells and whistles !!!

I did try to end some processes in task manager like catalyst center and such , to mimic the same enviroment as if you woud install and use only the graphics driver ...

but it doesnt seem to work like that ..!!

Only when i choose to install ONLY and i do mean ONLY the Grahpics driver + hdmi audio driver ... windvd play nice !!!

Currently have updated the drivers to the lastest "final stable" version which is 13.12...

haven't test the behaviour in windvd using the lastest drivers yet ..

cheers

• DDR2 = 4x2GB / PC6400

Edited: 12/31/2013 at 08:54 AM by metagondria
Statistics
84170 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.