Topic Title: Screen flickering with 13.12
Topic Summary: Using 7970 Ghz edition and Windows 8.1
Created On: 12/18/2013 07:34 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/18/2013 07:34 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
7900s
Peon

I've tried updating to the beta drivers since the last stable release a few times, but always had screen flicker problems, so I thought I'd wait for an official release. However, even the current release makes my screen flicker.

I've updated the drivers to 13.12, non-beta on Windows 8.1 and a single 7970Ghz edition (CPU's VGA is disabled, I'm using a single monitor connected through DVI). The screen still flickers. I don't even have to be in game. My screen flickers when doing pretty much anything from time to time (every few seconds it flickers once or twice).

It works when I reversed to 13.9, though, so I have to assume the problem is with the drivers.

12/18/2013 07:44 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Proves what we say all the time, that it's only the WHQL signature, otherwise beta and non-beta are identical. There is no stable and unstable build.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

12/19/2013 09:16 AM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

Originally posted by: 7900s I've tried updating to the beta drivers since the last stable release a few times, but always had screen flicker problems, so I thought I'd wait for an official release. However, even the current release makes my screen flicker.

I've updated the drivers to 13.12, non-beta on Windows 8.1 and a single 7970Ghz edition (CPU's VGA is disabled, I'm using a single monitor connected through DVI). The screen still flickers. I don't even have to be in game. My screen flickers when doing pretty much anything from time to time (every few seconds it flickers once or twice).

It works when I reversed to 13.9, though, so I have to assume the problem is with the drivers.

I'm glad you posted.  I just finished going through a maddening experience just as you described.  Rather than installing this 13.12 version and reenacting the scene, I'll stay put. 

In my case, I am running two 7970s in CrossFireX.  The easiest test I have here to see the flickering is Skyrim water rendering.  After a complete uninstall of the beta drivers and reinstalling 13.9, the display is better.  I don't want to say perfect because there are still some transient issues with screen corruption and I believe the phenomenon of micro stuttering is still evident in certain scenes.

Skyrim uses a lot of high resolution textures, and I see GPU memory usage almost completely saturated.  Don't know if that matters, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Crosshair V Formula, AMD FX 8350 @4.8GHz, Radeon HD 7970 DiamondMM CrossFireX,  CoolerMaster 1200W SilentProGold, GSkill TridentX 2400MHz (2x8GB)

12/19/2013 10:40 AM

Author Icon
woodsy7909
Peon

Originally posted by: gr8sho
Originally posted by: 7900s I've tried updating to the beta drivers since the last stable release a few times, but always had screen flicker problems, so I thought I'd wait for an official release. However, even the current release makes my screen flicker.

I'm glad you posted.  I just finished going through a maddening experience just as you described.  Rather than installing this 13.12 version and reenacting the scene, I'll stay put. 

In my case, I am running two 7970s in CrossFireX.  The easiest test I have here to see the flickering is Skyrim water rendering.  After a complete uninstall of the beta drivers and reinstalling 13.9, the display is better.  I don't want to say perfect because there are still some transient issues with screen corruption and I believe the phenomenon of micro stuttering is still evident in certain scenes.

Skyrim uses a lot of high resolution textures, and I see GPU memory usage almost completely saturated.  Don't know if that matters, but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Water Flicking in Skyrim is a bug with the game engine. Using any type of MSAA will make the problem worse, especially if your going over 60 FPS

Best bet is to cap FPS at 60, Disable in game MSAA and use a SMAA injector to smooth jaggies...MSAA cause water flicking in Skyrim on both Nvidia and AMD cards..its just a bug in the game engine.

12/19/2013 01:39 PM

Author Icon
gr8sho
Peon

Originally posted by: woodsy7909

Water Flicking in Skyrim is a bug with the game engine. Using any type of MSAA will make the problem worse, especially if your going over 60 FPS

Best bet is to cap FPS at 60, Disable in game MSAA and use a SMAA injector to smooth jaggies...MSAA cause water flicking in Skyrim on both Nvidia and AMD cards..its just a bug in the game engine.

I'm okay with what you say (engine bug), but my testing was very straightforward in comparing 13.9 with 13.11.  With the former, water is perfect.  With the latter the flicker and inability to properly render makes the game too painful.  Testing was done with standard profiles, no tweaking.  I even used Rapter to see if that changed anything because of the supposed optimizations and I saw no difference.

Besides, for a 2011 vintage game on 2011 vintage hardware, I doubt a newer driver will make that much difference.

Crosshair V Formula, AMD FX 8350 @4.8GHz, Radeon HD 7970 DiamondMM CrossFireX,  CoolerMaster 1200W SilentProGold, GSkill TridentX 2400MHz (2x8GB)

01/01/2014 03:23 PM

Author Icon
baholete
Peon

Registered to post in this thread as i suffer from the same problem as the thread maker (also using a 7970Ghz@1.1 factory oc). I have tried every single beta version lately and all had this issue. And every single time i have submitted a ticket to AMD describing this issue. And it looks like every single time they gave 0 ***** about it. Thanks AMD

01/02/2014 04:22 AM

Author Icon
Ragnador
Peon

For me it is definitly a voltage problem.

Possible zero core or something.

After reducing my idle clock of 300 (7870 pcs+) to 270 [possible i could have done less then 30 mhz reduce, but didnt wanted to test since i dont need clock power in idle].

The flickering is away. This idea came to mind since the flickering disapeared when my gpu was above 30°C and came back after gaming session after getting under 30°C. Other people told me that fixed voltage was disabling the problem too[resulting in higher temps above 30°C]

This looked for me like a voltage prob. So with reducing the clock i was able bypass this error without more stress on videocard.

Possible this problem only occurs since i used an own build fan which cooled my card under 30°C in idle - not planned by manufacturer.

And for others: Possible new driver let the cards run cooler in idle or gives less voltage?

I used this tool do change my bios.

----------------------------- !!! You loose warranty if you do a bios flash without permission of manufacturer !!! -----------------------------

Dont use Bios flash if you dont have a Bios switch or know how to safe a bricked card with start disk (Winflash is unstable with windows 8.0 8.1 and will not work on a bricked card)

http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/vbe7-vbios-editor-for-radeon-hd-7000-series-cards.189089/

Edited: 01/02/2014 at 04:59 AM by Ragnador
 01/07/2014 09:56 PM

Author Icon
Metro
Peon

I have the exact same setup and issue. It's not unique to Windows 8.1 either as it happens to me in Ubuntu as well. This is the first AMD card I have ever purchased, but if they can't make drivers that work correctly, it will be the last AMD card I ever purchase.

Statistics
84704 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 1 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.