Topic Title: System stuttering + flickering with new drivers
Topic Summary:
Created On: 12/31/2013 02:44 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 12/31/2013 02:44 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Smac3223
Peon

GPU - Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 GHz Edition 3GB

Drivers - 13.12

OS - Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

Motherboard - ASUS Maximus III Gene

PSU - OCZ ModXStream Pro 700W

CPU - Intel i5-760 Lynnfield 2.8GHz Quad-Core

RAM - G.Skill Ripjaw (12GB total)

I've had my computer for about 2 years now. Last year I upgraded to a Radeon 7970 Sapphire 3GB model from an Nvidia GTX 460.
Since then it's worked fine and all has been good. However, Christmas I got a new SSD to install (My first one ever) and thus I formatted my old hard drive, installed windows 7 onto the SSD and all was well. The problem in question arose when I installed the latest drivers however.

I use two monitors, one via a mini-hdmi and the other through a DVI. Again, this has worked just fine all year long. My secondary monitor, on the left started getting this odd little flickering that stretches the length of the screen at the very bottom. It's not major or anything but it IS distracting. In addition at times I feel like my computer is stuttering along. Mouse movement just doesn't seem as smooth as it did before. I even completely uninstalled my drivers and removed all folders + registry remains and noticed the computer went back to normal. Smooth mouse/window movement. No flickering. But sadly upon RE-installing the AMD drivers the problems came right back...I've tried looking up this issue online but most people seem to have this sort of problem but in a different variation in that it either flickers across the middle of their screen or their screen "shakes". Oddly enough I saw someone mention that when "Youtube" was open and running a video that the problems stopped.

Lo' and behold when I open a video the computer runs fine again. No flickering and everything's smooth.
Does anyone know what sort of problem this is or how to remedy it? I'm seriously considering finding what driver I installed last year and using that again seeing as how this problem didn't exist then. Anyway any help/advice any of you can provide it'll be much appreciated.

Also not sure if it matters or not but the "performance" section of the CCC section has been left untouched. All default values at the moment

12/31/2013 05:41 PM

Author Icon
UcouldBrong
Case Modder

You may find the SSD Optimization Guide & Windows 7 Optimization Guide found on SSD Review informative and beneficial.

The next drivers will hopefully address many of our issues.

-------------------------

Non-noob components.

12/31/2013 06:17 PM

Author Icon
Smac3223
Peon

Gracias for the guide, has some tweaks I wasn't aware of, lol

Is there any ETA on when the "next drivers" will be coming? This issue is insanely annoying.

EDIT: Using MSI Afterburner I've discovered if I up the core clock from it's default 850 to 950, this stuttering stops and my computer runs smooth again. However interestingly enough when I use the "Reset" button to set it back to 850, the problem DOESN'T come back until I restart the computer.

What's odd to me is when I tried doing just this via the CCC, it didn't solve a thing....but for some reason with MSI Afterburner it does. o_O

Edited: 12/31/2013 at 06:37 PM by Smac3223
 01/02/2014 05:01 AM

Author Icon
Ragnador
Peon

Possible you activated fixed voltage in afterburner.

see:

http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=454&threadid=170239&enterthread=y

Statistics
89070 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 2 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.