Topic Title: Screen tearing on Duplicate Mode
Topic Summary:
Created On: 01/08/2014 07:56 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/08/2014 07:56 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
MisterGrouik
Peon

Hi !

I have two monitors on duplicate mode.

Here's my config.

-Radeon 6950HD

-Catalyst 13.12

-My TV connected via HDMI cable

-My PC monitor connected via HDMI (monitor) to DVI (GPU)

So the deal is when I activate Duplicate mode, there's just one line of tearing on my PC Monitor located on the 1/4 of the top screen. It's visible when I drag any window on my desk. As soon as i desactivate my TV on CCC, the tearing completely disappears.

I tried the option "Make preferred" for both of my Input on CCC. Didn't work.

I tried old catalyst (11.4). The problem is transfered to the TV instead of my monitor.

I tried turning off ATI Overdrive. Didn't work.

So what should I do ?

Thanks !

01/10/2014 04:42 PM

Author Icon
flut
Peon

hehe i'm no expert but this is completly normal. you can fix this by setting your tv to "primair display device". to do this.

- enter ati control panel, click the tab "my digital flat panels" and look for a tab "set primair display device (or something). then set your tv as primair.

if this option is not there (for some reason). simply go to "desktop management" still inside the amd control panel and right click on one of the displays and the "primair function" should be at one of the displays.

a method i personally use for gaming is simply disable your monitor (in windows screen resolutions - > display - > disable (display 1 or 2, so your monitor or put out the cable of your monitor lol ....

if all of the above things don't work simply switch your dvi cables or whatever cable u be using and put the cable in DVI SLOT 1 into SLOT 2 and 2 in 1.

lol it should solve your problem. happy gaming.

greetings, flut

01/11/2014 09:03 AM

Author Icon
captain kid
Peon

Hello, first post and I wanted to make a similar thread but I might as well post here.

It's definetly not normal because I have the same issue but just now (temporary I think) fixed it.

First I fixed it by disabling AMD Overdrive but somehow that fix did not stick. (This seems to be the most common solution found on the net)

And right now I used the Windows 7 settings to duplicate the screen and the tearing line is gone. I do not mean the Windowskey+p shortcut but going into the control panel to display options and  duplicate the screen from there.

What worries me is this solution might be temporary just like the first time I fixed it. Another thing which worries me is I've been using google and seeing threads about the same issue dating back to 2010!

There is definetly a bug in the driver.

edit.
When the tear line was there I could make it switch screens.

The screen which I made preferred would not have the line.

01/11/2014 09:45 AM

Author Icon
captain kid
Peon

Well, the tearing line is back.

I turned off duplicate to check out some other artifacts and now I can't get rid of the tearing line again.

It has to be some kind of sequence of actions using the AMD center, Windows Display settings and the windowskey+p shortcut.

01/13/2014 10:16 AM

Author Icon
captain kid
Peon

I thought I was being clever and make a shortcut in AMD center to switch between monitor and TV so I would not need dualview.

The line appears then as well! But not always.

Can I get some official help with this or should my next graphics card be a Nvidia?

01/13/2014 10:23 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: captain kid Can I get some official help with this or should my next graphics card be a Nvidia?

Did you miss the link on the bottom of the page? It's there for a reason.

Also you buy whatever card you want, but there's no need to use it as a threat. Actually, what's the point of threatening the community? We are users just like you. If I said I switched to an Intel CPU would you be afraid? I think not. See, I also don't care what card you have or will have. Go Matrox, they're more expensive than Macs.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/13/2014 01:14 PM

Author Icon
captain kid
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee
Originally posted by: captain kid Can I get some official help with this or should my next graphics card be a Nvidia?

Did you miss the link on the bottom of the page? It's there for a reason.

Also you buy whatever card you want, but there's no need to use it as a threat. Actually, what's the point of threatening the community? We are users just like you. If I said I switched to an Intel CPU would you be afraid? I think not. See, I also don't care what card you have or will have. Go Matrox, they're more expensive than Macs.

The threatening wasn't nice but I'm sick and tired of going to official forums and not getting any service. Thanks for letting me know these forums provide no official service at all.

I thought it would be like most official forums where there are service people answering questions and assisting with issues. (in theory at least, they often can't be bothered to provide usefull answers)

I'm not sure which link you are referring to. If you mean the contact AMD link, they apprently have no contact center in my country or in my language.

01/18/2014 12:40 AM

Author Icon
noty
Peon

The Problem with tearing on dualmonitor-setups is the issue with the timing clocks on radeon cards.

You can use the 12.3 Catalyst driver , which hasnt got any Idle-Clocks.

The advantage is, tearing is gone. The disadvantage is that your card will be running at a steady 775/1000-mode even when your PC is idling -> more power consumption + higher temperature.

01/18/2014 07:32 AM

Author Icon
captain kid
Peon

Originally posted by: noty The Problem with tearing on dualmonitor-setups is the issue with the timing clocks on radeon cards.

You can use the 12.3 Catalyst driver , which hasnt got any Idle-Clocks.

The advantage is, tearing is gone. The disadvantage is that your card will be running at a steady 775/1000-mode even when your PC is idling -> more power consumption + higher temperature.

Thanks for the info. I will make due with switching instead of dual view.

Do you know if Nvidia also has tearing? (I'm planning on buying a new GPU this year)

Statistics
84277 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.