Topic Title: 4K monitor issues
Topic Summary: Dell U2414Q@60 Hz with displayport 1.2
Created On: 01/13/2014 03:32 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/13/2014 03:32 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

Graphics Card
Club3d R9 290X's in crossfire

AMD Catalyst Driver Version, and Driver History
cat 13.12 whql

Operating System
Win 8.1 64 bit

Issue Details
I just purchased a 4K monitor and having some problems to properly display a stable 3840x2160 @60hz via MST on displayport 1.2.

Sometimes the resolution of the screen reverts back to 1920x2160 (one screen? it is eyefinety in theory), mostly after a system crash in a game due the famous blackscreenissue and/or, after a reboot . Switching the power on and off to the screen seems to help, not alway's, sometimes several attempts are needed, and after this, the desktop seems to be reorganized and windows 8(.1) autoscaling fails. Another reboot is requiered.

Also some games run only in weird resolutions, (Tombraider, DeusEx HR, and Hitman for example). The images in these games are stetched, others just just play's in a halfscreen? Some suggestions? I have GPU scaling on in catalyst settings and set keep full screen ticked on, is this the correct setting? Also set displayport on 1.2 in OSD of the monitor.

Motherboard or System Make & Model
Asus Maximus Hero VI (Z78 chipset)

Power Supply

Corsair AX1200i

Display Device(s) and Connection(s) Used
 Dell Ultrasharp UP2414Q on displayport to displayport cable, v 1.2

Applications and Games
Destop application area
DeusEx HM directors cut
Tombraider (2013)
Hitman

CPU Details
Intel 4770K@4,4gHz
44x  multi @ default voltages

Motherboard BIOS Version
- 11.07 I believe

System Memory Type & Amount
G.Skill 16 GB DDR3-2400 C @ 2400 speed

Additional Hardware
Intel 520 240 SSD
Intel X25 80 SSD

Additional Details
I tried to manually set a eyefinity groep at 2x1 but it doesn't stick all the time
3840x2160 @ 30 Hz seens to work right without any problems.

Is this known by AMD and are there some fixes coming in cat. 14.1?
Btw, I'm not blaiming AMD for this, maybe the problems lies within the OS or somewhere else.

Thanx for reading

Edited: 01/13/2014 at 03:57 PM by Skinner
 01/13/2014 06:03 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Originally posted by: Skinner Is this known by AMD and are there some fixes coming in cat. 14.1?

No one knows. Ask them maybe, but companies never answer, so don't make your hopes too high.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/14/2014 02:43 PM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee
Originally posted by: Skinner Is this known by AMD and are there some fixes coming in cat. 14.1?

Ask them maybe, but companies never answer, so don't make your hopes too high.

I fear it too. These big companies are king for not telling anything to their customers, like the blackscreens or the state of fixing the v-sync issue on 290CF.

On a side note. There is a 13.30 beta diver out, but fixing the v-sync issue.. no way, the crackle is happily in it....

01/16/2014 10:44 PM

Author Icon
Hclarkx
Peon

Skinner, et al,

I have almost exactly the same problems. The only additional problem is that the right half of the monitor is pink or lavender and my first 4K would not start when cold. And when the monitor would crap out the computer would spontaneously reboot.  I fiddled for a week and had Dell send me a replacement 4K. After 2 hours all the symptoms are the same except one new one; the menu button is very balky (and the right half lavender instead of pink). 

I started with an HD 7750 and upgraded to an R9 270X to no avail. I new my motherboard had issues so I replaced it (went from Asus to Gigbyte) and no improvement.  I've reinstalled the driver but have not tried a different driver.

It is starting to sound very much like a driver problem.  I have an old HD 4670 graphics card that I might try but it seems going back to an older driver or some such is warranted though I don't know if the older drivers will hook up to the very new R9 cards.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

01/17/2014 01:04 PM

Author Icon
Hclarkx
Peon

I've made some progress on the left/right half problen noted in my next above post. It is related to the Zonal Color Space setting under Color Settings. It's turned off but doesn't stay off even though the menu says it is off. If I set Preset Modes to Custom, and calibrate the monitor with my Datacolor Spyder all is fine for a while until a re-start, usually the next morning, gets me an off-color half of the monitor.  Zonal Color Space is still off, but clearly the monitor is not treating the two halves similarly.  The fact that one half has the color far off of normal (very pink or lavender) suggests that there is no color correcton of any kind on that half.  

If I fool with the settings for a while I can get the monitor to keep both halves the same and get back into Custom Color mode (which gives access to the three color gains for calibration) without the half problem where my calibration applies.  Until the next morning or some random time at which the monitor loses control of half the screen with my calibration only being correct for one half.  Seems to be a firmware problem though the fact that I don't know when the monitor is going to revert to the half problem suggests temperature or some such.

01/18/2014 11:09 PM

Author Icon
Hclarkx
Peon

Okay, I gave up using Custom color mode and a proper calibration.  After a while the right half of the monitor never had the right colors until I moved away from Custom Color mode.  The alternative was to use Color temperature mode and let the Spyder system to calibrate from that starting point.  I wanted a 6500K calibration.  Setting the monitor to 6500 gave me 5500K according to the Spyder system.  I set the color temp to 7500 and the result was a true 6100K.  I let the Datacolor system bring that up to 6500.  The result seems to be a decent calibration. 

I wonder, this seems to be a monitor firmware issue.  I wonder if there is a way to load new firmware into the monitor?

01/19/2014 09:50 AM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

Hi Hclarkx, the only way I get proper 3840x2160 resolution is to switch the power on and off when I get in the start scren of win 8.1. Everytime it boots on 1920x2160 and I have to do the power switch.

Also some games have wrong display when using 3840x2160, like half screen in the cutsenes menu and strange FOV's.

01/21/2014 02:33 AM

Author Icon
Hclarkx
Peon

Skinner,  Very much the same here.  I'm wearing out the on/off button getting the image back.  I'm on the computer 6 to 7 hours per day and not only have the boot and coming out of sleep problem but about every 30 minutes the screen goes to 1920x1080 or something like that and I have to cycle the monitor off to get back to 3840x2160.  Worse yet, 3 or 4 times per day the driver causes the computer to totally crash and re-boot.  I gave away my old 24" monitor so am stuck with this problem until AMD fixes it.  It seems they are in no hurry to do so since the same problems occur with the Dell 32" monitor that has been out for a while.  There's no doubt I've purchased my last AMD graphics card!

01/23/2014 12:14 AM

Author Icon
Hclarkx
Peon

I found a work-around to keep the monitor stable.  I set the Catalyst Performance / AMD Overdrive settings to Enable Graphics Overdrive and then set all three slider to the far left.  Setting them at intermediate settings did not help.  The Memory clock setting only seemed to have an effect when set to minimum (150 MHz on my HD 7750). At any other setting it would jump to the default 1125 MHz.  That seems to be a bug.  I'm sure this will not please you gamers, but I have a photography business to run and really need a stable system.  I have not noticed a degradation of performance in Lightroom or Photoshop.  The Mercury Engine based features of PS will be slower, but I rarely use those.

Now to find a place to put myself on the email list to receive notification of the next driver update.

UPDATE ......... System worked okay all day so I posted the above.  And 10 minutes later the monitor went into 1920x1080 or some such and required a re-start.  But, at least I haven't had a re-boot since making these adjustments.

UPDATE ......... I think this is helping, but not much.  I still get the monitor slipping into low res modes every hour or so.  But, I've had only one spontaneous reboot over four days.

Edited: 01/27/2014 at 02:24 PM by Hclarkx
 02/20/2014 11:40 PM

Author Icon
Hclarkx
Peon

I installed the new AMD 14.1 beta driver.  This driver does set up the 4K monitor and a 1280x1024 monitor properly (still must disable "one monitor" scaling in Windows).  But, the 4K display still goes blank every hour or so.  Turning it off and back on clears up the problem.  Have not had a Windows crash due to this driver yet.

Incidentally, old drivers must be uninstalled before installing 14.1.  And, apparently letting Windows Device Manager uninstall and delete the old driver is not sufficient.  AMD says to use their uninstaller in the Control Panel "Programs and Features" tool.

Also, Photoshop CC can't use the GPU acceleration features in the 14.1 beta driver.

UPDATE ..................................

I subsequently installed the 14.2 V 1.3 beta the day it came out. On the second re-boot, I got a blue screen (light blue) and a message about .NET corruption.  The AMD driver uses .NET services.  This turned out to be unfixable and fortunately I had a full Windows backup from just a few days earlier.

I do have the Dell UP2414Q working about 90% stable in DP 1.1 mode (30 Hz) and will live with that until sombody fixes the DP 1.2 problems (I still have to reboot the monitor once every 5 to 10 hours of use).  I also fixed my disappearing (when its moving) text cursor problem by slowing the cursor speed a bit below max.

Edited: 03/05/2014 at 03:52 PM by Hclarkx
 04/19/2014 01:13 PM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

Things have matured a bit, all games are now showing the correct res and fov, alltough some need manual editing in the configfile, but that's beyond AMD.

The issue with half screen still stands, oocaisionally tough.
I have filled in another reportform, but again it seems impossible to get any support or acknowlegde from AMD?? Is there anybody out there who looks at customers? Maybe I have to change my last name into Gates?

06/23/2014 10:33 PM

Author Icon
Skinner
Peon

Is there someone on the forums who know if a fix is near? AMD still have issues with the Dell UP2414Q in MST. I've report it long time ago at two sources.

07/06/2014 02:28 PM

Author Icon
wilmark
Peon

Graphics Card - XFX R7-260X-ZNJ4 Core Edition Radeon R7 260X

Monitor - Asus PB287Q x2

Radeon Driver - 14.6 Beta           6/24/2014

Motherboard Gigabyte GA-Z68X-UD3-B3

Processor i7 3.4 Ghz

OS – Windows 7 and 8.1

I purchased two of these Asus monitors on the first day they became available at newegg for use in a dual monitor photography/lightroom rig. Largely based on the positive review from PCmagazine. I was already set on the Samsung and the fact that there were mounting option caused me to shift to the Asus - which is great in that area. I also purchased a new Radeon R7 260 card as my nvidia 570 cards were not certified. The first day i set up One HDMI and One DP on the same card. I saw no problems on that day and i wrote a positive review on newegg. Using windows 7. On the second day i started to get all the problems described - the clicking, blacking out, not recovering from sleep, AND sometimes reboots while resizing windows OR playing video (even ordinary web video like youtube). This was windows 7 which posed additional problems with pixel density scaling. After the problems became progressively worse. I installed windows 8.1 ON ONE monitor. I was blown away by the difference in how well windows 8.1 scaled and presented itself in 4k. There was no going back to 7 now. The only problem i now encounter is that there is a 50/50 chance that i would have to reboot if the computer went to sleep. I have tried various settings (DP 1.2) and used both HDMI and DP and used different cables, although i dont have any of the special ones talked about in the forums. I am getting the same thing results with HDMI and DP. SInce using windows 8.1 i have not gotten ANY pops, clicks, shifts, splitting, or imaging problems i saw with windows 7. I am using the latest beta drive from AMD's website. I believe that this may be solved by drivers as most of the problems went away with Windows 8.1. I cannot RMA the monitor because i bought it in the US and brought it home in Trinidad (Caribbean) and it will be a hassle to return it. I am hopeful that i will get them both working on one card. I will continue to monitor this thread as this is where all the discussion is on this.

07/10/2014 02:36 AM

Author Icon
Hclarkx
Peon

I can't speak to Asus or Samsung 4K monitors, but it seems most of the issues with the Dell UP2414Q and larger versions was with the monitor firmware.  I now have a UP2414Q with updated firmware and it's behaving much better, including working at 60 Hz in DP 1.2 mode.  AMD released an updated driver for my graphics card in April and that may have helped as well.

Statistics
86403 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 6 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.