Topic Title: 2d Clock temperatures
Topic Summary: Display flickering issue/anomaly.
Created On: 01/27/2014 09:26 PM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 01/27/2014 09:26 PM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
BornDownUnder
Peon

So with the latest beta and the leaked 13.30 beta drivers, I have noticed an issue/anomaly where if gpu temperatures are below ~40 degress centigrade I get intermittent screen flickering, regardless of upgrade or complete fresh install.

With today being 40+ degrees, I have not noticed any screen flickering at all, with the gpu thermal sitting on 43, the lowest gpu temp being shader at 39-40.

Any clues as to why?

GPU specs:

Gigabyte wf ocII hd6970 2gb

250/150 2D clocks

950/1475 - 3D clocks

13.30 beta drivers.

-------------------------

Ever been 103km/h on a bicycle?

Edited: 01/27/2014 at 10:55 PM by BornDownUnder
 01/28/2014 05:13 PM

Author Icon
BornDownUnder
Peon

So 25 views and nobody at all has an idea?

The flickering appears to be as if it is trying to utilize a second display, though I have a setup of one monitor, no other displays at all.

It mainly appears on the lower half of the screen, covering the full width, with what I can see as the 'picture' being roughly half off the bottom of the screen, though it flickers alot when the anomaly does appear.

When the GPU warms up after 5-10 minutes, even from sitting on desktop, it no longer flickers, after going into a 3d clock with the temperatures rising to normal usage, upon dropping back to 2d clocks, the anomaly is no longer present...

Any ideas at all guys? I've tried everything I can think of other than rolling back two versions of drivers as these betas are nice and stable in quality and performance.

Also to note, the memIO temp, not the shaderIO temp is the lowest.

01/28/2014 07:37 PM

Author Icon
daniel41003
Peon

My Gigabyte 7970 GHz has had that same flickering problem since 13.10 and up. I'm still using 13.9 because it's the only drivers that work. It's incredibly frustrating, and I'm gaining an understanding for why the general consensus is that Nvidia has far better driver support. I'd like to think 14.1 will finally fix it, but I won't be holding my breath considering this issue has persisted over several beta drivers and even the WHQL-certified 13.12 release.

I never tied it to temperature, but it makes sense since the flickering never happens while running a game. It's only on web browsing, netflix, youtube, etc.

01/28/2014 07:52 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

Report the issue, people and use something that works until it gets fixed.

http://www.amd.com/report

http://www.amd.com/betareport

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

01/30/2014 07:56 AM

Author Icon
BornDownUnder
Peon

Originally posted by: Eydee Report the issue, people and use something that works until it gets fixed.

http://www.amd.com/report

http://www.amd.com/betareport

Not meaning to come off as rude or condescending,

I posted on the forums asking if anybody had any ideas as to the issue, not for a couple of links to the report to tech forms... If I wanted a link to report to techs I would have searched for it.

Getting back to the question I posted,

Does anybody have any idea as to why only the 2d clocks are causing intermittent flickering, 3d clocks work perfectly fine in all scenarios at any temperature from what I am experiencing.

In terms of rolling back I would prefer not to as it isn't much of an issue for me, just an inconvenience for 5-10 minutes after first booting up.

Statistics
84884 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.