Topic Title: 0x116 BSOD with 13.12 drivers
Topic Summary: Using an MSi R7770 128 bit 1GB GDDR5 card
Created On: 02/04/2014 05:18 AM
Linear : Threading : Single : Branch
Search Topic Search Topic
Topic Tools Topic Tools
View similar topics View similar topics
View topic in raw text format. Print this topic.
 02/04/2014 05:18 AM
User is offline View Users Profile Print this message

Author Icon
TenVal89
Peon

I recently got an R7770 to replace my old Nvidia GT440 and I just can't seem to get rid of this problem with the display driver stopping and restarting (atikmdag.sys) but still giving me a BSOD. It seems to be on a case by case basis, to list off a few games I play and specify if I get a BSOD during gameplay:

1) Phantasy Star Online 2 (only ever got it once and it stopped when I set CCC to force V-Sync systemwide)
2) TERA (as of this topic, this has only happened twice, barring the game's poor optimization for anything not in Korea's hardware range)
3) The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (Just about every session after some time)
4) F.E.A.R (ditto)
5) Dead Space 1 (BSOD on startup but even though CCC has V-Sync forced on my 60Hz monitor, Bandicam's FPS counter reads Dead Space going up as high as 900+ FPS before the whole thing implodes, this in particular concerns me) Dead Space 2 (nothing, perfect), Dead Space 3 (same, perfect)
6) Darksiders II (a BSOD occurred frequently at one particular location that CCC's V-Sync rectified, so this as far as I know, runs perfectly as of this writing)
7) Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance (perfectly fine)
8) Injustice: Gods Among Us and Mortal Kombat Komplete Edition (both run perfect, with SweetFX enabled for both)

When idle, the computer is just fine, it boots up fine, I can watch videos just fine, I can emulate as good as the emulator can get (PCSX2 in particular runs perfectly fine). Running MSi Kombustor shows the card at 40 C at rest and ~60 C when at 99% load for the past 30 minutes (somewhat steady 60fps, Direct3D 9 mode, Horus). I didn't OC anything at all from general paranoia. At most I use 4x MSAA on TERA with maybe 8x or 16x AF on the games that didn't trigger this BSOD. My system specs are:

AMD Radeon R7770 (MSi 1GB GDDR5 128-bit)
AMD FX 4100 Quad Core 3.6GHz
MSi 970A-G46
8GB RAM
Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Rosewill RG630-S12 630W PSU, 50A on the 12V rail

I've tried reinstalling the drivers, installing them without CCC, disabling the HD Audio drivers it comes with, nothing worked. I got an idea earlier today however of just installing the drivers the card came with (9.12) and I get no BSODs anymore. The card's performance in tests is peculiar as well. With the 13.12 drivers, I can run Kombustor, FurMark, and Unigine flawlessly, no problems at all, but trying the 3dmark demo on Steam causes it to BSOD about a quarter of the way during the first test. The 14.1 beta drivers didn't even cause a BSOD or get a second in one 3dmark, it just made my computer freeze up completely. The 9.12 drivers however can still run all other GPU testing software I have, and still gives up at 3dmark, but instead actually recovers instead of giving me a BSOD for it timing out. Note that I installed the newest 13.12 drivers when I got the card, so this was happening even with a clean install of both it and Windows 7. I'm glad I got the BSOD sorted out for the most part using the older drivers and as you can probably tell from my list, I don't play many mainstream games, except maybe Skyrim so is there a solution to the BSOD issue I'm having with 13.12? And will I have any problems just sticking with 9.12 until 14 gets a full release? Off the top of my head, the only recent games that interest me and installed on my computer are Super Street Fighter IV, Skyrim, Deadpool, and Resident Evil 6.

I appreciate any input I get on this issue, thanks.

02/04/2014 06:19 AM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

According to msi.com there is no such motherboard as 970A-G46, only
970A-G45. Was it a typo or is it an OEM motherboard?

Whichever it is, you should get the latest BIOS update for it and try your card again.

-------------------------

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/04/2014 06:47 AM

Author Icon
TenVal89
Peon

http://us.msi.com/product/mb/970A-G46.html
Here it is, and I updated the BIOS yesterday. Aside from making my computer boot extremely fast, it didn't solve the BSOD issue with the 13.12.
After playing F.E.A.R, I once again froze but Windows said the driver had successfully recovered and when I alt+tab'd back, the game ran fine again. (this is using the 9.12 drivers) No BSOD, but a simple recovery.
Using Afterburner I see the core is at 1000 MHz and the memory is at 1125 MHz and reading up on someone that solved their issue with this same exact card reduced both by 25 MHz, however their memory clock was at 1100, not 1125. Would there be any performance issues by underclocking like this?

02/04/2014 01:04 PM

Author Icon
TenVal89
Peon

Ok so after some experimenting, toning down the clock speeds worked but I wanted to see if there was a way to have the error go away while using the card's stock speeds and one of these two things worked:

1) I went against my norm and installed the 13.12 drivers on top of the 9.12 drivers (no driver sweeping)

2) I used Sapphire Trixxx to raise the fan speed to a constant 70% (normally 30%) and raised the voltage from 1200 to 1250.

Played around in F.E.A.R for about an hour and no more TDR bugcheck. Anyone have an idea why either, or both, those actions may have alleviated the problem? 

02/06/2014 02:00 PM

Author Icon
kajarin
Peon

i'm having the same issue with the same graphic card (MSI HD 7770 1GB)

I'm playing with Call of Duty Modern Warfare, and just tried NFS Hot Pursuit.Everything is running fine for an amount of time, and than suddenly BSoD with 0x116. (For a half second, about 1/10 of time, it shows a box saying "Direct x has stopped working: unrevealled error" or simething like that)

It was fine during the 2013 spring, and during summer, but with this (13.12 driver) i have the same error.

Is it a really stable with reduced Mhz's? or with 14.1 beta driver?

ASUS P8-B75M-LX PLUS, Intel I5 3350P, MSI HD7770, 2x4 GB CSX RAM 1600Mhz, Cooler Master 600W

Edited: 02/06/2014 at 02:26 PM by kajarin
 02/06/2014 05:11 PM

Author Icon
TenVal89
Peon

As of right now, I had to junk my graphics card...

Nah, I'm kidding, but as of right now I turned my voltage down back to stock, just being cautious but still raised my fan speed to 70%, everything runs now just fine, been having fun in Batman Arkham Origins, and even run Tera somewhat better now.

As I said earlier, I'm not sure which of the two things I did worked, but I do know the reduced clock speeds were a surefire fix, I wouldn't think it'd impact performance that much so if you're comfortable with that, try it. Otherwise, I don't know what else to tell you, if you want to try what I did above feel free, if yours is the same as mine, it came with a disc that had its own drivers: the 9.12 ones. I personally don't like beta anything, and I had the computer completely hang with the 14.1 on 3Dmark. 

But for the record, I never got the kind of error you got concerning Direct X, maybe reinstall DirectX or install the one that came with Hot Pursuit? (even if it's the same version, games get picky I notice, if you don't install the DirectX that IT comes with) 

02/06/2014 09:37 PM

Author Icon
Eydee
Ninja Zombie Killer

If you need to underclock the card or set a custom fan speed to get it to work, it means it's faulty. Then you have to ask the manufacturer to fix it by a BIOS update, and if they can't do that, you need to RMA the card. In that case, it's wise to choose something from a different manufacturer (e.g. Asus instead of MSI).

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 810 @ 3120MHz | RAM: Kingmax 2x2GB DDR2 800 @ 833MHz| MoBo: MSI K9A2 CF v1.0 (BIOS: 1.D)| GPU: Asus HD 6850 1024MB (DirectCu) @ 835/1135MHz | Display: L24FHD | PSU: PC Power & Cooling Silencer 750 Quad | OS: MS Windows 3.11 Pro x64

02/07/2014 07:39 PM

Author Icon
TenVal89
Peon

I've submitted a support form to MSi after reading your reply, I'll see what they say. A BIOS fix would be great if it solves the problem completely, better than being paranoid that the increased fan speed is harming the thing, lol.

Statistics
85719 users are registered to the AMD Support and Game forum.
There are currently 3 users logged in.

FuseTalk Hosting Executive Plan v3.2 - © 1999-2014 FuseTalk Inc. All rights reserved.